My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard disk upgrade - using WD20EURS 2tb

(101 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Started with Unit in standby, firstly disconnected power then waited 1 min for capacitors to discharge.

Removed the rear case screw and the 4 screws hidden under the feet – I removed the feet pads with a watchmakers screwdriver – they are self adhesive and can be refitted later. Removed the lid.
    With magnetised screwdriver removed the 4 screws holding the disk caddy.
    Lifted caddy and removed combined power/sata connector.
    Removed the caddy, unscrewed the 4 side screws.
    Removed disk (You may need to push the disk out carefully as it is quite snug) I used a screwdriver and was careful to only contact the enclosed part of the drive.
    Inserted WD20EURS and refitted everything.

Reconnected power and waiting for the unit to recover from power failure. Booted unit.

Unit started on last channel viewed - 20 Secs or so later an on screen message that HD is not formatted. Press OK to go to HD format. Selected OK then Selected “Next” to format.
    The formatting message displayed for about 3 mins.

Following that all good to go. A Very simple upgrade – no nearby components to worry about unlike the Foxsat.

Out of my 2tb:
    Free 1690.2
    Used: 92.8
    Res. 80.1
    Total 1863.0

One point to note: It was not possible to access my previous recordings. I tried by mounting the drive in a USB enclosure. It was however possible to access the Videos, Music and Pictures.

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 10:46:29 #1 |
  2. chrisund123

chrisund123

Nice work! What type of PC did you try the old disk in out of curiosity?

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 12:36:52 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I placed it a usb caddy and looked at it with the HDR-1000S which said it was empty!
    I think that the recordings partition is encryped see the following post for a some info. http://www.avforums.com/forums/17842158-post346.html

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 12:51:49 #3 |
  4. chrisund123

chrisund123

Ah I see, that makes sense - was gonna suggest hooking it up to a linux PC to see what it made of things

Shame about the system partition being encrypted, it'll make life a lot more difficult for custom firmware etc... Anyone know if Humax will be releasing their kernel source under the open source agreement?

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 13:28:38 #4 |
  5. chrisund123

chrisund123

Oh and another question - what was the make/model of HDD that came with the box as standard?

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 13:34:36 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

chrisund123 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Oh and another question - what was the make/model of HDD that came with the box as standard?

Seagate Pipeline HD 2 You may find it difficult to find as Seagate are moving to HD 3 (sata 6) which is why I went for the WD.

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 14:47:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Did you have to break any security seals in order to change out the HD? I ask because I would really like to upgrade the HD but don't want to void my warranty.

Mandlebrot

| Sun 4 Nov 2012 11:40:02 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Mandlebrot - 2 hours ago  » 
    Did you have to break any security seals in order to change out the HD? I ask because I would really like to upgrade the HD but don't want to void my warranty.
    Mandlebrot

Yes the small one on the rear of the unit.

| Sun 4 Nov 2012 14:12:52 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Upgraded my HDD today, same drive as Repassac. No problems )

| Tue 6 Nov 2012 16:57:17 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

theoddbot

Do these devices have a maximum capacity of 2TB or would a 3TB drive work without any problems?

| Sun 11 Nov 2012 21:20:51 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.