My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Wifi password problems

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi LokiUK,
    I'm glad to see you got the dongle working securely in another piece of equipment. With it working elsewhere you may want to see if there are any firmware updates for the router and/or dongle.

Years ago I tried to get a network card to work, tried everything, drivers, different machines etc. pulled my hair out for a few hours, nothing would get it to work and it made no sense. Left it disconnected overnight, went back to it the next day and it worked first time, I hadn't done anything different to the previous day. The card was just retaining a messed up configuration even between machine swaps and it just took longer than I expected for the circuits to discharge. Sometimes these things happen.

My advice, remove the dongle, delete all of the network settings in the Humax, switch it off at the back, plug the dongle back in, switch the Humax back on again and power it up, wait a few minutes and try again with the network configuration.

If this doesn't work and you have to have wireless then I guess the only option is what you previously mentioned which would be the powerline/homeplug system.

good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

| Fri 24 Feb 2012 10:48:10 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sooty83

Plugged it back into the Humax - disaster! The Hummy now no longer even recognises that it's plugged in. So two steps back.
    Humax Support have said they don't plan on investigating this any time soon, essentially.

Exactly the same thing happened to me recently. I can tell you that the Mac driver is defective and has corrupted the data stored in the dongle's EEPROM. Instead of advertising itself as a wireless dongle, the dongle now appears as a still camera to the Hummy. You can confirm this for yourself if you plug the dongle into a linux box and run the 'lsusb -v' command. You will find that the dongle now has a bDeviceClass of 6 which is the device class for a still camera.

It can be fixed but I am afraid it is far from simple. If you are technically minded or has access to someone who is, the bottom line is that you need to download the RT3070 linux driver source from ralinktech.com (the version from the edimax website is too old and will not compile) and compile the driver against your linux kernel. After installing and loading the driver, execute the command:
    iwpriv ra0 e2p 204=0000

Verify that the new value has been written using
    iwpriv ra0 e2p 204

Once the device class is reset, the Humax will recognise the dongle again.

PM me if you want a more detailed description of the process.

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 17:16:01 #22 |
  3. LokiUK

LokiUK

Hi there,

Thanks to the posters above - I've only just read this unfortunately. In the end, I bought some Powerline plugs, and they work tremendously.

In this case, I think the attempt to save money by not buying either the official dongle was a misguided one. The Edimax EW-&&11UsN dongle is now corrupted, and will probably end up in the bin. Incidentally, installing its Mac driver software did some BAD things to my Mac which I'm still trying to remove, so I would absolutely not install that software. I'm a fairly tech savvy chap but that Edimax was a nightmare. There's nothing wrong with the Billion router, incidentally, that's an awesome piece of kit.

My advice to anyone finding this thread via searches, as I did - buy Powerline plugs, or if you really want wifi shell out the extra money for the official dongle.

| Wed 2 May 2012 19:23:10 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

aec6612

Hi,
    I am a Newbee and so maybe not in the right place so please point me in the appropriate direction if you can. Thanks.

My problem is that I have a FoxT2 Freeview+ with the latest software.

I use a virginmedia hub and all lap tops tvs etc can see the network.

On forum advice, I purchased an Edimax EW-7711UAN 150Mbps Wireless 802.11n High Gain 3dBi USB Adapter. In a sense, it works fine as the wifi setting is not now greyed out. However, no networks show up when it is connected and even when entered manually, the humax will still not connect.

Please advise. Thanks

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 10:53:46 #24 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.