My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

USB problem

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Maindrain

Hi, just joined as I have a problem with getting the HB 100S to record onto a USB.

I have a SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB USb, the Humax will recognise it, I them format the USB using the Humax, it says that only 2% of the disc is used. When I try to record it states the disc is full so it cannot record. I have tried several times, the problem seems to be after formatting and then setting it as the hard drive to record.

If anyone has any advice on this it would be much appreciated.

Maindrian

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 14:25:25 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

The unit will not record to a pendrive, it has to be a HDD see FAQ for info on what I have tested to date.

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 15:10:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

You'd think with the larger capacities and tiny physical sizes nowadays that usb sticks would be ideal, tucked away out of sight.

Unfortunately the usb sticks, pendrives, thumbdrives etc. aren't designed to have data (couple of hours pause/rewind/chase-play buffer) constantly written and over-written to them when the box is on.

Any new'ish 2.5" portable drive, start at around £30 for 320GB and upwards will be fine. There are also plenty of 500GB and 1TB 2.5" portable drives around for not much more, choose one with the longest warranty, some still have 3 years.

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 17:52:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Maindrain

Thanks for all the advice, of to shop for a hard drive. I have a Iomega drive which is recognised by the Humax, is there any way I can connect this up?

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 18:03:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

just to be clear, the 2.5" portable drives I was referring to are external usb powered, not bare hard drives.

There is a difference between portable and desktop (as far as external goes), the portable don't need any additional power supply whereas the desktop tend to be 3.5" and need an additional power supply.

The 2.5" are better as they are smaller, quieter and don't need the extra power supply and will start up as and when the humax does. The 3.5" are better for cost and reliability, but are more cumbersome and need to be left switched on or switched on before the humax.

If the Iomega is a desktop external usb drive then you can use that, connect the usb, power up the drive, power up the humax and format it for use with the humax if necessary

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 22:57:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Maindrain

Hi, just a word of thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this. I purchased a 1TB HDD from Argos for £49.99, and it works a treat. Looking forward to a long, happy and subscription free relationship with my Humax :-).

Thanks.

| Fri 13 Feb 2015 12:04:41 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Barry can you move above #7 to a new thread in the correct section please.

| Thu 2 Jul 2015 11:58:00 #8 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Barry can you move above #7 to a new thread in the correct section please.

Done - Post has been moved to This thread

| Thu 2 Jul 2015 12:02:11 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.