My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Upgrade to 2tb hard drive?

(7 posts)
  1. Davy

Davy

special member

My 1tb hard drive is nearly full and I want to upgrade to a 2tb hard drive.
    What is the best one to buy and where to get it, plus, I need instructions on how to fit it as I'm not tech savvy. I know I will loose old recordings unless I watch them first, but feel it would be better if I had more space .
    Is ther any drawbacks and has anyone had any problems when after fitting it after using it for a while?
    Appreciate any comments..
    Thanks
    Have a 1010s,white version...

| Thu 23 Oct 2014 11:06:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

I fitted my WD 2TB drive (WD20EURX) a few months ago and had no issues so far what so ever, the only thing i'd tell you to bear in mind is the drive i used (WD20EURX) need a jumper put across the pins at the backof the drive to force it to run at a slower speed.

When i done my instal i did take a load of images as i was going to put it on here but not got around to it yet, if you want i can zip them up and upload them somewhere so you will aware of what to expect before you dive in, too be honest a trained monkey could do it, there is nothing to worry about rip out old one (i kept my old drive) whack in the new and boot up and format it was that simple, by the way i have the Black 1000 version but same meat differnt gravy.

All1

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 0:25:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pilotrcuk

Interested in purchasing an HDR-1000S and upgrading the HDD straight away. Is there anything I need to look out for in purchasing a HDD, other than it being "AV" spec (no error correction)? I've seen people using WD20EURS which seems to be defunct now, which was SATA-300, so wondering if the drive All1 fitted was SATA-600, hence why the jumper had to be changed? Guess I'd like as big an HDD as I can get, within reason, are there any concerns such as power consumption, capacity, etc?
    Many thanks!
    Al

| Fri 28 Nov 2014 17:17:26 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

pilotrcuk - 13 hours ago  » 
    Interested in purchasing an HDR-1000S and upgrading the HDD straight away. Is there anything I need to look out for in purchasing a HDD, other than it being "AV" spec (no error correction)? I've seen people using WD20EURS which seems to be defunct now, which was SATA-300, so wondering if the drive All1 fitted was SATA-600, hence why the jumper had to be changed? Guess I'd like as big an HDD as I can get, within reason, are there any concerns such as power consumption, capacity, etc?
    Many thanks!
    Al

You will only find SATA-600 AV drives around now (yes that is the reason for jumper, I don't know if this is actually necessary, perhaps you can post details of the disk in the Humax when you come to upgrade and if it has a jumper.
    Capacity - 2GB is fine - Max size is as yet unknown.
    Power consumption is always a concern - The WD and Seagate AV drives are all fine.

| Sat 29 Nov 2014 6:37:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jmc196

Hi - I have an experience that varies from this .. today I attempted to install a WD20EURX (6gbps 2Tb drive) with the jumper setting to reduce it to 3gbps .. despite other people's experiences I cannot get the drive to be recognised by the HDR-1000s and only putting the original 500Gb drive gives me any options on the Settings->System Settings->Storage menu. Am I doing something wrong? The WD20EURX was new from Amazon yesterday and I can hear it spinning up - but is not recognised by the HDR? Any suggestions welcomed,

Thanks.

| Wed 24 Dec 2014 22:05:44 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The behaviour I would expect is that, after ensuring the drive is correctly fitted, and connected you should receive a message that it needs to be formatted and the unit should offer to do that.
    I would have a loot at the drive in a PC with disk manager - It should have no partitions. Also check that the jumper is fitted on the correct pins (check at the WD site).

Can you post details of the drive that Humax fitted and if it had a jumper and when you bought it.

| Thu 25 Dec 2014 8:04:12 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

p.s. Make sure that you have correctly identified where pin 1 is.

see: http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf
    Opt 1, figure. 2, drawing. 4,

| Thu 25 Dec 2014 9:44:17 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.