Barry

senior admin

As per subject see link:

http://www.dmol.co.uk/Consultations

| Mon 30 Jul 2012 16:15:44 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Would anyone care to predict how this will affect the Humax Freeview+ PVRs and their recordings behaviour?

| Mon 30 Jul 2012 21:19:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I'll stick my neck out.

Why would it affect the Humax Freeview+ PVRS recordings behaviour?
    Aren't the LCNs just used when allocating the channel numbers during tuning?

In a way this change is similar in some ways to tuning into muxs from different transmitters. When tuned to more than one transmitter there are usually channels allocated different LCNs than in the NIT. It is still possible to switch channels to watch one of the 800s. Just because the NIT has changed since tuning should not be any different. Also on a duplicate transmitter scenario providing you were last tuned to a channel from the same transmitter then the timer recording will still work. This demonstrates that changing the LCNs in the NIT will also be OK as far as recording goes.

What could be an issue is for HD/HDR-Fox-T2s on version 28 as they may have a forced retune and lose the schedule.

| Tue 31 Jul 2012 16:51:58 #3 |
  4. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

On a personal note, these are the issues I have in mind:

• Does a channel rescan delete your schedules?
    • Do all channels reappear (including those you've deleted)?
    • What happens to your favourite list(s)?
    • What happens to recording priorities?

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 13:37:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Acorn

One thing I learnt from this site a while back is always to do a Manual rescan after doing a default reset (all channels and recording schedules gone). If you start at channel 21 and work your way up, you will find the current five frequency channels with the near 100% quality; do a search on each individual of those as you find them till you get to channel 69; then no 800s. Currently on an SD Hummy you will find the HD frequency; good signal but no quality reading for that Tx mode.
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/guidance/tech-guidance/dsodetails/ .

Does anyone know who is actually running the Digital Terrestrial Television platform known, currently, as Freeview? Who is the Boss Hog of the whole system; what is the hierarchy of the organisations involved? Basically, who is the split NIT who kicks arse to get it sorted and the operating rules standardised and obeyed? If you find him please can you tell him/her that it should be compulsory for the EPG to show which series and episode of any programme is scheduled. And; the EPG recording reservation should be able to tell the difference between the latest series showing in the evening and the series being repeated on day-time TV.

As Hummy have volunteered to make a box for the "YouView" specification, is Freeview likely to be renamed and re-specified as FreeYouView or ViewYouFree+Top-up-NotFree etc etc. Boss Hog needs to get a grip on this animal.

Cautionary note. My neighbour bought, on-line, an HD Ready 1080i TV recently, to watch the Olympics on BBC HD. You have probably guessed the rest already. It may say HD Ready but that does not mean it has got an HD Freeview tuner in it. If it ain't got the "FreeviewHD" logo on it, then it's Freeview(SD). Same with Smart TVs. Keep the TV dumb. The smarts in the TV will be out of date in 18 months; you will probably keep the TV for seven to ten years. Keep the smarts in the set top box, it's cheaper and easier to throw away. All the best, great site. Acorn.

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 14:58:49 #5 |
  6. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Having just read in the news about companies bidding to run the local channels, and reading the DMOL link, it seems that there are going to be a lot more channels next year.

So how will my aging PVR-9200T going to cope with the EPG data carousel and caching the EPG on to disk - will it cope? Will any legacy kit going to cope? I'm worrying for nothing right?

Talking of legacy kit, didn't the Toppy have a major NIT issue at one stage?

| Tue 14 Aug 2012 11:06:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

son_t - 2 hours ago  » Talking of legacy kit, didn't the Toppy have a major NIT issue at one stage?

Yes. R2-D2 wrote the NitFix patch fairly quickly. Topfield did release a new firmware but left the SplitNIT feature in.

| Tue 14 Aug 2012 13:56:01 #7 |
  8. Scuttlebroom

Scuttlebroom

Looks like Sky have thrown a spanner in the works, so looks like we will have to do this more than once!

http://www.a516digital.com/2012/08/19th-september-2012-proposed-freeview.html

http://www.a516digital.com/2012/08/sky-appeal-puts-some-freeview-channel.html

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 9:58:28 #8 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Luke - 6 days ago  » 

son_t - 2 hours ago  » Talking of legacy kit, didn't the Toppy have a major NIT issue at one stage?

Yes. R2-D2 wrote the NitFix patch fairly quickly. Topfield did release a new firmware but left the SplitNIT feature in.

If only they had adopted the rest of R2's fixes. Makes you wonder how many Toppy users are still running the inferior official firmware or binned their box due to that (or the PSU caps failing)?

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 11:03:33 #9 |
  10. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

Seems the retune scheduled for today is "around lunchtime" and a further retune will occur on 17th October.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 10:06:08 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.