My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

BT "in talks" to buy O2 or (maybe) EE

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The fourth leg of BT's quad play.

Gloom. Not long ago I was a gruntled O2 customer for both mobile and broadband. Sky ate O2 broadband from under my feet, now it looks all too possible that BT is going to buy back O2 mobile

Any recommendations? Three?

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 13:00:34 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Admin: tried to put this in "The Lounge" but must have done it wrong. Could it be moved please, thanks.

Admin Edit: As requested moved to lounge.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 13:03:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I have used talktalk for landline/broadband and Three monthly contract plan for mobile for the last 7 years. I have no problems recommending them. I've made both of them work very well for me over the years

They both used to be the cheapest by far and they still come in a fair bit cheaper in reality than friends bills; however over the years the base price for both has been pushed up. Both will tempt with 50% off for x amount of months (I hate this sort of marketing), but overall they still come out best imho.

As far as service goes, both companies used to have very bad reputations; I've not had any problems at all that I can remember with service or coverage, but people's expectations differ.

As you've mentioned Three specifically, you can call and be called to/from the UK when abroad in certain countries as part of your plan i.e included, most of the plans have addons, be very careful with data if you tether, some Three plans allow tethering others don't, 4G is included where available and is clearly faster.
    I have my minutes capped, i.e. I can't go over my alloted minutes in any month, I've also blocked 0845 and 09 etc. numbers. The EU have capped data roaming, at last, to around £42 a month for all providers. We still hear about nightmare bills though, t-mobile and vodafone spring to mind, I'm not aware of Three hitting the headlines with daft bills or unfair practices.

I've seen my bills probably double of the last 7 years, mainly standing charges or base price that have to be paid; however I still pay around 1/2 of what I see others paying and over the years I've managed to wangle quite a few benefits.

Every year or so I take a good look for myself and others and I've never come across anything else that makes more sense than TT and Three for me; however the choices are bewildering at times and the offers constantly changing.
    I live in a built up area and coverage from all providers has never been an issue, this can't be taken for granted though and all providers have weak/dead spots.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 6:42:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Thanks very much, damian, that's very helpful.

I also live in a built-up area well covered by all the main providers, so that's not a concern. Among the Main carriers I'm running out of choices, having previously been with Orange and Vodafone and been very exasperated with both. So that pretty much leaves Three. Very useful to hear your recommendation. Three it will be.

For broadband, I hemmed and hawed after Sky bought O2 but in the end I went to Plusnet, and am not dissatisfied with the choice. PN is wholly owned by BT, but still run separately so has separate Customer Services. I fully expect BT to ruin this, sooner or later. When that happens, I'll be on the move again and will then have a good look at TalkTalk.

Thanks again.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 11:01:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ernie

Someone else that jumped from O2 when sky appeared
    Pretty much the 1st thing I did when I heard was to start looking around. I too plumped for PN though this was after some humming and harring due to the BT connection. Cheaper landline, cheaper packages, cheaper fibre...no brainer once I'd read enough reviews to ensure me that BT did let them run themselves.

The thing I really liked about the O2 broadband was the service. In about 5-6 years I had a few problems and other than the one where the BT line had died, they were sorted almost immediately.
    Funnily over the years the monthly charge had crept up, as it does but when I asked for my MAC code the person offered me 1/2 price then "understood" when I said even if sky paid me I would have to consider it.

I'm in the process of switching my business broadband to PN so I get the benefit of a referral discount at home too. If BT do get involved I will probably be able to cancel the lot based on breach of contract.

RE mobiles I have one on orange/ee that I have had for probably close to 20 years PAYG and a work mobile on Vodaphone. Were I live and work are not what you would call countryside but I regularly lose signal on one or other if I move out of town too much. The bonus is where one doesn't work the other tends to, so my work mobile bounces to my personal if it can't be reached. If people can't get me on my personal and don't know my work number, it's not going to be important enough to worry about.
    My only issue with either is the work mobile (Vodaphone) is managed by a company (who are also my outgoing BB provider) and they really are a shower of .... but I, thankfully, don't have to deal with them too often and will bounce them in due course I'm sure.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 15:36:19 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I don't think BT are leaving PN to itself, exactly. I have little doubt PN's offers are drawn up by BT to suit BT's strategy. I'm sure they hang onto PN's "separate" identity because it thereby attracts customers who've been terminally alienated by BT proper. It's ok with me, as long as I don't have to deal with BT.

I agree with you about O2 services. I never had any trouble getting the occasional problem sorted. I'll be sorry to see them disappear. Imagine being told you're going to be working for BT.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 17:20:16 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I don't think BT are leaving PN to itself, exactly. I have little doubt PN's offers are drawn up by BT to suit BT's strategy. I'm sure they hang onto PN's "separate" identity because it thereby attracts customers who've been terminally alienated by BT proper.

Robert C. Townsend (Ex AVIS CEO) in his famous book "Up the Organization" (How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits) termed this business approach as "Pissing in your own soup"

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 17:48:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Exactly.

Though I actually think with BT it's a deepseated hatred of the customers. IMO, BT's never got over losing the monopoly

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:29:41 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

BT is going for EE instead of O2.

BTEETV? Or will BT dump the EE box and stick with YouView?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/15/bt_to_acquire_ee_for_125bn/

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 19:22:08 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Looks like the EE box won't be dumped, at least for the present. NowTV is being added.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/03/11/now-tv-comes-to-ee-smart-box/

By signing for NOW TV, EE gives its customers instant access to Sky’s low-cost streaming service, and its Entertainment, Sky Sports and Movie passes.

Yet BT's supposed flagship box, the second-generation Humax YouView, is still unable to offer the NowTV Entertainment pass.

| Fri 13 Mar 2015 10:59:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.