My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR T1010

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyDee

Hi
    My first visit and I would like to know if other users have experienced problems starting the You View box.
    I get "please wait" and then the small dots progressing.
    Then, nothing even after 24 hrs.
    I have tried maintenance reset to no avail.
    The box was purchased in Feb 2013 so just out of warranty.
    Thanks for any help
    Tony

| Tue 14 Jul 2015 18:50:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

By maintenance reset, do you mean one of the options from the Maintenance Mode menu? Which one(s)? What was the result? Have you tried the 8-second reset?

| Tue 14 Jul 2015 20:06:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyDee

Hi James
    Yes tried all options available (the 8 second didn't acheive anything) so am returning to Richer Sound today and get them to investigate.
    If it helps I'll post result of visit.
    Tony

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 10:03:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Good that you bought it from RS. Would be interested to hear what they say.

A lot of T1000/1010 boxes die on "Nearly Ready..." - I lost two - but never discovered the cause or causes.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 10:14:48 #4 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

JamesB - 38 minutes ago  » A lot of T1000/1010 boxes die on "Nearly Ready..." - I lost two - but never discovered the cause or causes.

The main board develops a power distribution fault. For these units to fully boot-up (get past nearly ready) the hard drive needs to have a stable power supply and be correctly formatted. That is why you also get stuck at 'nearly ready' if you replace the hard drive in a working unit: it will only fully boot after you go into maintenance mode and format the drive (by selecting either 'factory reset, delete recordings ' or 'internet / USB recovery, delete recordings).
    The power distribution fault seems only to affect the 12V rail: 12V is supplied from the PSU to the main board but the fault typically lies in the main board, not the PSU. As far as I can tell, the 5.8V rail is unaffected. This is interesting since the PSU only supplies 12V, which is converted to 5.8V on the main board itself. I have not tested this, but you could probably resurrect a 'nearly ready' unit by replacing the 3.5 inch drive with a 2.5 inch drive as the latter does not use the 12V supply. I do have a 'nearly ready' DTR-T1000 which I got working by removing the drive and housing it in an external caddy with its own 12V power adapter. This is connected to the main board using an e-SATA to SATA data cable. The caddy has power saving firmware which spins the drive down when not in use but this causes the unit no issues. As it also has a USB port it makes it very easy to copy off any standard def. content: I connect the USB port to a laptop running Ubuntu which can read the XFS-formatted recording partition.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 11:41:56 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Interesting. If I still had the box I might give it a try. But I've seen other explanations suggested, so I dunno. Be interesting to see what RS conclude.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 12:12:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyDee

Hi
    Interesting repsonse from MontyET, but way too technical for me to attempt or even understand
    I have taken it back to RS and they told me I had their 3 year extra warranty (I had lost all paperwork). So 5 stars for RS and my new box will arrive next week - result.
    I remain impressed by RS both service and staff.
    Thanks
    Tony

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 18:01:57 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

A good result indeed.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 18:35:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyDee

In the light of my experience, I would express the opinion that an extended warranty, especially since the Humax unit seems to be "prone to unusual performance" in many cases.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 18:59:54 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The G4 models are said to be much more reliable. And of course most Humax YouView boxes are "free" from BT. But I agree, anyone buying YouView retail would be wise to buy from RS and take the warranty.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 19:26:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.