My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freesat/Freeview

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gowman

I've currently got a Triax Trilink modulator successfully pumping out a second signal from my Humax HDR 1000S nto an old CRT TV in bedroom by plugging it into the aerial socket of the old beast.

If I replace the old Tv with a new one it will obviously come with built in Freeview.

So if I pump the same secondary Freesat output into the new second Tv's aerial socket, rather than the expected aerial feed will it cope with this?

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 18:23:18 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It wont work to give you freeview channels, satellite tuners and terrestrial tuners are very different though both are digital. Satellite uses a higher frequency band than the UHF band used for terrestrial.

Terrestrial Freeview (requires a conventional aerial) uses DVB-T/DVB-T2 DVB stands for Digital Video Broadcasting and the T for terrestrial)

Satellite (requires a dish and a lnb) uses DVB-S/DVB-S (s stands for satellite). I leave it to you to guess what DVB-C stands for.

Your modulator outputs a analogue PAL signal that requires an analogue tuner in the TV. Provided your new TV is analogue capable you can continue to watch the HDR1000S.

To get freeview you need to connect a conventional aerial to the triax coax input socket. That will deliver all the Freeview digital channels your aerial can get plus the analogue channel created by the modulator to the remote TV using the existing coax cable.

If you already have this connection you will be able watch freeview.

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 18:34:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gowman

Thanks Graham, I'd rather have Freesat than Freeview which works ok on two out of four CRT Tvs so far hence I might try on the new one & as my main TV is already with built in Freeview if the Freesat doesn't work on a new TV I can always stick a new independent aerialin the attic & drop a lead down to get Freview if the Freesat doesn't work. Alternatively are the modern indoor set top aerials any use?

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 19:58:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Gowman - 59 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, I'd rather have Freesat than Freeview which works ok on two out of four CRT Tvs so far hence I might try on the new one & as my main TV is already with built in Freeview if the Freesat doesn't work on a new TV I can always stick a new independent aerialin the attic & drop a lead down to get Freview if the Freesat doesn't work. Alternatively are the modern indoor set top aerials any use?

I think you misunderstand, your new TV won't get Freesat, it will allow you to watch whatever your Freesat box downstairs happens to be sending to the TV (including replaying a recording or a video file from say a usb drive). If you have a aerial downstairs, there is no problem.

Your aerial connects to the triax unit aerial in, your downstairs TV connects to the Triax RF1 (aerial 1) out, the remote TV connects to rf2 out (as already). With this connection your new TV will be able to watch whatever your freesat box is currently viewing (as you have now), and any freeview channel (just like your downstairs TV).

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 21:03:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gowman

Thx, I think we're probably on same wavelength towards the required end result.

However my aerial at main tv goes straight into the tv socket as that tv has built in freeview & no aerial input goes near my freesat kit. Freesat gets it's two dish inputs & outputs to the main tv by hdmi cable. Then I've a scart from the humax to the triad & out via rf modulated output to remote tv.

As long as that can still pump into a new freeview ready tv, i'm happy with freesat & not really interested in freeview on it

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 22:27:15 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Gowman - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Thx, I think we're probably on same wavelength towards the required end result.
    However my aerial at main tv goes straight into the tv socket as that tv has built in freeview & no aerial input goes near my freesat kit. Freesat gets it's two dish inputs & outputs to the main tv by hdmi cable. Then I've a scart from the humax to the triad & out via rf modulated output to remote tv.
    As long as that can still pump into a new freeview ready tv, i'm happy with freesat & not really interested in freeview on it

A bit confused, where is your Freesat kit in relation to your main TV ? How long is the hdmi cable from your freesat pvr to your TV ?

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 23:04:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gowman

Right beside it & 1m HDMI cable

| Fri 6 Mar 2015 7:37:56 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Gowman - 3 hours ago  » 
    Right beside it & 1m HDMI cable

So why can't you remove the aerial from the TV and connect it to the triax modulator and then connect the triax rf1 out to the TV aerial in. That's how it's supposed to be connected.

| Fri 6 Mar 2015 11:21:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gowman

Because it's Freesat I want at the second TV & I just wanted to know if I piped it into a new Freeview TV it would work on Freesat.

However if it doesn't yes you've highlighted an easy freeview option

| Fri 6 Mar 2015 12:08:00 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Gowman - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Because it's Freesat I want at the second TV & I just wanted to know if I piped it into a new Freeview TV it would work on Freesat.
    However if it doesn't yes you've highlighted an easy freeview option

Still not sure what you mean by will the new remote TV work on freesat. Only a TV with a built in Freesat tuner or a directly connected freesat box and in both cases connected to a lnb on a dish will work on freesat.

That doesn't mean you can't relay the audio and video output of an existing freesat remote box using a modulator (provided the remote TV has a PAL tuner) . The picture will be SD only and the audio mono not stereo. Without the Freeview connection the only thing you can watch on the remote TV is whatever happens to output from the freesat box to it's local TV.

| Fri 6 Mar 2015 12:27:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.