My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

1TB HDD upgrade. Seagate Skyhawk requires SeaChest

(1 post)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dean123

Hi Folks,

My first post on forum and thank you to all for the invaluable advice I'd had from reading this forum since I bought my first Foxsat-HDR back in 2009. I now have two of these and 2 FoxHDR-T2's and have upgraded 3 of them with larger HDD's.

One of the Foxsat-HDR boxes was upgraded with a 1TB HDD - a Samsung HD103UJ - back in 2018. Although not ideal as it's not a AV rated drive, it was a spare drive from an old computer and lasted well until Christmas Eve when the box refused to boot. What a time to go! It displayed an error message something like "HDD is not formatted. Formatting will start". As I wanted to keep the old recordings I powered off and did not format the disk.

So, after reading the forums, it was 50/50 whether to go for the latest Seagate Skyhawk model (ST1000VX013) or the latest WD Purple model (WD11PURZ).

In the end I bought the ST1000VX013 from ebuyer for £46 and it arrived the next day.

Installed new HDD in Foxsat box and powered on. Box said something like "HDD not recognised".

After reading forum comments I downloaded SeaChest tools from the SeaGate website and used the

--phySpeed 2

option to reduce the maximum speed from 6 Gbps to 3 Gbps. This was done using an Inateck USB3 to SATA docking station. It was questionable whether this would work in a docking station but it did work, although when I read the parameters back using the SeaChest "-i -d" it incorrectly showed 6 Gbps (and cache size 256MB, instead of 64MB according to HDD data sheet). I think this is a limitation of using a USB3 to SATA device rather than just connecting directly to SATA, which is what I ended up doing later to run GParted.

I then installed the new HDD into the Foxsat and it was now recognised and allowed me to format it (""HDD is not formatted. Formatting will start"). I needed to reboot twice before the correct capacity was shown on the Foxsat - after the first boot it said 0GB used and 0GB free rather than 900GB-plus free.

I eventually managed to copy the existing recordings from the Samsung HD103UJ using a Gparted live CD on a spare computer, but not using the usual method of copying a partition. I tried this and before it starts copying it does a fsck to check for file system errors. There were so many errors that after several hours I abandoned this and instead mounted the /dev/sda3 partition into /home/sda3 and on the new ST1000VX013 drive mounted /dev/sdb3 into /home/sdb3 etc and did a recursive file copy using cp with -a switch (archive) to preserve all file attributes (timestamps, permissions etc). It did take a long time - left it on overnight - but in the end all files copied with no errors.

Installed new HDD in Foxsat and everything working ok. All previous recordings play ok.

With hindsight I might have gone for the WD11PURZ disk and just used a jumper to restrict speed to 3 Gbps.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

| Sun 31 Dec 2023 19:17:02 #1 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.