My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Weird issues over failed recordings

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rotty

Have had an annoyance of every program I have attempted to SCHEDULE record on Quest failing. YouView doesn't appear to give any sort of failure reasons, which is annoying. No failures on any other channel, though I've yet to try and record from each one.

Did a few tests which indicate weird behaviour and I can't understand why this only seems to happen on Quest.

I had a recording scheduled at 11am by way of a test this morning. Checked the box at 11:45 and it wasn't recording, the schedule info was still showing as Record Pending ... Jumped back to live TV and changed channel to Quest, and almost immediately, the banner at the top of the page popped up saying Now Recording..... The programme following also started OK as I was still watching Quest live. The previous recording had only recorded from the moment I switched to that channel. Also, if the recording has started ok because you were on the channel, if you switch to another channel, the recording will just keep going and won't finish at the scheduled time. It's almost as though the EPG isn't being updated correctly, but just for that channel only. Very odd.

This issue is consistent and repeatable with trying to schedule record on Quest ... Recording will only work correctly if the box is on and remains on that channel.

We are in a slight,y challenging reception area, where we are taking PSB muxes for our correct West TV region from a Freeview Lite transmitter, but the commercial muxes off an out of region (Wales) main transmitter. All signal strengths and qualities are excellent (qual on all channels showing 100%) so it's not a signal issue.

Just wonder if anyone else has this issue or can possibly run a couple of tests. It's almost as if there is something that Quest is transmitting, or a bug in their EPG data that the box doesn't like when switching tuners across to record or finish recording.

Very puzzling..... And more than a little annoying.

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 13:35:54 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Two questions:

1. Do you have channels in the 800 range?
    2. Can you get BBCi using the red buttons?

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 13:53:42 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

Your problem is down to the fact you are tuned to 2 transmitters, there is no solution unless you accept the Wales region for all your channels.

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 13:59:35 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rotty

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    Welcome to the Forum
    Your problem is down to the fact you are tuned to 2 transmitters, there is no solution unless you accept the Wales region for all your channels.

Thanks for the welcome.

However, your explanation just doesn't make any sense as only the PSB multiplexes ident as being regional. The Com muxes will just exist ... Well, on every other bit of Freeview kit including the dreadful TUTV boxes they do. And if that was the case, then ANY Com mux channels not being transmitted off the West region Lite Tx would exhibit the same behaviour and be unrecordable. Also, when I selected 'West' as my region, if the other channels were 'unavailable' as being outside of my region, then I should have ensured that they weren't placed in the standard section of the EPG, but up in the 800's, like the Welsh PSB channels are......

It's now been logged with YouView and escalated from what the very nice young lady has told me. Was pretty impressed with the support line, even if they couldn't provide an answer.

Are you speaking as someone that has been part of the development stream for the firmware and knows how the box is programmed to behave, or is that just an assumption?

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 15:34:37 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I speak from many years of experience dealing with freeview issues, and understanding a little of how it works.

It ia allied to the SI data, as you have found by experimenting, if you are tuned to the Com multiplexes then your Quest recordings are successful, but not if tuned to PSB, this is because your unit is not receiving the expected SI data from the region you set the timers to.

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 15:43:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rotty

So any scheduled recording from a com mux will fail then? Particularly if on the same mux?

But they don't ... It only appears to be Quest scheduled recordings that fail (that I've found at the moment) . Happily recorded stuff from other muxes whilst the box was tuned to BBC, or in Standby.... And as far as I can tell from the behaviour of the YouView box on the network by monitoring traffic on that port, the EPG appears to be downloaded off the net when it has a connection. But perhaps it's doing other stuff like reporting viewing trends somewhere?

Regarding being unable to record from an 'other area tx', every other bit of Freeview PVR kit, including my Sony Bravia TV with HDD plugged in is able to do this in our setup, including the Topup TV box, which has pretty dire firmware (and I should know, having been a long-time tester for their firmware ), so I'd be pretty surprised if the YouView box couldn't do it. Or would I? I am beginning to wonder.

