My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Which one is the true signal and quality result?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

deehcee

Re Humax Foxsat. On the Diagnostic page I get Signal 80/90%, and Quality about the same. When I look at The Freesat Tune page I get Signal 85%, and Quality 65%. When I look at the "Info" on a tuned page I get 100% for both Signal and Quality on most channels. Can you tell me why there are three different results, and which is the correct one. Reason I want to know is that pic quality on some SD channels has become poor, and I want to know if my Dish needs realigning, if the quality is now only 65%.
    First posting so sorry if this has already been covered.
    Tks David

| Thu 8 Dec 2011 22:05:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The freesat tune page gives you the signal quality from the Freesat home transponder on Eurobird 1 (same as channel 999), The info gives you the same information from the transponder as the current channel you are viewing. Menu/System/diagnostics does the same for the same transponder you are using. The figures will vary depending which satellite you are currently viewing from and the individual transponder (and also with current weather conditions)

If you want to check them all, download this .htm page and open in your browswer.

http://humaxgoodies.weebly.com/freesat-channels-by-transponder.html

Columns 1 - 4 show which transponders carry the Freesat channels (Col 4 shows which satellite transmits the transponder)

Tune to 1 channel from each coloured group and check the signal strength and quality for each. You are looking for a pattern, for example problems with say EB1 and a specific polarisation. Look at col 5 xxH indicates horizontal polarisation, and xxV vertical polarisation. If a pattern is apparent we can indicate a likely alignment problem with your dish.

Welcome to the forum

| Thu 8 Dec 2011 23:20:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

deehcee

Graham,
    Hi and thanks so much for quick answer and your welcome. I now understand how to interpret the various informations.
    I have checked the signal and quality of the various categories as you suggested and I find the weakest sections (85% signal and 50%quality)are EB1 in both the vertical and Horizontal polorisations. My strongest are 2AS H, 2D H, 2D V and 1N V, all good at 100% &100%.
    Does this suggest to you that dish /LNB needs checking, or are EB transmissions weaker ?
    Tks for your time
    David

| Wed 14 Dec 2011 17:51:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

EB1 is a bit weaker than the 28.2E Astra satellites. It could be that the dish alignment needs tweaking. EB1 is 0.3 degrees further East than Astra 2 and also has a different lnb skew. If you don't get signal loss in bad weather from the EB1 channels or problems with the Freesat home transponder (the value you get from 999) then don't worry about it too much. If you do then a very very minor tweak may help.

| Wed 14 Dec 2011 18:02:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

deehcee

Cheers !
    David

| Fri 16 Dec 2011 20:47:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bergspyder

Can anyone help, pls?
    I'm in Granada region in Spain (so 1.55m dish etc) and had no reception probs with an old Pace2600 until 1 day, nothing. Tried another Sky box, also nothing. Suspected prevailing climatic conditions or (highly unlikely) dish moved. Next, I plugged in a Humax Foxsat-HD and get (about) 85% strength/65% quality on most channels. But nothing at all (i.e. 0%-0%, zilch) on BBC3, BBC4, More4+1 & a couple of other channels (that I don't watch).
    From Graham's link above, I see e.g. BBC3 has identical characterictics to e.g. BBC1, which gives perfect picture.
    What am I not doing/doing wrong or is it dish orientation (which here literally does mean 1mm or so) or maybe LNB skew?
    Thanks for any help

| Sat 15 Sep 2012 21:34:11 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Look here : Lyngsat for each channel and compile a list of channel, Frequency and V or H.

Channels are divided into four groups V and H and Low and High frequency the STB sends signals to the LNB to switch. Your post above did not mention which BBC1 region your are using.

A guess - your LNB needs replacing.

| Sun 16 Sep 2012 8:52:08 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Current freesat list sorted by frequency band and transponder

http://humaxgoodies.weebly.com/freesat-channels-by-transponder.html

Download and open with a browser.

This is kept up to date from the Freesat change thread

| Sun 16 Sep 2012 9:18:17 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Nice link Graham - Did not know you has a sorted version.

| Sun 16 Sep 2012 9:24:04 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Nice link Graham - Did not know you has a sorted version.

Also In Excel format

http://humaxgoodies.weebly.com/

Hosted in other places - see

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Sun 16 Sep 2012 9:36:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.