My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

YouView's lack of wifi - comment from OFCOM

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

From OFCOM's Infrastructure Report p.120
    (http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/infrastructure/2014/infrastructure-14.pdf)

6.39 Another element of broadband infrastructure for TV is in-home networks, especially Wi-Fi. The growth of broadband TV is also likely to place increased demand on these in-home networks. For example, Wi-Fi routers may need to be upgraded to support broadband TV services where a lack of a reliable Wi-Fi connection could cause the video to glitch or stop. This is less likely to be an issue for catch-up on-demand content, which can use buffering in the receiver. But for linear services, the lack of reliable Wi-Fi can give an inferior experience.
    6.40 On this point it is notable that YouViewset-top boxes do not incorporate Wi-Fi as standard and instead use wired Ethernet or Powerline connections. However, not all households may want to use wired connections between their TVs and their broadband routers, in which case in-home Wi-Fi performance may become an increasingly important factor in the future growth of broadband TV services.

Might nudge YouView to reconsider their anti-wifi stance. Obviously (IMO) it would be better to provide the wifi option while making clear to the user the standard of home wifi required.

| Wed 10 Dec 2014 12:44:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I would go for Homeplugs every time when it comes to video streaming. I have tried Wifi and although I found it to work, it could never match the reliability or speed of a Homeplug connection - even with a brand new Apple TC router.

| Wed 10 Dec 2014 22:37:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

WiFi streaming seems to work very well here. And I'm only on ADSL2+. I was glad to ditch the Homeplugs when my last YouView box died.

| Thu 11 Dec 2014 11:09:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 4 days ago  » 
    WiFi streaming seems to work very well here. And I'm only on ADSL2+. I was glad to ditch the Homeplugs when my last YouView box died.

Given WiFi is very unlikely to be as reliable as Homeplugs why on earth would you be glad to ditch something better for something worse?

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 22:52:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Did you notice the bit where I said wifi works well here?

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 23:09:42 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 23 hours ago  » 
    Did you notice the bit where I said wifi works well here?

I certainly did. Did you notice where I said that it's not as reliable as Homeplugs?

WiFi works brilliantly in my home too. However, for streaming video, especially HD content you will get a more reliable solution with a wired connection. Simple test - try fast forwarding something you are streaming from your NAS over Wifi - stutter and freezing tends to occur. Not so with a wired connection.

| Tue 16 Dec 2014 23:06:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You're happy with your Homeplugs, and I'm happy with my wifi. Contentment reigns.

| Tue 16 Dec 2014 23:11:00 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.