If YouView is supposed to be idiot-proof and 'for the masses' who don't have much technical inklings (supposedly the excuse for no manual tuning option) then it isn't doing a very good job, as whilst the setup in our location may not be the norm for most of the UK, thee are many towns and villages on the Bristol channel coast, both on the English side and the Welsh side that can only receive Com channels from the out-of-area main tx but want their correct regional program's from their tiny, local, Lite relays. Must be several thousand doing this in our village alone.... And many of us just can't get Satellite coverage due to topography.

| Fri 24 Aug 2012 16:14:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Rotty - 3 days ago  » 
    However, your explanation just doesn't make any sense as only the PSB multiplexes ident as being regional. The Com muxes will just exist?

The last time I looked the Com muxes service ids were regional.

Rotty - 3 days ago  » 
    Well, on every other bit of Freeview kit including the dreadful TUTV boxes they do. And if that was the case, then ANY Com mux channels not being transmitted off the West region Lite Tx would exhibit the same behaviour and be unrecordable. Also, when I selected 'West' as my region, if the other channels were 'unavailable' as being outside of my region, then I should have ensured that they weren't placed in the standard section of the EPG, but up in the 800's, like the Welsh PSB channels are......

It is very strange that you cannot duplicate this on other channels from the same mux as Quest. On freeview Humax and Topfield boxes a similar fault situation can occur but it affects a whole mux and is dependent on which mux was last being watched or recorded.

When you attempted to record a channel from the same mux as Quest (e.g. 10 ITV3, 27 ITV2+1, 30 5*, 31 5USA, 44 Channel5+1, 72 CITV) did you have the unit tuned to a channel on the PSB mux (e.g. any BBC channel) during the lead up and start of the programme?

| Mon 27 Aug 2012 16:58:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

uviewer

Hi

I have had my Youview box for about a month and am getting many failed recordings:

Eastenders Tomorrow BBC ONE FAILED
    Eastenders Today BBC ONE FAILED
    Eastenders Today BBC ONE WATCHED
    Forgetting Sarah M'ShallTue, 2 Oct ITV2 FAILED
    Eastenders Tue, 2 Oct BBC ONE FAILED
    Eastenders Tue, 2 Oct BBC ONE Part watched
    Eastenders Mon, 1 Oct BBC ONE Part watched
    Eastenders Mon, 1 Oct BBC ONE FAILED
    The Brave One SUN, 30 Sep Channel4 Failed
    Downton Abbey SUN, 30 Sep ITV1 NOT WATCHED
    Downton Abbey SUN, 30 Sep ITV1 FAILED
    Red Dwarf SUN, 30 Sep Dave FAILED

I don't think it makes sense, for example how can it fail to record something in the future?

Reviewing the FAQ:

There could be a number of reasons for this:

1) Your YouView box might have been turned off completely when the programme was supposed to record. It will record in stand-by mode, but will not if turned off completely.

THE BOX WAS EITHER ON STANDBY (ORANGE) OR FULLY ON (BLUE) DURING ALL THE RECORDING ATTEMPTS.

2) Restarting your YouView box during a recording window, will cause the recordings to fail, as would a power failure.

WE HAVE HAD NO POWER FAILURES AND HAVE NOT RESTARTED THE BOX.

3) Your digital signal may have disappeared, or become too weak while the programme was on, check the aerial connection from the wall to your YouView box.

DOUBTFUL, THE SIGNAL APPEARS STRONG AND WE HAVE 114 CHANNELS. HD WORKS FINE.

4) The broadcaster might have altered the programme schedule.

UNLIKELY CONSIDERING THE VOLUME OF FAILURES. 75% +

5) You might have re-tuned your YouView box while the programme was trying to record.

WE DIDN'T.

6) The hard drive in your YouView box could have run out of space. Check the device Management Setting to ensure Auto delete recordings is set to ON. To do this, go to Settings > Device Management > Auto-delete Recordings. You can also manually delete recordings in MyView > Recordings. Just select the recording and press DEL button on your remote control.

98% FREE SPACE

I'm using ECO-Mode HIGH.

I have two TV Regions to choose from when I re-tune:

England, North West (my choice)
    Isle of Man

Am I affected by the same issue, and if so would you expect me to stop getting failures if I select Isle of Man, if so, why?

Thanks

| Thu 4 Oct 2012 21:23:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

uviewer

Also, is there any way of doing more advanced diagnostics on a Youview box?

| Thu 4 Oct 2012 21:49:59 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

uviewer

Have changed ECO Mode to Low and got another failure today...

| Fri 5 Oct 2012 21:55:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.