My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Unit locking up

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kevb

Hi
    New to this but not to Humax PVRs. The clock on my 6 year old 9200 died so I bought a Fox T2 16 months ago. I'm now on my fifth, the others having had various noise / locking up / HDD problems. Last night the latest incarnation locked up so I switched off and back on - okay. Same again tonight and it tells me the HDD needs formatting and has zero content. The HDD is half full! I've done a Factory Default reset. Any (printable) thoughts?

| Wed 27 Feb 2013 21:16:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Kevb - 13 minutes ago  » 
    The clock on my 6 year old 9200 died

Just for information, that is a fixable problem.

Same again tonight and it tells me the HDD needs formatting and has zero content.

This is a known problem with the hard drives used by the Humax; the easiest fix is to install the custom firmware that has special tools to correct the problem, usually without loss of data. If you don't want to do that then a format is the only fix.

| Wed 27 Feb 2013 21:33:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kevb

Thanks for the reply. "fixable problem" - after six years, I decided it didn't owe me and I can still use it to record as long as I don't switch it to standby. "custom firmware" - how do I go about finding and installing it?

| Wed 27 Feb 2013 21:38:32 #11 |
  4. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Kevb - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply. "fixable problem" - after six years, I decided it didn't owe me and I can still use it to record as long as I don't switch it to standby.

Just have a read at the following link and you could easily fix it yourself and go back to recording from standby.
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/the-9200-problem

Admin Edit: Link changed to thread on our own forum.

| Wed 27 Feb 2013 23:07:41 #12 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Kevb - 2 hours ago  » 
    "custom firmware" - how do I go about finding and installing it?

Start at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Main_Page You install it from a USB memory stick in the same way as a normal manual firmware update. Note that it doesn't replace the standard firmware, it enhances it.

| Thu 28 Feb 2013 0:41:28 #13 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kevb

Thanks again for your help. This looks promising on both counts but I'll wait 'til the weekend to make sure I've got the time it will probably need!
    I will report back on progress.

| Thu 28 Feb 2013 19:54:09 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kevb

All seemed well with the Firmware update and modified Firmware installation but no success with connecting to the Humax IP address. TV Portal is working (does it need to be connected during the operation?) and the laptop is connected to same wi-fi router. Any thoughts? Cheers

| Sun 3 Mar 2013 17:41:21 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Kevb - 2 hours ago  » 
    All seemed well with the Firmware update and modified Firmware installation but no success with connecting to the Humax IP address. TV Portal is working (does it need to be connected during the operation?) and the laptop is connected to same wi-fi router.

First question is does it show the custom firmware version when bringing the box out of standby? How are you trying to connect (web browser, telnet etc)? The TV portal does not need to be connected whilst accessing the Humax.

| Sun 3 Mar 2013 19:58:00 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kevb

Thanks Martin. Out of standby, it is just as it was previously. There's nothing different to previous startup but the software has been updated to the latest official version. I tried to connect with the Web browser on a laptop connected to the same wifi network. Sorry if this all seems simple stuff but that's me!

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 20:27:52 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Kevb,

if you've had 5 of these boxes then it looks like there are other problems.I'd be starting to question the environment after 2. Are there any other devices playing up? Do you live in the middle of nowhere with power supply problems? or are you switching the Fox T2 off at the back or plug socket first?

Anyway, take a look at the FoxT2's ip address in menu. settings. system, internet setting, configure lan, ip address
    take the number from the ip address, it'll be something like 192.168.1.3 and type this into your web browser on your laptop.
    You should get a web page, follow the instructions.

If you don't then you've probably not got the custom firmware installed. In this case check that you've ftp enabled; menu, settings, system, internet setting, ftp server and set this to on.
    Back on you laptop type ftp:// along with the ip address from the humax, into your web browser, i.e. if your ip address was 192.168.1.3 then type in ftp://192.168.1.3 in your web browser

If you get a login box then you're connected to the humax, you can put in the login: humaxftp and the password: 0000
    if you want. If you get this far then the network is fine, but you haven't installed the custom firmware. Install the custom firmware and follow the instructions

If none of this works or makes sense, then don't worry, the more info you can provide the easier we can help. Let us know the ip address of the humax as well as the ip address of your laptop. To get the ip address of the laptop, open up a 'command prompt' and type ipconfig
    we're looking for the ipv4 address, subnet and gateway, should be something like 192.168.1.4 and then 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1

There're enough people here who can help and I don't think any one of us would like to see you send box 5 back for replacement 6. The custom firmware once installed and set up will help you figure out most problems.

| Wed 6 Mar 2013 21:23:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.