My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T and DLNA - does it work?

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

BruceEmsworth
    Faust - the actual model I currently have is a "DTR-T2000". Now having read the manual, asked Humax and scanned it's open ports I am sure it doesn't have DLNA server capability - that's the main reason I am replacing it. I think the "2000T" is a different (older?) box?

Ah! you should have said it was a 'Youview' PVR which would have cleared up the confusion. I have a DTR-2100 and it has no DLNA capabilities whatsoever. It is though a good PVR.

| Thu 20 Dec 2018 11:08:38 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

BruceEmsworth

Well I went and bought one and got it set up.
    BRILLIANT
    Seems to be doing everything I wanted. Managed to get a RPi to connect from VLC.

Still a bunch of stuff I need to learn - how to view my "Favourite Channels", how to access my NAS, etc etc

Thanks for all your help
    Regards
    Bruce

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 16:09:16 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BruceEmsworth - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well I went and bought one and got it set up.
    BRILLIANT
    Seems to be doing everything I wanted. Managed to get a RPi to connect from VLC.
    Still a bunch of stuff I need to learn - how to view my "Favourite Channels", how to access my NAS, etc etc
    Thanks for all your help
    Regards
    Bruce

Once you have addded and saved a favorites group when you press guide press + You should find your favorites in Change group.

Locate your NAS server.

Freeview Play Button. Media. Select Video Photo or Music.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 17:34:59 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

BruceEmsworth

Making progress!
    Got VLC working on RPi3B+ and on my W10 PC.
    Also got OSMC to find and play media

SO big progress!

Maybe try a RPiZero next....

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 17:48:11 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

BruceEmsworth

OK so it seems that the RPiZeroW (that's the wireless LAN version) just doesn't have enough network or processing capability. It runs the GUI and VLC and at 720p it runs, but is a bit pixellated. And at 1080p it barely runs!

Oh well, it was worth a try.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 18:29:11 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

BruceEmsworth

Thanks Graham, found my NAS - works a treat.
    And also found how to get my favourite channels list with the '+'.
    Bruce

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 19:55:31 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

RobK

Your Raspberry Pi Zero problem is probably down to the processor rather than the network. You are stepping down from the Pi3B+ 1.4GHZ Quad core to the Pi Zero 1GHZ single core. The Pi3B+ will have enough processing power to software decode the media stream in real time, but the Pi Zero will not. One way around this would be to try the hardware MPEG-2 decoder on the Pi Zero, you would have to buy the licence from the Pi Foundation but it only costs £2.40. This made all the difference when I had a similar setup with a Humax HDR Fox-T2 and the original Pi model B a few years ago and the specs on that are lower than the Pi Zero.

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 20:11:07 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BruceEmsworth

Hi Graham, I have a decoder on my RPi3 / OSMC machine.
    It's file name is "dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw" is this the correct one? Looking at the RPi web site, they only offer the MPEG2 and VC-1 keys so I guess it is. They only cost £2.40 and £1.20 !!! At that price we can't lose!

Thinking about it, I guess that will greatly help the compute power issue, but will still leave a network issue on the RPiZero.

Thinking more as I type, my RPi3 that has OSMC on it already has the key, so maybe I'll build a new SD card for it with Raspian / Stretch and put the decoder license on the new card - since the license is tied to the hardware, it should work.... But hey for £2.40, who cares!

Maybe I'll get a license for the RPiZero as an experiment on the basis it is worth a try.

Hmmm, it's probably worth sticking to RPi3 as that gives me the option to use a wired LAN....

This is starting to feel like a benchmarking exercise!

| Sat 22 Dec 2018 21:08:25 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.