My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan1234

Hi all. First post on here. Having the same problem with my HDR-1000S 1TB and convinced its a software issue. I got back from holiday in early September 2016 to find an update available for the freesat app. Dowloaded the updated and paired with my Humax which almost immediately stopped working. Unit wouldn't recognise HDD. Contacted Humax who said it was a HDD or SATA failure and to reset the box. Not sure how a reset fixes a hardware failure but never mind. Followed the advice on here about disconnecting from the app and the internet and the unit now recognises the HDD again but it's still problematic and wants to reformat all the time. Humax say only that they have been unable to identify a software issue as the cause and it might be an intermittent hardware failure. Smells more than a little fishy to me so have sent the whole story to BBC Watchdog. Humax have a monopoly on the Freesat HD+ market. I suggest anyone with the same problem email Watchdog and we'll see if that gets Humax to pull their finger out.

| Fri 28 Oct 2016 12:19:04 #461 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rkl

I'm joining the "me too" list of people on this thread - my HDR 1000S' hard drive has "disappeared" and none of the tips here (power off for a while, disconnect Ethernet, factory reset, downgrade firmware) work. I did pair it ages ago and immediately unpaired it back then because of the ludicrous HDD spin up every 20 mins. I actually deleted my Freesat account as a precaution too (nothing was listed as paired).

I've decided to get a Zgemma H2S instead, which is not only cheaper than the Humax but seems a lot more hackable (and uses external storage to record). The HDR 1000 was a refurb that's out of its warranty, so I'll keep it as a spare and see if it will "revive" at a future date.

| Sun 30 Oct 2016 11:22:52 #462 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

I've looked at the Zgemma H2S myself, but I was lucky and managed to get both my boxes working again.

If anyone is interested repair kits are available for the following boxes:-

Foxsat HD Freesat
    Fox T-2 HD Freeview
    5100, 5200,5300, 5400
    9150T, 9200, 9300T

| Sun 30 Oct 2016 11:50:54 #463 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

teecee90

Humax are still claiming no knowledge of a fix despite the announcement on the Freesat web site. Has anyone managed to get their box fixed by Humax? Their latest response to me is:

"Hello

Freesat have not advised ourselves that the problem has been resolved so I think you may be looking at an earlier message from them. I would advise contacting Freesat where they should be able to provide you with more information on their fix.

Best Regards,
    Bethan
    Humax Customer Support"

| Thu 10 Nov 2016 12:31:31 #464 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MummyCat

Hi, I actually spoke to them recently about my 1000S box and they told me yes, there was an issue with a component but were unable to actually tell me what it was. They did however tell me to return my box and they would rectify the problem for a total of £26 - I have to get the box back to the UK as I live in France so will be sending it back next month and will report back

| Thu 10 Nov 2016 12:50:05 #465 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mark172

I've just been browsing online for input on my own HDR 1000s purchased 3 years ago, which suffered a power failure a few weeks ago. The external power pack has a green light, so I assume all ok there, and to start with it did seem as if the HD was sill spinning but was unable to power up the box. I have had various of the other issues in the past but these seem to have just been glitches. Most of the posts seem to be about hard drive failure HD or not. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

| Sat 26 Nov 2016 23:18:19 #466 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Corks finest

Dan1234 - 1 month ago  » 
    Hi all. First post on here. Having the same problem with my HDR-1000S 1TB and convinced its a software issue. I got back from holiday in early September 2016 to find an update available for the freesat app. Dowloaded the updated and paired with my Humax which almost immediately stopped working. Unit wouldn't recognise HDD. Contacted Humax who said it was a HDD or SATA failure and to reset the box. Not sure how a reset fixes a hardware failure but never mind. Followed the advice on here about disconnecting from the app and the internet and the unit now recognises the HDD again but it's still problematic and wants to reformat all the time. Humax say only that they have been unable to identify a software issue as the cause and it might be an intermittent hardware failure. Smells more than a little fishy to me so have sent the whole story to BBC Watchdog. Humax have a monopoly on the Freesat HD+ market. I suggest anyone with the same problem email Watchdog and we'll see if that gets Humax to pull their finger out.

hi,jyst saw your email ref her problems,great idea ref watchdog,unfortunstley,those of us outside the u.k. haven't got a watchdog equivalent,personally think humax are scammers,a s they aren't admitting fault

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 22:22:52 #467 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I'll repeat what I have just posted in answer to your incorrect assumption in another thread.

Suggest in future you check your facts!

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/not-recording-no-hard-drive-hdr-1000s500gb/page/2#post-52816

| Thu 22 Dec 2016 22:25:17 #468 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Woodyskw

Just for the record my 1000S failed, very similar scenarios as described here (No Freesat App for what it's worth) I have 5 other Humax units in rented accomodation and in other parts of the house etc. Have always been super impressed with Humax and thought my failure was a one off so reluctantly accepted it and purchased an 1100 replacement. Prior to throwing out the old unit Im trying to salvage some recorded programmes from the old drive and whilst searching for help on that I found this thread. Not feeling so super impressed any more.

| Thu 5 Jan 2017 21:19:59 #469 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SliceOfPi

Hi.

I’ve just finished reading all 47 pages of this very informative post as I've a similar HDD problem. I fall into the category of failed recordings (time buffer not working too) where programmes are recorded for anywhere between 0-7 minutes before stopping.

I did have a couple of unexplained reboots this morning too so I deleted and unpaired my Freesat app but I don’t think that was causing my original issue.

To give a bit of background I was getting failed recordings and unsupported file format issues 3 months ago. I tried the suggest fixes such as reset to factory default, format the HDD (which it wasn’t able to several times), disconnect it from all connections for 24 hours, etc.

As my box was 32 months old and having read a few posts on various forums I decided to replace the HDD with the same model to minimise compatibility issues. The fixed seemed to work for the first month but the old faults returned.

I found it hard to believe that I was unlucky to have a second faulty HDD (although not impossible) so hooked it upto my laptop and ran some S.M.A.R.T. software to see if it was faulty.

It came up with error 199 UDMA CRC Error Count.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 19.27.44

The info window suggests that it could be the connection between the HDD and main board. I decided to strip the Humax down as there did seem to be some play on the SATA connector on the main board. When I flipped it over there was some discolouration around the SATA connector.
    IMG_2798 copy

I'm wondering if this is enough to cause the problems. Currently it's struggling to even format the disk and lists that the:
    Available Size is 0.0GB
    Used Size is 0.0GB
    Reserved Size is 0.0GB

Attachments

1. IMG_2798_copy.jpg (96.5 KB, 41 downloads) 7 years old
    2. Screen_Shot_2017-01-09_at_19.27.44.png (49.2 KB, 66 downloads) 7 years old
    | Tue 10 Jan 2017 0:19:58 #470 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.