My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Another HDR1000S with a "missing" disk

(49 posts)
  1. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Hi. About 3 weeks ago I wanted to watch a recorded programme. I'd had no problems with my 2 year + machine other than with some of the software glitches over that time.
    When I selected recordings from the remote got the "you have no recordings" message. Tried the system reset & it made no difference. In fact it was a slight deterioration. The graphics in the station ID of the programme guide went (just text), the On Demand display showed no graphics for each program just the legend "image" & when in standby no clock display shows.
    All TV stations are still being received OK. Just can't record any.
    I also downloaded and applied the current software from the Humax site & applied that. Absolutely no difference (not surprising as it was the same version I had installed but I thought going through the process might trigger something).
    Now although the s/w reapplication was done via a usb stick, when I tried plugging in a 300Gb USB hard disk (formatted as exFAT) which I know works both on a Linux notebook & a Windows PC (with the same cable) there was not a flicker from the Humax. According to the display headed storage I should be able to connect a HDD & store recordings.
    I have disconnected both the TV, Humax & Homeplug from the electrical supply for a week (I was away for that time) just in case it had any effect.
    The fact that all this was so sudden & that the device did not see the external HDD, makes me opt for the probability that the disk/usb interface has failed.
    Luckily, when I bought the unit from Richer Sounds, I did something I have never done before - bought an extended warranty so I may finish up invoking that - unless someone can suggest something else.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 21:34:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The freetime boxes do not support ExFat. Native support is NTFS or FAT32.

Try a ntfs device. If you format a usb drive with the box it will be NTFS.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 22:02:14 #2 |
  3. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

I forgot to mention that I tried the disk when it had NTFS. I got a message from the Humax it was trying to format the disk when I connected it. I will try it again when I've reformatted to NTFS.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 0:11:10 #3 |
  4. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Hi grahamlthompson.

Reformatted in NTFS. Disk recognised by Humax even reporting model number & overall capacity. It didn't do this the first time I tried it in it's original NTFS format which is why I formatted exFAT (Win10 only does this & NTFS).
    I tried setting a recording by pressing record button on the remote - no luck not even any error message. So I took the option to format the drive. Brief bit of activity on the drive for all of around 3 seconds. Not even a quick format could be that quick.

When I had a look on the PC, apart from the recycle bin put there by Windows, the volume label was blank. It wasn't blank when I connected it to the Humax.

So I'm now somewhat perplexed. I still think it may be a controller problem as I know the external disk is capable of storing data but will the Humax recognises the drive, it doesn't do much with it.

Methinks after Easter I'll be contacting Richer to invoke my extended warranty.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 1:28:37 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The usb device cannot be recorded to.

It has the following functions.

Media playback of Video, Audio (MP3) and Photographs (jpeg). These can be uploaded to the internal hard disk to a seperate area of the hard disk than the recording partition.

Software updating.

If the box now recognises the internal hard disk I would try formatting this again.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 10:42:27 #5 |
  6. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Thanks grahamlthompson for your reply.

Don't understand. The attached photo from the storage page of the Humax, says you can record to a USB HDD & you can also play back your own media. The device is still not seeing the internal drive.

PS I tried this from my phone then noticed that the photo exceeded the capacity allowed by the site, I'll see about reducing the size later so you can see what the device is saying about the usb drive.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 15:05:14 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grumpybrush - 29 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks grahamlthompson for your reply.
    Don't understand. The attached photo from the storage page of the Humax, says you can record to a USB HDD & you can also play back your own media. The device is still not seeing the internal drive.

What photo. Only the HB1000s (which has no internal drive) can record to a external drive). The message you get on a HDR1000S when contact is lost with the built in hard disk is believed to be a fragment of code escaped from the HB1000S software :cry:.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 15:37:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

_James_

I'm having the same problem with my 500GB HDR-1000S.

Short version:
    Switched on my HDR-1000S a couple of nights ago and found that all my recordings had disappeared. Opened the Humax and copied the recordings to my laptop. Reconnected the hard drive to the Humax box but now the hard drive is not recognised. I'm unable to format it because it is no longer showing in the "Storage" section of the Settings menu.

I get the same message in the storage menu of "Connect a USB hard drive (HDD) to the box to be able to record programmes and pause live TV."

I have connected both a USB thumb drive and a USB portable HDD and they are both recognised correctly.

I've done some googling and found reports of the same or a similar problem but haven't seen any info on if it's repairable and if so, how to fix it.

Any advice on how to proceed?.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 20:56:45 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

_James_ - 55 minutes ago  » 
    I'm having the same problem with my 500GB HDR-1000S.
    Short version:
    Switched on my HDR-1000S a couple of nights ago and found that all my recordings had disappeared. Opened the Humax and copied the recordings to my laptop. Reconnected the hard drive to the Humax box but now the hard drive is not recognised. I'm unable to format it because it is no longer showing in the "Storage" section of the Settings menu.
    I get the same message in the storage menu of "Connect a USB hard drive (HDD) to the box to be able to record programmes and pause live TV."
    I have connected both a USB thumb drive and a USB portable HDD and they are both recognised correctly.
    I've done some googling and found reports of the same or a similar problem but haven't seen any info on if it's repairable and if so, how to fix it.
    Any advice on how to proceed?.

Humax are aware of the issue and seeking a solution. Some report an extended period without power magically restores full operation. Those who hve removed the disk and connected to a PC say the disk is OK, which would appear to rule out the sata hsard disk controller in the box.

How did you manage to copy the recordings, the recording partition on a freetime box is luks encrypted ? You can see it on a PC with Linux FS access but not access it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 21:54:38 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

_James_

I just connected the drive to my laptop using a sata to USB adaptor and then mounted the drive in Windows using the program Ext2Fsd. I then simply copied the files from the mounted drive.
    I can't actually watch any of the recordings on my laptop but I thought that I might have been able to copy them back after formatting the drive.

| Thu 24 Mar 2016 22:12:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.