My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Youtube no longer supported

(22 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Some very unhappy users here

http://youtube-eng.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/committing-to-youtube-data-api-v3_4.html

Thanks to JamesB and following the hyperlinks from the page he linked to. Pre 2012 kit seems to be the main issue.

| Fri 24 Apr 2015 18:05:52 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Some very unhappy users here
    http://youtube-eng.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/committing-to-youtube-data-api-v3_4.html
    Thanks to JamesB and following the hyperlinks from the page he linked to. Pre 2012 kit seems to be the main issue.

The HDR2000T isn't pre-2012 is it?

But was the Fox-T2 Youtube app used again for the 2000T? That would make sense, and would mean both apps were v2, hence yanked. The YouTube app on my Samsung Smart TV (2012) is still working, so presumably the version that was on it when I bought it was at some point replaced with a v3 app.

Youtube is also still working on my HB-1000S (2013). So is presumably v3. But then again, Youtube is still working on my iPad - which has not been updated to iOS 7. So who knows.

| Fri 24 Apr 2015 19:19:34 #12 |
  3. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Versions based on the V3 api can play the Vevo stuff: the videos that slip in adverts first. The HDR-FOX and the HDR-2000T (I think: I don't have one myself) can't. YouTube is still working on the HDR-FOX but that is likely to end soon. Humax will need to update the app to keep the service available. Hardware permitting they might do this for the HDR-2000T, as it is a current model. If we are lucky and an updated app is released this might be extended to the HDR-FOX. We'll have to wait and see.

| Sat 25 Apr 2015 2:50:44 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 5 hours ago  » 
    Versions based on the V3 api can play the Vevo stuff: the videos that slip in adverts first. The HDR-FOX and the HDR-2000T (I think: I don't have one myself) can't. YouTube is still working on the HDR-FOX but that is likely to end soon. Humax will need to update the app to keep the service available. Hardware permitting they might do this for the HDR-2000T, as it is a current model. If we are lucky and an updated app is released this might be extended to the HDR-FOX. We'll have to wait and see.

I question whether updating decisions would depend simply on Humax. The app on the Freetime boxes was done by YouTube, and released with a moderate bit of fanfare (https://recombu.com/digital/article/youtube-goes-live-on-free-time-from-freesat-video_M11271.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=).

If It's down to YouTube to decide whether or not to develop a new app for the HDR-2000T, it may not happen. They don't seem to have had any compunction about tossing pre-2013 Sony overboard. Have to wait and see, I guess.

| Sat 25 Apr 2015 8:58:24 #14 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The link here that warns of the withdrawal of YouTube on older devices contains a link to their 'device partners' here. Humax aren't listed. I don't know if this is significant or not. We will have to wait for a response from Humax to know what is going on.

| Sat 25 Apr 2015 10:14:41 #15 |
  6. Doghouse

Doghouse

I used the YouTube app on my Humax HDR 2000T today and the message about closing had disappeared.
    Also the "search" keyboard seems to have changed and all my "keywords" had gone too.

I can only assume that the "changes" have been effected and that this PVR will still be able to access YouTube.

No response from the two e-mails I sent Humax, which is unusual.

| Fri 1 May 2015 0:16:30 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Working this morning on my HDR FOX T2 as well.

| Fri 1 May 2015 9:39:46 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Still working on my iPad3 running iOS 6. As I understand it, this version of YouTube is baked into the OS and is definitely no longer supported. I conclude that the reason it appears to be still functioning might be because none of the videos I happen to have selected has issued API v.2 calls.

| Fri 1 May 2015 10:04:04 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

JamesB - 5 days ago  » 
    Still working on my iPad3 running iOS 6. As I understand it, this version of YouTube is baked into the OS and is definitely no longer supported. I conclude that the reason it appears to be still functioning might be because none of the videos I happen to have selected has issued API v.2 calls.

I have an iPad3. iOS 5 was the last version with the baked in YouTube, which is one of the reasons I delayed upgrading to iOS 6 for many months. iOS 6 uses a separate google supplied YouTube app downloaded from the app store.

My own experience of trying half a dozen videos on YouTube on my HDR Fox T2 is that it never successfully played any of them. This was several years ago, and after that I gave up trying.

| Thu 7 May 2015 0:14:00 #19 |
  10. Doghouse

Doghouse

I find on my 2000T that it won't play some YouTube videos, it allows you to select them, but you just get the buffering logo on the little screen. I don't know if they will eventually load, as I can't be bothered to wait more than a minute, as there's plenty of other videos it will play.

| Thu 7 May 2015 0:18:53 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.