My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9300T problem solvable with new HHD?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MerlinMags

Only 2 years old, my PVR9300T has died. Just whirrs endlessly when trying to boot, then loops and does it all over again. If I disconnect the SATA lead to the hard disk drive then it can work fine as a plain 'digibox' with no facility to record. So that means the HDD is the problem?

I bought a SATA-to-USB cable off Amazon for £7, and was able to get my laptop to format the HDD, and thus the Humax then did its own format...and for a day or two it looked like everything was fixed. I recorded and watched a few programmes.

Then it went screwy again, and another format helped briefly, but it didn't last 24 hours. So I guess I should assume the HDD is broken in some way, and a replacement is needed. Unless of course the problem is actually in the bit of the circuit board which sends commands/receives information from the SATA cable....

Before I spend money on a new HDD (ebay has used ones for £7, new for £22) I thought I would ask the experts on this forum. I would be very grateful to anyone that takes time to answer, thank you.

I could argue with the seller (Humax Direct) that the Sale of Goods Act means I can expect a free replacement any time in the first four years, but I expect that path to be full of woe and a two month wait.

HDD is a Seagate Pipline HD2 3.5" 500Gb and appeared OK when connected to laptop.
    No burn marks or swollen capacitors visible on the PCB.
    I've tried a factory reset with aerial unplugged, and I've tried the 'Software Update' option on the menu (both with HDD disconnected).
    Loader version is a4.40 seen when booting, and gets to 99% I think, before the long pause and fruitless whirring begins.

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 15:10:36 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MerlinMags - 41 minutes ago  » 
    If I disconnect the SATA lead to the hard disk drive then it can work fine as a plain 'digibox' with no facility to record. So that means the HDD is the problem?

That is certainly the most likely explanation. To confirm it you need to look at the SMART data for the hard drive. There are several possible tools to use eg Link to article on SMART If you can post the statistics here then we can give a more confident opinion.

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 15:56:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MerlinMags

CrystalDiskInfo told me there were a few issues, though my laptop's own HDD was not perfect either. I ran these tests after formatting the drive to work on Windows, and copying a load of photos over as a test to see if they were accessible the next day.

Attachments

1. crystalhumax2.png (121.8 KB, 12 downloads) 7 years old
    2. crystalhumax1.png (98.8 KB, 17 downloads) 7 years old
    | Sat 14 Jan 2017 23:25:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MerlinMags - 17 minutes ago  » 
    CrystalDiskInfo told me there were a few issues, though my laptop's own HDD was not perfect either.

If I am interpreting the figures correctly there are about 800 reallocated sectors which is quite high but not completely broken. You might try Seagate Seatools on it to see if it can fix the "Reported Uncorrectable Errors". I think a new hard drive would fix the immediate problem but given the known issues with the 9300T I am loath to advise spending much money on it. If feasible it might be time to consider a more modern PVR>

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 23:51:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MerlinMags

Thank you for taking the time to look at those numbers (meaningless to me!). Your assistance has been great.

I ran the "long generic" test that Seatools advised, and it declared success in repairing matters...although a later "quick test" gave a failure.

I've popped the disk back into the Humax for a day, just in case. If it dies again then I'm going to spend as little as possible on a secondhand HDD on ebay. I think it is worth a punt.

Buying a new PVR is unlikely, as we've owned three now, all of which died in the first two years, and my wife just declares it all a waste of money. I cannot convince her that we will find a manufacturer of reliable devices!

| Mon 16 Jan 2017 13:46:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MerlinMags

Things started well... I recorded 20 programmes at random over 3 days, and the machine seemed normal, except for booting up very slowly.

Suddenly, BBC1 and BBC2 said "Poor signal" and showed a black screen. I tried re-tuning, but no luck. I tried unplugging the HDD, and BBC channels were suddenly perfect. Plug the HDD back in, and.....a few hours later we hear it whirring on an endless reboot cycle.

Time to buy a new drive I guess.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 15:02:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MerlinMags

I spent £12 on a secondhand drive on ebay. I checked the label in the photo matched my existing drive's label. It felt a bit risky, but this chap said it came with a 3 month guarantee.

Well, the PVR has been working great! Apart from one day where it randomly switched itself off in the middle of viewing something, it has worked perfectly.

Thank you again Martin. Fingers crossed for another 2 years of service...

| Fri 10 Feb 2017 14:48:41 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.