My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

VCR recording - text not clear

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pete P

Back again! I have a VCR connected via an RCA - SCART cable.VCR is connected to the TV via SCART.
    Whilst the VCR records TV pictures ok, any text associated with the picture (eg quiz shows) is blurred.Any ideas?

| Mon 3 Mar 2014 10:20:49 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Pete,

the lowest standard resolution of a tv picture is around 576 lines to build up the picture of what you see on the screen. Analogue tv has now been switched off so everybody receives digital tv pictures of at least this resolution.
    The older VHS vcr's had a resolution of around 185 lines, some were better than others.
    This means when you record from freesat to your vcr you are only going to be able to record around 1/3 of the available picture/signal, which used to be acceptable for viewing tv, but even 15-20 lines of recorded ceefax used to be a problem on VHS. This is why, even years ago, VHS always looked worse than the broadcast live tv. Nowadays with everybody watching digital the difference between VHS and broadcast tv is like night and day.
    Broadcasters assume all the viewers are now watching on at least a digital 576 line resolution so text doesn't have to be as big on the screen as it used to be.
    There are some things you can try, but it probably won't make much difference. If your vcr has two scart sockets then use the one marked tv to connect to your tv, rather than the rca-scart lead and set the vcr output and tv input for s-video or rgb if possible, try cleaning the heads on the vcr.
    At the end of the day though, you're fighting a losing battle, keep the vcr for cherished video tapes only, it's not really fit for purpose in a digital world.
    A modern recordable freeview/freesat box is pretty easy to operate these days. there are a lot of people here who will have a recordable box for their main tv room and use a simpler box in another room to either watch live tv or to connect to and playback from the main recordable box

| Mon 3 Mar 2014 16:11:40 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RGB input/outputs on vcr's are as rare as hens teeth, and s-video you will only find on S-VHS recorders (these record the luminance and chrominance separately avoiding the cross talk issues you get with composite video.

| Mon 3 Mar 2014 16:17:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pete P

Thank you both for your detailed replies. The VCR works ok connected to a 2 year old Foxsat HDR, but that has 2 scart sockets. I need to be able to record in the kitchen and play in the lounge and vice versa, hence the 2 VCRs. Without running cables between the 2 rooms, how could I achieve my goal as above?
    I would consider buying another Humax with record facility if this could be achieved ... easily. My wife is a 74 year old technophobe!

| Tue 4 Mar 2014 11:52:02 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not entirely clear what arrangement you have.

In the Lounge assume Foxsat and one vcr with a aerial connection to the TV.

In the Kitchen assume vcr and TV, does this TV also have an aerial connection, if so do you know how the cables are routed from the aerial ?

Do both the TV's have Freeview ?

With the above arrangement you could only record in the lounge and playback in both locations, unless you record from the kitchen TV scart socket.

If you have an aerial coax from lounge to kitchen you could watch the Foxsat recordings directly on the Kitchen TV assuming it has an analogue TV tuner.

| Tue 4 Mar 2014 12:34:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pete P

Before the satellite change I had a Pace Sky digibox in the lounge, cabled via scart to a vcr and TV, and a scart from vcr to TV.This was replicated in the kitchen.
    Soon after fitting new dish and lnbs, the kitchen box failed to pick up the signal. I had a Foxsat upstairs, so use that in the kitchen, it has 2 scart sockets, 1 scart to the vcr and 1 scart back, and an HDMI between Foxsat & TV (tv has 1 scart & 1 HDMI).

We had a storm overnight, the lounge Pace Sky digibox has now died - no sat signal being received. So I now have the 1000s in its place, HDMI to the TV, RCA/SCART to the VCR and scart from VCR to TV. Both TVs have freeview.

I both cases the satellite feed goes to the humax.

Installing additional cables is not an option.

| Tue 4 Mar 2014 15:52:54 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

So you have a satellite connection to the kitchen. Can you access this cable say in the loft by disconnecting it from the lnb. Is there an aerial connection cable in the lounge. Basically can you create a coax link from lounge to kitchen. Other than that a video sender may be the answer.

| Tue 4 Mar 2014 16:02:27 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pete P

Video sender? I have a CGV Freeline Wireless Trasmitter which I used to get the TV signal up to my 'den' before I had a sat. feed there. Is this what you mean?

| Tue 4 Mar 2014 16:16:25 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pete P - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Video sender? I have a CGV Freeline Wireless Trasmitter which I used to get the TV signal up to my 'den' before I had a sat. feed there. Is this what you mean?

Sounds like it yes. Not familiar with that model though.

| Tue 4 Mar 2014 16:21:50 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Pete,

am I correct in thinking you have a Foxsat HDR in the kitchen and a HB1000S in the lounge, both have satellite cable connected and both work?
    If so, are they connected to the internet and how, i.e. do you have a router, if so where is it physically in relation to the boxes, and is one or both boxes connected to it and how?

Unless I'm missing something, at most all you need is a pair of network home plugs, around £25 for a 500mbps pair to get the boxes network connected, I don't have a HB1000S, but once network connected I assume it would be able to view/playback anything that's recorded on the Foxsat HDR. Alternatively a small portable 500GB or 1TB £40 - £50 can be connected to the HB1000S and you can record on that as well.

I guess I haven't fully understood how everything is or isn't connected, but if you want to watch recorded programmes in another room it should be too difficult. Using VHS tapes would be a last resort. I'm not a keen fan of video senders, but if you have one and it works well for you then that maybe the way forward. However, if you do have two working boxes and they are not network connected then that would be the first thing I'd sort out with a pair of network homeplugs.

| Wed 5 Mar 2014 15:35:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.