My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Want to watch videos from a PC on HDR1000S

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

I've got a USB drive with lots of video files on it (.mp4, .avi mostly) and it's currently plugged into my HDR1000S and works great. The Humax has a wide range of formats that it supports.

If I want to put new files onto the USB drive though, I have to unplug it and connect it to a computer, then plug it back into the Humax again. Not ideal, but also not a huge problem either.

What I'd prefer is that an XP computer I've got (which runs 24/7) keeps the USB drive plugged into it all the time, and that XP computer share its media files to the Humax (and other computers and tablets) via wifi. The Humax already has a wifi dongle that it uses for ondemand.

Is there a recommended media server solution for this? These aren't going to be full HD files, so going over wifi won't be a bandwidth issue. Is it essential that the host PC be on wifi? Or just on the same network? It's currently connected by LAN cable, but doesn't have to be.

| Mon 7 Apr 2014 12:44:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There's no need to connect the usb drive to the HDR1000S to replay compatible files. The box has DLNA client software.

A DLNA server on your PC will make the files playable directly - Windows Media Player is a DLNA server.

It doesn't matter how your PC is connected to your network.

It works fine for HD incidentally provided your WiFi connection to the HDR1000s is fast enough.

| Mon 7 Apr 2014 13:00:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoomaxing

Thanks Graham, it's working great on my Humax

| Mon 7 Apr 2014 20:00:28 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.