My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Looks scorched to me but I'm no expert.
    Can you see any damage on the sata cable, evidence of shorting etc.
    I think the set top box uses linux format so it would appear odd to windows, but you should be able to remove the partitions and reformat the new drive under windows to prove it is ok.
    From other posts I understand there are utilities which allow you to access the hard drive, these are:-
    HumaxRW
    Hummy ReadFiles
    HumaxCheck
    I'm sure you will be able to find them on the forum.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 1:04:52 #471 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AndyT - 25 minutes ago  » 
    From other posts I understand there are utilities which allow you to access the hard drive, these are:-
    HumaxRW
    Hummy ReadFiles
    HumaxCheck

Sorry but that is completely wrong. Those are utilities that are specific to the earlier Humax Freeview models 9200T, 9150T and 9300T. They are of absolutely zero use for any other box.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 1:32:27 #472 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

SliceOfPi - 1 hour ago  » 

IMG_2798 copy
    I'm wondering if this is enough to cause the problems. Currently it's struggling to even format the disk

Good photo, U572 looks fried as well as the obvious heat damage. I'd like to think you could copy over what you want to keep, put the original drive back in, screw everything back together again and send it back for a repair (board replacement) ~£27
    If there's been no board revision though I can see the same thing happening again in a few years.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 1:36:25 #473 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

If the true cost of a replacement board is around £27 then I'd just do it. Seems very cheap to me though.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 18:29:23 #474 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SliceOfPi

AndyT - 19 hours ago  » 
    Looks scorched to me but I'm no expert.
    Can you see any damage on the sata cable, evidence of shorting etc.
    I think the set top box uses linux format so it would appear odd to windows, but you should be able to remove the partitions and reformat the new drive under windows to prove it is ok.
    HumaxRW
    Hummy ReadFiles
    HumaxCheck
    I'm sure you will be able to find them on the forum.

Hi. There doesn't seem to be any heat damage to the SATA cable although it does wobbles as though the solder joints are dry. Not sure if this would be enough to cause the problems.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 20:33:13 #475 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SliceOfPi

damian - 18 hours ago  » 

SliceOfPi - 1 hour ago  » 
    IMG_2798 copy
    I'm wondering if this is enough to cause the problems. Currently it's struggling to even format the disk

Good photo, U572 looks fried as well as the obvious heat damage. I'd like to think you could copy over what you want to keep, put the original drive back in, screw everything back together again and send it back for a repair (board replacement) ~£27
    If there's been no board revision though I can see the same thing happening again in a few years.

If I can get a new CPU board for £27 that would be great! Is there a official route to get hold of one?

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 20:34:50 #476 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SliceOfPi - 53 minutes ago  » 
    If I can get a new CPU board for £27 that would be great! Is there a official route to get hold of one?

You get a repair to your circuit board for a specific problem. Ring up Humax support.

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 21:29:59 #477 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

john664

AndyT - 22 hours ago  » 
    From other posts I understand there are utilities which allow you to access the hard drive

When the boxes were launched you couldn't read files from the disk, however you now can using bog standard linux tools.

http://www.burningimage.net/humaxusb/

| Tue 10 Jan 2017 23:18:32 #478 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Just an update so to speak.
    I've repaired 3 humax boxes so far with no problems, 9300T, 9200T and Foxsat HD for around £20 each.
    If your box is broken and can't be repaired cheap there are plenty of these on fleabay etc in working order for peanuts sometimes.
    If they fail they are really cheap to repair, Hard Drive for example is the most expensive and only £30ish.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 19:04:33 #479 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SliceOfPi

AndyT - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Just an update so to speak.
    I've repaired 3 humax boxes so far with no problems, 9300T, 9200T and Foxsat HD for around £20 each.
    If your box is broken and can't be repaired cheap there are plenty of these on fleabay etc in working order for peanuts sometimes.
    If they fail they are really cheap to repair, Hard Drive for example is the most expensive and only £30ish.

Cheers Andy.
    I rang Customer Services and they said it would cost over £120 to fix but as the warranty seal is broken there is nothing they can do. Think I'll go down the ebay route.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 19:50:21 #480 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.