My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Connect Freesat and Sky Box with Triax Tri-Link

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TeddyR

The diagram shown on Triax Tri-Link Kit web site shows the setup I would like to achieve. I have Freesat Humax HDR 1010 and Sky + HD box located in a cabinet in the Lounge connected via HDMI to wide screen TV and would like to feed Sky and Freeview to Kitchen and Bedroom and control all TV's by Magic Eyes. Before I splash out on a Tri-Link and Link Amp about £100 with 2 additional remote controls can anyone explain how Humax and Sky boxes are connected together. This information is not clear on the web diagram. It appears that that a SCART lead from Freesat Humax and RF2 lead form Sky are fed into the Tri-Link.

| Wed 22 Jul 2015 22:53:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The only connection you need from the Humax to the trilink is composite video and analogue audio. This can be from the 1010 scart or the three rca phono sockets (which may be more convenient).

The magic eyes create a VHF signal carrying the remote control commands. The sky box can use these directly (They are input on the RF2 out socket). Other kit only understands the infra red signals so the tri link unit has the capability to recreate the infra red signals and send them out using small stick on emitters. My Brother in Law found the best position for this is flat on the shelf just in front of the infra red receiver window.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/trilink.htm

However you may be able to save some money.

The magic eyes are only required to provide remote control, if a separate remote control system is available for the Humax all you need is a cheap external modulator.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-MODULATOR-CONVERT-SCART-PHONO-TO-TV-AERIAL-RF-COAX-/131523485356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9f691eac

All you do is connect your aerial to the separate modulator input and it's output to the Sky box rf1 in. A Humax analogue video and audio output is connected to the modulator (The one above has both scart and phono inputs). Choose a suitable channel for it's output one which doesn't clash with any used by your transmitter and the sky box internal modulator (normally defaults to channel 68).

You now have two analogue TV channels on the return cable to the sky compatible distribution amp. If you have a decent Freeview signal you may get away without this as you are only feeding two TV's

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Eye-Splitter-Kit-Suitable-fr-splitting-the-RF2-on-a-Sky-Satellite-Receiver-/230981208253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35c78d88bd

As for remote control there are a number of infra red wireless extension systems (powermids is one).

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-PowerMid-XL-infrared-extender/dp/B000GIXH42/?tag=blusas008-21

If you have a smartphone or tablet then the Freesat app will control your box remotely using your home WiFi system. This will obviate the need for stick on ir emitters.

Welcome to our forum.

| Thu 23 Jul 2015 9:57:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

TeddyR

Thanks for the advice, Problem solved. I have successfully connected 3 rooms with Freesat, Sky and Terrestrial using the Tri-Link Kit and Digital Link plus an extra magic eye. Magic eye's work but only at close range about 1m away with Humax. I need to investigate. Attached is circuit diagram for my set up which I drew on "Dia" open source free software download form Internet. It is s powerful as Visio but a bit clunky but speeds up when you have learned some short cut keys. Thanks again for you help.

Attachments

1. F-_My-Documents_House_TV-SKY-Video_Sky.jpg (113.8 KB, 15 downloads) 8 years old
    | Wed 26 Aug 2015 21:46:22 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TeddyR

Completed my investigation into why the Magic Eye would only work at close range. I firstly changed the MODE of the Remote as suggested on one of the Forum posts. This had no effect, I found the problem to be that theTriax-Tri Link IR transmitter was not close enough to the Humax IR receiver mounted in the front panel. I could not place it closer because the lead between the 2 Triax IR transmitters was not long enough to be able to use on both the Blue-Ray player mounted on the shelf above and the Humax. Solution: stuck the IR transmitter to the underside of the shelf and used a telescopic car inspection mirror set by trial and error to 40 deg. This was then mounted on a short 40 mm dia cylinder sliced at 40 deg and located to the right hand side of the IR receiver so it did not interfere with operating the Humax when using the remote directly on the front panel. The mirror suitably angled is located in position by double-sided adhesive tape. System now works as planned.

| Wed 16 Sep 2015 22:11:59 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.