My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Does the HDR-FOX T2 output recordings via DLNA?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cabsandy

Hi guys,
    First time in here and hopefully the title explains what I'm trying to find out. I've got 3 Humax PVR's at the moment but I want to cut down on this number.Does the T2 output recordings onto a home network (via Ethernet), that can then be played by a DLNA client (I have some AppleTV2's running XBMC,plus some DLNA ready Samsungs).

I'm not fussed if the T2 can play media from a media server on my network, more that the wife can watch her recording of Corrie, upstairs,without multiple Humax's in every room, from the T2

Can this/will this work? I would like to know before I buy the T2

cheers

cabs

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 20:51:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

cabsandy - 35 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not fussed if the T2 can play media from a media server on my network, more that the wife can watch her recording of Corrie, upstairs,without multiple Humax's in every room, from the T2

The HDR has a DLNA server but not all devices can play output from the HDR; High Definition recordings are particularly difficult. The most reliable solution at the moment is to use an HD-FOX T2 (which is much cheaper than the HDR) as the client. If you list the exact make and model of the existing devices then other people may be able to say whether they are known to work (or not work).

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 21:31:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cabsandy

Martin Liddle - 31 minutes ago  » 

cabsandy - 35 minutes ago  » 

The HDR has a DLNA server but not all devices can play output from the HDR; High Definition recordings are particularly difficult. The most reliable solution at the moment is to use an HD-FOX T2 (which is much cheaper than the HDR) as the client. If you list the exact make and model of the existing devices then other people may be able to say whether they are known to work (or not work).

Thanks for the reply Martin-XBMC is my client of choice, as it is so versatile.I've been reading up on the blog http://myhumax.org/blog/?p=540 , which has answered some of my questions. I take it the HD-FOX T2 box doesn't have the server capability, like it's big brother?

Plus can you confirm, or not, that HD recordings from the HDR can be viewed on the likes of an XBMC client? I think I saw a post that mentioned this could be done.If not, no problem, as it's mainly for the wife and SD/HD doesn't make any difference to her!

I think I'll get a Class A HD machine from Humax, see how it looks and performs with the DLNA servers I have on my network, and then go for the HDR to bring it all together. I have Fast Ethernet all over the house so no problem with bandwidth or connectivity.

Great forum you have here, by the way!

cheers

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 22:15:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeremyWW

cabsandy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi guys,
    First time in here and hopefully the title explains what I'm trying to find out. I've got 3 Humax PVR's at the moment but I want to cut down on this number.Does the T2 output recordings onto a home network (via Ethernet), that can then be played by a DLNA client (I have some AppleTV2's running XBMC,plus some DLNA ready Samsungs).
    cheers
    cabs

You can do it but you'll need to use customised firmware to play HD recordings over the network with XBMC.

Admin Edit links and comments removed - see our policy re encryption here:

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/removal-of-certain-links-and-posts

P.S You might want to try the latest XBMC Beta: Eden 3. It's a significant improvement IMO.

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 22:43:16 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cabsandy

Thanks for the replies guys. I have Eden 3' on the AppleTV,and it works very well.

One more thing-if your watching a show on the HD version, that is being streamed from the HDR, what functionality do you have in terms of fast fwd,rewind etc?

Cheers

Cabs

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 7:56:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeremyWW

cabsandy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have Eden 3' on the AppleTV,and it works very well.
    One more thing-if your watching a show on the HD version, that is being streamed from the HDR, what functionality do you have in terms of fast fwd,rewind etc?
    Cheers
    Cabs

Unfortunately, because my earlier reply was edited in a way that removed all meaning from it, you cannot see that I had answered your question. If you search for 'hummy (dot) tv' you will see a forum that will answer all your questions. You need to search the wiki there for info on customised software. And no, you will have not Fast Forward or Rewind functionality while streaming. XBMC currently have no solution to this.

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 9:38:11 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

No Need to go elsewhere, the trick play question has already been answered on here:

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/pre-purchase-questions#post-2946

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 9:42:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeremyWW

Barry - 8 minutes ago  » 
    No Need to go elsewhere, the trick play question has already been answered on here:
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/pre-purchase-questions#post-2946

I misread cabs post - thought he was still talking about XBMX sreaming HD.

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 9:52:29 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

cabsandy

Barry,
    Thanks for the reply-in fairness to the other poster, and maybe this is my fault for moving the thread on, does the trick play from HDR>>HD have the same functionality as HDR>>XBMC (or any other DLNA client that people use)?
    Just trying to look at the various options, with the current kit I have.

Great site-makes a change to come on and ask something without being flamed and constantly pointed to a 30 page FAQ....

cheers

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 11:51:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeremyWW

cabsandy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Barry,
    Thanks for the reply-in fairness to the other poster, and maybe this is my fault for moving the thread on, does the trick play from HDR>>HD have the same functionality as HDR>>XBMC (or any other DLNA client that people use)?
    Just trying to look at the various options, with the current kit I have.

Great site-makes a change to come on and ask something without being flamed and constantly pointed to a 30 page FAQ....
    cheers

Cabs,

That has nothing to do with XBMC, or 'any other' DLNA client. Its a HUMAX 'box - box' scenario only, which is why Barry pointed you there, in response to your last question (which I misread). If you're not inclined to take it from me, I really do suggest that you research this on the XBMC and Hummy forums as well as there are extensive threads on this subject. It is because of the lack of control via a PC DLNA client that I will be taking the HDR box to HD box route myself.

| Fri 17 Feb 2012 15:34:44 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.