My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Watching through Co-axial cable

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

buffster

I was trying to set up my mum's Humax so she can watch recorded programs in the kitchen as well as the lounge, but I couldn't find the output. I tried scanning both digital and analogue, but found nothing. What channel is the output on please?

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 14:55:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

buffster - 22 minutes ago  » 
    I was trying to set up my mum's Humax so she can watch recorded programs in the kitchen as well as the lounge, but I couldn't find the output. I tried scanning both digital and analogue, but found nothing. What channel is the output on please?

There is no modulator so it isn't possible to watch recorded programs via the aerial out socket. You could use a SCART modulator which should do the trick eg Link to eBay seller

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 15:22:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

buffster

Thanks for your response.

Bit disappointing imo that I'll have to buy something just so I can link it to another room, surely there should be a usable output from a £180 machine.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 18:41:00 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

buffster - 35 seconds ago  » 
    Thanks for your response.
    Bit disappointing imo that I'll have to buy something just so I can link it to another room, surely there should be a usable output from a £180 machine.

RF modulators haven't been included in any recent boxes for a long time. Even recent Sky boxes have removed the internal modulator and instead providing a socket for an optional external plug in add on device.

A modulator provides a mono audio low quality analogue TV channel that requires a remote TV with analogue PAL tuning capability.

No idea how long new TV's will offer this capability now that broadcast analogue TV isn't available in the UK (and many other European countries)

It's a very outdated and relatively low SD only distribution system. For a HD capable modern PVR there are much better ways of viewing content remotely. It's OK for small screen sets in Kitchens and Bedrooms but gives very poor quality on larger screen TV's.

It's part of a general reduction in old analogue technology.

You now only get 1 analogue scart socket on most kit, not even this on Blu-ray players. Multiple scart inputs on TV's have been replaced with HD capable HDMI, Component and VGA Analogue Inputs.

I use such a system to feed a small screen Kitchen TV. I use one modulator to provide this feed for 4 boxes using a simple selector switch to send the appropriate signals to the modulator. That way the kitchen TV can view any of the 4 boxes independently of the main TV.

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?terms=HQSW-AV210&source=googleproducts&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr-KeBRCMh92Ax9rNgJ8BEiQA1OVm-N-ds74j-lp2punha21nXHzmq4ZbPw2ZISMgmnuOocIaApfR8P8HAQ

The 4 boxes are

Foxsat-HDR (circa 2008)
    Two HDR-Fox T2's
    HDR 1000S

Really good quality modulators aren't cheap.

http://www.tradeworks.tv/acatalog/VISION_V40-104_UHF_Modulator.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwr-KeBRCMh92Ax9rNgJ8BEiQA1OVm-HR-ktyLMgeo_aW3ME_u6_cKV5t79MMbJBwqTfwppTsaAofd8P8HAQ

I doubt most would want to add this sort of cost to a box for an option that they may never use.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 18:51:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

buffster

I appreciate that co-ax is old fashioned and offers poorer quality but I'm sure my mum's house isn't alone in having it built in to pipe TV around within it. Not everyone lives in new houses with built in HDMI cabling or whatever, or can afford to have such stuff routed around by ripping up floors, ceilings, plaster etc, but an awful lot of homes do have co-ax networks already in existence, and to not offer something that make use of this is poor imo.

By all means use a better method when the TV and Humax are in the same room, but Humax shouldn't assume that people won't still want to use existing cabling to watch in other rooms.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 19:12:48 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

buffster - 1 minute ago  » 
    I appreciate that co-ax is old fashioned and offers poorer quality but I'm sure my mum's house isn't alone in having it built in to pipe TV around within it. Not everyone lives in new houses with built in HDMI cabling or whatever, or can afford to have such stuff routed around by ripping up floors, ceilings, plaster etc, but an awful lot of homes do have co-ax networks already in existence, and to not offer something that make use of this is poor imo.
    By all means use a better method when the TV and Humax are in the same room, but Humax shouldn't assume that people won't still want to use existing cabling to watch in other rooms.

No other Freeview+ or Freesat+ box includes this capability. Sky have persisted until recently with the system largely because it adds the magic eye remote control extension capability. Even Sky now requires extra kit to use this capability.

In common with other makers the inclusion of internal modulators ceased pre 2008.

If I remember correctly the last Humax PVR to include the capability was the 9200 Freeview box.

You are rather late to the party.

There are loads of examples of outdated technology that are not now included on modern kit.

See my edit re the cost of providing a quality modulator.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 19:19:28 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is the industry who have dropped it.
    Hopefully something like MoCA will be adopted by the industry?
    At one time it was slated for new freetime units but did not make it for some reason (perhaps no TV support?).

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 19:20:49 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.