My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Youview: 400,000 units in 8 months

(5 posts)
  1. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Mainly via BT and Talktalk, but is this good?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/30/youview-tv-service-bt-talktalk

| Thu 30 May 2013 11:47:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I think it's good, however we don't know the trend, I'd hope it's ramping up and only the companies involved would know the actual figures.
    I've only noticed TalkTalk putting the pressure on, not really noticed BT, however their move into sport will no doubt help.

In the past I've felt a bit sick when I see struggling families trying to do their best and thinking having sky at £60 a month is what they should be doing for their family, the direct debits hiding the £720 a year bill. I take comfort that the likes of Peppa Pig seem to be the most popular on-demand.

A solid start, let's hope BT and TT keep the pressure up, now all they need to do is open the system up, imho the hdr-foxt2 is still a better buy with CF

| Thu 30 May 2013 13:57:25 #2 |
  3. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Struggling families shouldn't have Sky. Freetime is an alternative on satellite and Youview on terrestrial, if you want free TV with catch-up/OD content.

However, it looks like one box will rule them all (at least on terrestrial) - the Xbox One or the PS4. Although in this article the head of YV doesn't think it is a competitor: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/youview-we-don-t-see-ps4-and-xbox-one-as-an-immediate-threat-1155348

| Thu 30 May 2013 16:39:08 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

You mean the new Xbox that is the only box you need under the telly apart from the old Xbox needed to play the games you have already?

| Thu 30 May 2013 17:34:19 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I don't think the Xbox One or PS4 will rule.

Sony proved that they couldn't do freeview with the ps3, they locked down the box stopped linux yellow dog etc. and started to charge for an update for their usb freeview adapter.
    Imagine if Humax started to charge for firmware updates.

Micky$oft aren't much different, both will lock down their boxes just as Youview has. They keep the boxes locked down in the vain hope of squeezing more money from users.
    My ps3 is rarely switched on, it just eats electricity, and if I want to watch any OD content other than i-player I'll use my raspberry pi which runs off a usb port and does as it's told.

I don't think we've seen an all purpose box yet, I'm definitely in no hurry to get a Humax or Huawei YouView box because it's locked down and doesn't better any of my equipment here. I'd buy another hdr-foxt2 first. I wish them well though, I'd be happy with a YouView box in every household or with the technology/software licenced it could easily be built into TV's, it's never going to happen though with the narrow minded short sighted maximum profit focus the big companies have.

| Thu 30 May 2013 18:04:24 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.