My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Expand Humax capacity

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jsp

Hello!

I am a Mum with a 500GB Foxsat-HDR Humax box full of CBeebies tv programmes. I am wondering if you could give me advice on how to expand the recording capacity without taking on too much time-consuming work?

I wondered - should I

1) replace the internal hard drive (currently 500GB) with a 2TB one, or could I

2) just plug in a 2TB external hard drive?

If I plug in an external hard drive, would I have to manually copy the tv programmes every week, or would the humax box record directly to the external drive and play directly from it?

If you could even just direct me to the appropriate documentation that would be great.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Thanks,

jsp

| Wed 20 Aug 2014 21:38:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The largest drive the Foxsat can install by itself is 1TB. To use a 2TB drive the drive has to be partitioned and formatted EXT3 on a PC.

There's a guide how to do this here:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/humax-foxsat-hdr-%C2%96-upgrade-hdd-to-2tb.1336395/

You can't record directly to a USB drive, you have to copy the recordings to the external drive after they are completed. You can watch the existing recordings on the 500GB drive by slotting it into a usb cradle and use it as an external storage drive.

The box needs a low power AV specced drive like this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/340651-wd-av-gp-1tb-64mb-sata-6gb-s-intellipower-hard-drive-wd10eurx?gclid=CjwKEAjwsdafBRC2rYuDuYXk2TESJACsUN_uv8U3D1fCA2F8Roz0R5djt7qQl-9K8wSCvtUEMREAMhoCCeXw_wcB

You will need to jumper pins 5 & 6 to reduce the data transfer rate.

To cope with programmes larger than 4GB (many HD recordings will be larger than 4GB), the external drive needs to be formatted EXT3 format (See Foxsat HDR FAQ's)

Welcome to the forum

| Thu 21 Aug 2014 10:25:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jsp

Fantastic, thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out.

Does that mean that once I've copied recordings across to an external hard drive, I will still be able to play them without copying them back?

Thanks a million. So extremely helpful.

jsp

| Thu 21 Aug 2014 11:24:43 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jsp - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Fantastic, thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out.
    Does that mean that once I've copied recordings across to an external hard drive, I will still be able to play them without copying them back?
    Thanks a million. So extremely helpful.
    jsp

Yes you can replay directly from the USB drive. That's why you can connect the old drive to the USB port and replay the existing recordings. You will find them in the video folder in the third partition (SDA3) if I remember correctly.

TIP If you don't use the box to store many photos or MP3's, then immediately after installing the new drive elect to format both partitions using the box menus. This gives you a slider which allows you to allocate all but 1GB to the Video recording partition (max space for recordings).

| Thu 21 Aug 2014 11:36:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jsp

Fabulous! Thanks so much for this. Total lifesaver.

Problem solved.

jsp

| Thu 21 Aug 2014 11:59:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jsp

Hello!

Would you mind if I ask a quick question about how to get the external USB drive to work?

We bought a 4TB external hard drive. We also have a 32GB usb thumb drive that is formatted in ext3. The thumb drive works just fine for moving tv programmes from the Human to the laptop. We took the entire disc image from the thumb drive and copied it onto the 4TB external hard drive, then plugged in the 4TB drive. The Humax says: "Cannot read USB device. Supported formats are (blah blah blah). Please format drive on a PC."

Just formatting the external drive in ext3 does not work either. I wondered if you had any ideas?

Thanks!

Jsp

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 16:49:08 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try partitioning the 4TB drive into say 4 1TB partitions and format each partition separately. Suspect it's the size that is the issue.

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 17:00:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

ditto what Graham said, although 2 x 2TB partitions should also work if that makes more sense

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 18:06:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

damian - 13 minutes ago  » 
    ditto what Graham said, although 2 x 2TB partitions should also work if that makes more sense

Really? I thought it would depend on the partition type; if it is GPT then I wonder if the Humax kernel supports it; if it is MBR then it will be limited to 2TB unless the USB hardware is presenting a large block size.

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 18:22:36 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I don't have a 4TB external drive to play with and I don't think anybody here can give a definite answer without having exactly the same model 4TB drive to test; however if 4TB doesn't work then 2 x 2TB would be the next logical step, if lucky both and if not then at least one of the 2TB partitions should be visible.
    The kernel won't support >2TB natively

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 18:54:51 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.