My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

BBC Iplayer ends September 2016

(44 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mj11london - 1 hour ago  » 
    I tried to contact Humax to see if there was likely to be a software update to a Humax HDR - which I have been most satified with since I bought it some years ago and I like the simple operational and menus system compared with the new (refurbished) HDR1000S+Freetime one I bought while it was on offer - which is all pretty pages and pictures and hard to find waya wround.
    However the e-mail to support bounced back covered in Chinese characters and sending another via sales-info asking to be passed on has got no reply after 3 days!
    What hope is there I wonder?

None at all. If you don't have the custom firmware installed for the Foxsat-hdr, it can transform the capability of this box. What software version do have installed at the moment ?

Welcome to our forum.

| Fri 11 Mar 2016 14:51:44 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I've always felt too nervous to install custom firmware(what was it called?), and I have thought how to transfer recorded media when the time comes to change, dreading the prospect.

| Fri 11 Mar 2016 16:03:35 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I've always felt too nervous to install custom firmware(what was it called?), and I have thought how to transfer recorded media when the time comes to change, dreading the prospect.

Nothing to be nervous about. It does not change the inbuilt Humax software, it merely adds additional Linux software apps in the same way you add programmes/apps to other Operating Systems like windows. You have to access the box from a PC to use the extra capability, the User Interface you see on a TV is not altered at all.

| Fri 11 Mar 2016 16:10:19 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Have you got the download, and instructions links available? Please.

| Fri 11 Mar 2016 23:47:36 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

cerclebois - 10 hours ago  » 
    Have you got the download, and instructions links available? Please.

The first post on this thread explains all.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-5.1829374/

| Sat 12 Mar 2016 9:50:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mj11london

I finally got this reply from Humax support.
    Curses! Have to use the nasty new one - probably on a spare LNB output just to watch/record iPlayer:-

Thank you for contacting Humax.

I'm afraid there is no way to receive the BBC iPlayer on the Foxsat-HDR, in September the BBC are releasing a new version of iPlayer that is not compatible with the Foxsat, there is nothing we can do to make it compatible.

You will need to connect the HDR-1000s if you wish to continue using BBC iPlayer.

Best Regards,

JosephM
    Humax Customer Support

| Thu 17 Mar 2016 11:03:08 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmcmorran

This BBC iPlayer withdrawal amazes me. I only got my Humax box about 5 years ago and the BBC are rendering it partially obsolete. The BBC's only advice is "buy a new box". What they won't tell you is how long your new box will last before they arbitrarily switch one off too.

They state that iPlayer (V2) is closing "on some older TV devices", but some of the devices are only 2 years old! Are they really trying to send all our electronics into landfill?

Really worth lodging a complaint - they're only doing this in response to budget cuts.

| Tue 12 Apr 2016 12:36:27 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmcmorran

Oh well I don't know if anybody feels sufficiently miffed about this enforced obsolescence, but I hope if you do, you will consider raising a complaint with the BBC. I certainly plan to! If you feel so moved, here's where to do it:

BBC - complain online

| Thu 14 Apr 2016 22:02:42 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

rmcmorran - 2 days ago  » 
    This BBC iPlayer withdrawal amazes me. I only got my Humax box about 5 years ago and the BBC are rendering it partially obsolete. The BBC's only advice is "buy a new box". What they won't tell you is how long your new box will last before they arbitrarily switch one off too.
    They state that iPlayer (V2) is closing "on some older TV devices", but some of the devices are only 2 years old! Are they really trying to send all our electronics into landfill?
    Really worth lodging a complaint - they're only doing this in response to budget cuts.

In technology terms that 5 years is equivalent to when dinosaurs ruled the earth. Annoying it may be but it's the price we all have to pay for fast moving technological advancement. There as so many ways you can watch iPlayer these days it isn't really an issue for most people. I think I currently have seven different options.

| Fri 15 Apr 2016 9:52:14 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmcmorran

Well I object! I think we should protest against enforced short product life cycles. This just encourages people to junk equipment more rapidly, contributing to massive environmental problems. It confuses older consumers who aren't as skilled in operating multiple devices. It disadvantages people who are less well-off. And it frustrates the rest of us who make a reasonable effort to stay up to date.

This switchoff is not a technical issue - it's the BBC just cutting costs to cope with austerity. As a result, the BBC passes the problem on to licence-fee payers.

Sure, I can stream iPlayer from an iPhone onto my Apple TV but that's not the point - not everybody can do this. The BBC is not meant to shaft its viewers like this.

| Fri 15 Apr 2016 10:17:44 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.