My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

HDMI Extender over Ethernet Dolby 5.1 capable

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnWilkinson

Hi.

Has anyone got any experience or recommendations for baluns that will pass through Dolby 5.1 to Aura via the splitter loop?

I fitted Cat 6 Ethernet cable a few weeks ago and bought a couple of baluns so I could watch tv in kitchen at same time as lounge when my wife and I are in different rooms.

The ones I have work really well but it means I’m restricted to stereo only on the main tv in the lounge.

The lounge has Dolby Atmos amp and the kitchen feed goes into a 5.1 capable soundbar.

Thanks

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 13:59:10 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnWilkinson - 16 mins ago  » 
    Hi.
    Has anyone got any experience or recommendations for baluns that will pass through Dolby 5.1 to Aura via the splitter loop?
    I fitted Cat 6 Ethernet cable a few weeks ago and bought a couple of baluns so I could watch tv in kitchen at same time as lounge when my wife and I are in different rooms.
    The ones I have work really well but it means I’m restricted to stereo only on the main tv in the lounge.
    The lounge has Dolby Atmos amp and the kitchen feed goes into a 5.1 capable soundbar.
    Thanks

The problem is the Kitchen TV is telling your AVR during the video handshake, it can only handle PCM stereo even though your amp is going to handle the audio.

I have a similar issue with Denon AVR 3 zone output. If I want 5.1/atmos in the lounge I have to use a different input on the AVR switched to the Kitchen.

Having a Freesat box also connected and send the same live content to the kitchen TV from the Freesat box and the aura to the lounge only. You might be able to fix it by splitting the HDMI at the kitchen end and use a edid switchable splitter.

Try a splitter at the Kitchen End with EDID switching.

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 14:27:05 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What inputs does the kitchen soundbar have ?

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 15:49:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnWilkinson

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the reply
    I know the problem you mean with the kitchen tv as I had no end of bother stopping my 4K Apple TV defaulting to the lowest common denominator last year.
    I did solve that by using an actual hdmi cable from lounge amp to kitchen into a hdmi switch, then into kitchen sound bar and finally into tv, all by hdmi. The switch has a power on/off so by powering off the switch it broke the link to the kitchen and we can watch 4K/Dolby Atmos in the lounge (when not using kitchen tv).

The soundbar in the kitchen is Dolby 5.1 capable and uses hdmi in and hdmi out (does have optical too).

I’ve run a separate cat6 cable that I’m using just for the Aura. I was hoping, given that the amp and the kitchen are both 5.1 capable, that a higher spec balun will allow 5.1 in lounge and kitchen at same time.

I use Harmony Remotes in both rooms and have every activity programmed to single button press so my complicated setup isn’t an issue.

Sorry, realise this is very long winded.

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 16:04:17 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My amp has a workaround that provides a 5.1 speaker outputs using a DTS-Neural- X encoder from a stereo PCM source. It's not as good as proper 5.1.

This article might cast some light on the issue.

https://sewelldirect.com/blogs/learning-center/managing-edid-and-hdcp-in-hdmi.

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 17:30:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnWilkinson

Thanks again Graham.

I’ve taken a chance on these

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-HDBaseT-Two-way-Uncompressed-HDCP2-2-4K60Hz-420-4KEX70-L/dp/B01N5BWOAZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=4k+hdmi+extender&qid=1619633640&sr=8-3

If they don’t work I’ll go with the pseudo 5.1 on the amp as you suggest

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 19:16:39 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnWilkinson - 5 mins ago  » 
    Thanks again Graham.
    I’ve taken a chance on these
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-HDBaseT-Two-way-Uncompressed-HDCP2-2-4K60Hz-420-4KEX70-L/dp/B01N5BWOAZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=4k+hdmi+extender&qid=1619633640&sr=8-3
    If they don’t work I’ll go with the pseudo 5.1 on the amp as you suggest

Please post how you get on with these. I tried something similar before I had a 4K AVR and TV.

A while ago following a thread from a poster having similar issues with a Sky-Q box found a device which was imported from the US. I forget what it was though

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 19:24:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnWilkinson

Will do.

I only found out about baluns because you wrote about them on this forum previously.

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 19:28:19 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnWilkinson - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham.
    Thanks for the reply
    I know the problem you mean with the kitchen tv as I had no end of bother stopping my 4K Apple TV defaulting to the lowest common denominator last year.
    I did solve that by using an actual hdmi cable from lounge amp to kitchen into a hdmi switch, then into kitchen sound bar and finally into tv, all by hdmi. The switch has a power on/off so by powering off the switch it broke the link to the kitchen and we can watch 4K/Dolby Atmos in the lounge (when not using kitchen tv).
    The soundbar in the kitchen is Dolby 5.1 capable and uses hdmi in and hdmi out (does have optical too).
    I’ve run a separate cat6 cable that I’m using just for the Aura. I was hoping, given that the amp and the kitchen are both 5.1 capable, that a higher spec balun will allow 5.1 in lounge and kitchen at same time.
    I use Harmony Remotes in both rooms and have every activity programmed to single button press so my complicated setup isn’t an issue.
    Sorry, realise this is very long winded.

Have you still got the HDMI cable ? Have you got a spare HDMI input on your AVR ?

I don't think the balun spec is the issue. If you had a 4K Kitchen TV then it would allow 4K viewing in both locations the remote TV would still need 5.1 capability.

Eg. If I had two LG C9 OlED's and a large enough kitchen and a bottomless wallet (if only).

Then the upgraded baluns should do the job. (The LG-C9 has Atmos and 5.1 decoding built in.

Have you considered a HDMI audio extractor with video passthrough and toslink output at the the kitchen end. Leaving the TV to handle the video and the soundbar to handle the audio. That would leave the lounge TV to upscale to 4K from 1080p to 4K as usual (The handshake will reduce the video to 1080p for both).

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 21:13:06 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.