My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

watch hard drive recordings on laptop

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Hello

I have 2x foxsat hdrs and 2x external hard drives to store recordings on and play on both players {in different rooms} Can I watch these recordings on my laptop when I'm away from home? Do I need to download software? The Hard drive is toshiba storE 1Tb formatted ext3. Not recognised in thisPC but listed in devices. Can't open it though. My older hard drive is an iomega 320Gb formatted .ts and I just discovered I can play recordings on it with the laptop. Couldn't get this to work on old laptop but works on new windows 8.1 machine. How can I get it to play the ext3 files? Can anyone help?

Bob

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 3:44:16 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Only way I know to watch recordings away from home is to use a slingbox.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 10:31:52 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I download stuff from iPlayer on my tablet to watch while away from home.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 11:02:35 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bob793 - 7 hours ago  » 
    My older hard drive is an iomega 320Gb formatted .ts and I just discovered I can play recordings on it with the laptop.

What do you mean by formatted .ts? I would have thought it would probably be FAT32?

How can I get it to play the ext3 files?

EXT3 is a file system not a file type. You need an EXT3 file system driver installing on a Windows PC such as Ext2Fsd see Link to Ext2Fsd With that or something similar you will be able to see the .ts files.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 11:25:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

Thanks for replies and please excuse my lack of savvy. I was only able to get the hard drives to work with humax after following instructions on this forum. I got the Iomega about 4-5 years ago and the toshiba about 2 years ago. What I can remember is that the toshiba was formatted differently to allow it to accept bigger files. I thought that was the ext3 bit. Not sure what a sling box is but I don't think I've got one. Iplayer is ok if I have wifi when away but not the same as having 1tb of movies to choose from, especially all my kids favourites.

I've downloaded ext2fsd and run the exe but it has no effect. Iffy looking download, hope I've not got malvirus Trojan worms! I think I've downloaded it before on my old laptop but it didn't do anything on it either. Can you offer any reassurance that ext2fsd is harmless? Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for trying to help.

Bob

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 0:14:49 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bob793 - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I've downloaded ext2fsd and run the exe but it has no effect.

As you haven't told us what you did; it is hard to guess where you went wrong. Try following the steps in the Howto for Ext2FSD

Iffy looking download, hope I've not got malvirus Trojan worms! Can you offer any reassurance that ext2fsd is harmless?

For what little it is worth, I believe it to be reputable.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 0:31:04 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Slingbox

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=slingbox&x=0&y=0

You need a reasonable upload speed from your isp.

Alternative as already said is copy content to a hard drive before you go. 1TB USB hard drives are widely available.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 10:18:07 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

I finally got ext2fsd to work. Step by step instructions were very helpful. Been putting off looking at this because I expected it to take a lot of time but actually straightforward. Thank you for your help.

| Sat 27 Dec 2014 3:42:48 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.