My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Foxsat HDV Very slow to boot

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SEMcW

It has always taken an irritatingly long time for my Foxsat HD to boot after it turns itself off overnight, but in the last few days this has got a lot worse and can now take up to an hour to boot up. I have tried removing the power lead and plugging in after a few minutes. I have also unsuccessfully tried to get my head round whether it needs a software update and if so how to go about it. Any advice?

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 16:12:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. Have you tried resetting the box to factory defaults ?. It could be that the power supply capacitors need replacing. There are cheap repair kits available on the internet.

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 16:37:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SEMcW

I have tried to restore factory settings, but can't as it requires a password (which I don't have). I have found the screen to update software, but it says there is no software update available. in the diagnostics screen it says it is running software version HZPTSF 1.00.28 and that the update date was 08 Dec 2010. Is all this OK?

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 16:57:37 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SEMcW - 20 minutes ago  » 
    I have tried to restore factory settings, but can't as it requires a password (which I don't have). I have found the screen to update software, but it says there is no software update available. in the diagnostics screen it says it is running software version HZPTSF 1.00.28 and that the update date was 08 Dec 2010. Is all this OK?

Default password is 0000 (4 zeros).

I don't have a Foxsat-HD anymore, gave it to a friend but if I remember correctly that was the latest software. Sure someone else will confirm this.

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 17:18:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SEMcW

Thanks Graham, I'll give it a try. Do you know if the software is really up to date as it was last updated in Dec 2010? if it isn't, could that be the problem?

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 17:21:49 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SEMcW

Sorry - my screen was overlapping and I didn't see your comment about software until after I had replied!

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 17:22:51 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SEMcW - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, I'll give it a try. Do you know if the software is really up to date as it was last updated in Dec 2010? if it isn't, could that be the problem?

If the factory reset doesn't work I would guess it's a hardware issue, most likely the power supply referred to. It's cheap and simple repair for anyone that can use a soldering iron.

Example of a kit

http://shop.mikecartwright.net/humax-foxsat-repair-kit/

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 17:29:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SEMcW

I have now managed to restore the factory settings and after manually turning the Humax off and on again - it booted really quickly - hurrah. So I am hopeful that this might do the trick. Many thanks for your help.

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 17:35:44 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SEMcW

If it doesn't I'll have to persuade my husband to get his soldering iron out and try the hardware repair.

| Thu 13 Feb 2014 17:37:02 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.