My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000s and Netflix

(32 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Why are they being sued in France?
    France Netflix is currently showing St.Vincent which isn't out in cinemas over here until December.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 18:51:21 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Failing to respect French consumer law.

http://advanced-television.com/2014/11/24/french-consumer-body-sues-netflix/

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 19:00:15 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Gonzo - Article S.V.P.
    JamesB - such a lot of crap here - hopefully the gov't will take a stand (Some hope anyway). Love where I live - no better place, locals so friendly.

France is European - and such has European offerings complying with European contact law? Don't know myself.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 19:42:51 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I must be having a blond day. Not sure who you hope the govt will take a stand against, the plaintiff or the defendant?

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 19:52:32 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 1 minute ago  » 
    I must be having a blond day. Not sure who you hope the govt will take a stand against, the plaintiff or the defendant?

In my option the Gov't might discuss it but will do nothing (as usual). The administration, I would question their competence, However I would say they are easy to contact and get responses by email - all depts. Have been pleased with results.

Example: Revenue - Taxes - Please provide the following documents: copy of Court order and proof of payment. Response please find PDF attached. - Ack - received, forwarded to officer. End. - En.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 20:02:32 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I'm definitely having a blond day.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 20:21:02 #16 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 11 hours ago  » 
    I'm definitely having a blond day.

The case against Netflix is brought by the French Consumers Association. It charges them with illegal consumer contact terms.

Netflix reserves at any time the right to modify unilaterally its terms without informing its customers.
    Netflix might, without informing its customers, add a commitment period.

"Netflix disclaims any liability or guarantee for the video quality on your screen".
    For any problem of this type, Netflix returns clients to the TV manufacturer or ISP distributor

Some clauses are only written in English and therefore incomprehensible for the non-bilingue consumer.

C.A. comments in Italics.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 7:32:28 #17 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

"Netflix disclaims any liability or guarantee for the video quality on your screen".
    For any problem of this type, Netflix returns clients to the TV manufacturer or ISP distributor.

The fact that a lot of the content and the T&C's are in English I can understand, but not sure how they expect Netflix to take responsibility for the video quality one may receive considering the quality received by the user all depends on what bandwidth your ISP provides to your home.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 9:03:47 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Repassac - sorry, what I was confused about, and am still unclear about, is whether you think the consumer group's suit is justified, and hope the govt will do something about the Netflix contract. Or whether you think the suit is unjustified, and hope the govt will support Netflix.

Not living in France, I don't have a view either way as it doesn't affect me, but I'd be interested to know if the suit is backed or opposed by the viewing public.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 11:10:22 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

-gonzo- - 2 hours ago  » 
    For any problem of this type, Netflix returns clients to the TV manufacturer or ISP distributor.
    The fact that a lot of the content and the T&C's are in English I can understand, but not sure how they expect Netflix to take responsibility for the video quality one may receive considering the quality received by the user all depends on what bandwidth your ISP provides to your home.

This is the crux of the OTT problem, isn't it? Netflix and Youtube between them are massively dominating bandwidth, and ISP's are left struggling to provide for their customers' other bandwidth requirements. The principle of net neutrality becomes just a way for Netflix and Google to get a cheap ride. All in a state of upheaval as the courts (in the US) scramble to decide how the net should be regulated. I'm not surprised if the French consumer group is worried about Netflix disclaiming any responsibility for quality. It's just Netflix's way of saying, direct to the viewer, hey, don't blame us, blame your ISP.

| Tue 25 Nov 2014 11:23:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.