My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. andyfras

andyfras

The photo is too small to see any detail, but it looks fine to me. If you are referring to the red component on the left, it is a diode, and the black mark indicates its polarity.

On some models the electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard can be out of specification (ESR measurement) after a few years, but show no physical signs of failure (bulging or leaking).

| Sun 16 Oct 2016 10:52:28 #441 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

GP2016

Just to update from my side. After taking to Twitter Humax agreed to repair the box FOC. Which was funny considering that they refused to accept it as a charged repair.

The repair ticket before collection stated that the box needed a resistor change, showing that humax as some knowledge of the issue and repair centre confirmed this by changing a 120k resistor and returned the box after about a week.

The first thing I noticed when I connected the repaired box up was that the recordings had been wiped and the box was showing <1% disk used. I expected it to show 20% use for the pause TV reserved space. The box also appeared sluggish and failed to record about 50% of the time it was set to. Also during playback the picture would start and stop like you were constantly pressing play and pause.

I contacted the helpline. They confirmed that the disk should not show <1% used, it should not have been wiped, and that the fix was to format the disk. I did this and it was just the same.

They then agreed to "upgrade" me to the latest box. This box arrived last Friday. The new box is not an upgrade, but a cost reduced device without any display. It has a multicloloured LED on the front and that's it. I can't see any new features or extra functionality. Interestingly it also shows <1% disk used. So have they done away with the disk reserve for pause TV?

The new box has already needed to be switched off and on again to recover from a freeze.

It still has the issue of blocking on 4od, but that is for another thread.

Time will show, how the new box performs and if it lasts more than about 15 months between failures. My statement to FreeSat still stands, unless they find a reliable supplier of set top boxes, how do they expect to keep their views.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 8:57:23 #442 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

First report of my issues, my memory is poor so sorry if details are sketchy.

Started getting rewind buffer issues, also had instances where box booted up to "disk will be formatted" pop-ups, finding all recordings disappeared etc.

The whole gamut of issues known about here.

The box was paired yonks ago but quickly unpaired, so not paired for ages.

Sick of the regular loss of recorded programmes, I resorted to pulling the hard disk and replacing it with a non-ACE hard disk I had removed from a PC some time before.

A month or so has passed and the box has not experienced any funnies since.

My wife did make one suggestion - she thinks that sometimes the box went funny after she deleted a recording whilst it was still playing. ????

Alan..

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 11:47:47 #443 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevewinston

i too have just replaced the hard drive in my 1010s and to no avail!! I had used the app to remotely record this summer and since then the HD has malfunctioned many times and finally stopped working altogether. so 50 quid wasted! unless someone can tell me how i can use this brand new disc elsewhere?
    Steve.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 16:53:47 #444 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alanm1969 - 2 days ago  » 
    First report of my issues, my memory is poor so sorry if details are sketchy.
    Started getting rewind buffer issues, also had instances where box booted up to "disk will be formatted" pop-ups, finding all recordings disappeared etc.
    The whole gamut of issues known about here.
    The box was paired yonks ago but quickly unpaired, so not paired for ages.
    Sick of the regular loss of recorded programmes, I resorted to pulling the hard disk and replacing it with a non-ACE hard disk I had removed from a PC some time before.
    A month or so has passed and the box has not experienced any funnies since.
    My wife did make one suggestion - she thinks that sometimes the box went funny after she deleted a recording whilst it was still playing. ????
    Alan..

This is a known issue, simple solution is press the stop button before attempting to delete. If it happens choose resume from the media display and then press stop. The delete should then work as expected. Suspect it's a bug that thinks the recording playback is still active, and protects the recording from deletion.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 19:50:38 #445 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MummyCat

I am not sure if I am asking something that has already been covered and apologise if I am.
    I have a Humas 1000S 1tb box and I got a message saying that I had no saved recordings and was unable to record anything.

I purchased a new 1tb Western Digital drive but am unable to find exactly where I need to go to be able to format it as the HDD menu is greyed out in settings.

In the meantime I came across an old Foxsat box which had had a hd failure so I tried the drive in this, it formatted and worked perfectly. I say it worked perfectly, it did for 1 day and now it no longer does, it asks me to push ok to format it but just takes me to the 'list' menu. I took the boxes and drive into my friendly computer shop and they managed to format it in the Foxsat but when I got home no joy and they are still flummoxed over the newer box.

Can some kindly sole please give me any advice

Thank you very much

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 13:44:39 #446 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

8. User has not uploaded an avatar

robyholmes

Just adding myself as another user with this problem. We removed the Freesat ID and left the box disconnected for a few hours. When we re-connected it, we could watch recordings again but it was back to causing problems after a few hours.

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 15:25:51 #448 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

There are two similar problems.
    One where just the recordings disappear and the other in which the internal disk is not seen.
    The first is normally cared by a reboot the second not.
    Avoid looking at the recordings until the boot is complete and you can dismiss the mini-guide.

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 15:52:56 #449 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MummyCat

Sorry, but how do I format a new drive in my 1000S, I can't seem to find this answer anywhere, Thanks

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 16:17:29 #450 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.