My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

error - No more storage available!!!

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mfelton

I have been trying to find a solution to copy off recordings to free up space on internal HD. I realise the need for ext3 format for files over 4GB. I tried without success formatting drives to ext3 using various progs on my Mac. Recently I saw that HumaxDirect were selling drives in the "Collection" section listed as "Already formatted for use with Humax units". Ah hah! that should be safe I thought. However after paying £169 for the 2TB unit I discover it is only formatted in FAT32!! So I downloaded a copy of Easeus partition prog and borrowed a friends Windows laptop to format the drive to ext3. This was apparently successful because the Foxsat recognises the drive and shows 0% used and will make and name folders.

Now to try and copy something. In the file manager I do all the right things, i.e mount the sda1 folder on the external, select a programme to copy - the green copy light IS ACTIVE, select COPY but now get an error message saying "No more storage available". This happens whether the files are HD or SD or big or small.

This is a ridiculous situation. Any idea how to overcome this (hopefully) final hurdle?

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 14:08:24 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not sure why this might be. One suggestion what happens if you format the drive as two 50% space EXT3 partitions ?

| Fri 30 Dec 2011 14:32:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mfelton

Thanks for the prompt answer. It sounds like a bit of a long shot but I will give it a try (though I think I will need to buy the paid for version of Easeus to create partitions).

Incidentally I find it most strange that all these issues are left to users to muddle through when one would think that Humax must know the answers and could publish the info to enable full use of its products?

| Sat 31 Dec 2011 14:12:16 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mfelton - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the prompt answer. It sounds like a bit of a long shot but I will give it a try (though I think I will need to buy the paid for version of Easeus to create partitions).
    Incidentally I find it most strange that all these issues are left to users to muddle through when one would think that Humax must know the answers and could publish the info to enable full use of its products?

The free version will do the job.

Delete the existing partition, create two new ones and format each EXT3.

| Sat 31 Dec 2011 14:16:01 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dalesman

So if I have understood this and other posts correctly I can buy any decent 2Tb external drive and format it into 2 EXT 3 partitions on my PC using Easeus Home Software and I will then be able to handle it with File Manager on my Humas Foxsat.

This will allow me to create files on the external drive and copy recordings from the internal drive to the external drive and watch them directly from the external drive.

I will not be able to record directly on to the external drive but will always have to copy from the internal drive AND I may find that some HD programmes will be encoded and will not copy.

Have I understood the current situation correctly? If so I will buy a 2Tb drive and have a go. Any recommendations as to which make and model?

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 12:01:47 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not sure the OP never came back and confirmed that the 2TB drive worked when partitioned into two 1TB partitions. A 1TB drive works OK though (I have one). All HD recorded in Freesat mode is encrypted and usually has a copy once restriction. You can copy encrypted HD to the usb drive and replay it from there, unlike SD you can only play it on the hdr that recorded it.

If you try it be sure to let us know if it works

HDD's are very expensive at the moment due to the flooding in Thailand knocking out much of the manufacturing capacity.

Welcome to the forum

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 12:12:56 #6 |
  7. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Dalesman - 1 hour ago  » 
    Any recommendations as to which make and model?

I recommend getting an external hard drive that can power on and off with the HDR, if you plan to plug it in and leave it in situ.

I have two 1TB LaCie d2's - one on the FOXSAT and one on the T2. Although these are expensive, they work quite very well, with ports for all your needs (USB, Firewire and eSATA).

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 13:07:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

podman

what about one of these on offer from pcworld and stick it in an enclosure 3TB for 120 quid.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=pcworld

podman

| Sun 15 Jan 2012 1:52:59 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mfelton

Sorry for the late follow up (I posted the original query).

I can now confirm that the drive is formatted as 2x 1TB (ext3) partitions it is recognised by the FoxSat. I have successfully copied 60min+ HD progs successfully and they play off the external drive. (You cannot copy them back anyway as the "one copy" has been used!

Thanks for the suggestion to split the 2TB into 2x 1TB partitions. (I used the EASEUS free programme).

Mike

| Thu 19 Jan 2012 0:50:22 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mfelton - 9 hours ago  » 
    Sorry for the late follow up (I posted the original query).
    I can now confirm that the drive is formatted as 2x 1TB (ext3) partitions it is recognised by the FoxSat. I have successfully copied 60min+ HD progs successfully and they play off the external drive. (You cannot copy them back anyway as the "one copy" has been used!
    Thanks for the suggestion to split the 2TB into 2x 1TB partitions. (I used the EASEUS free programme).
    Mike

Raydons AV2HDR will reset the copy flag for you if you wish. Thanks for the confirmation, certain others will find the info usefull.

| Thu 19 Jan 2012 10:41:28 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.