My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

HDD failed?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrisn

Our Foxsat HDR macjine is working in that channels are available and can be changed and the EPG is available - all normal.

However SWMBO switched on this am to receive a 'HDD not accessible' (or words to that effect). Re-booting took a very long time, and at the Diagnostics page the HDD option is greyed out.

I removed said drive and hooked up to desktop PC but the Humax drive does not show, although it is spinning ok so at least getting power.

There have been no signs of failure - worked one night, failed next morning. Is the drive utterly dead, or is there something else I have missed?

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 13:31:25 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The drive is formatted EXT3 (linux) so won't be recognised in Windows Explorer unless you install a seperate driver like EXT2FS. Drive management should recognise if there is a working disk connected. It might be worth simply re-connecting the drive, sometimes just disconnecting and re-connecting the drive data plug can clean the contacts and restore operation. EX2FS will let you copy your recordings to a PC to then copy them back to a new HDD if you need a new one.

Welcome to our forum.

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 15:05:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrisn

Thank you for that explanation - I shall try the re-connection first

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 20:02:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrisn

Well re-connection did not work, so removed the drive again and this time removed the screws retaining the pcb to look for any burning etc. I was surprised that the PCB board contacts are made SIM style by pressure only, so cleaned these just in case, but still no joy.

Downloaded EXT2FS and still nothing, so turned the HDD over to my IT bud at work, who is a lot more skilled, and he has confirmed no response.

So that's a pain, but hopefully the rest of the box is ok. Looking out there I don't see a direct replacement drive for the Seagate ST31004242CS, so I would greatly appreciate a recommended alternative?

| Fri 8 Apr 2016 20:45:00 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.