My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1100s or Foxsat HDR

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gonzini

Hi all
    I thought I'd make use of the dish on the side of the house and get a freesat box.
    I liked the idea of the HDR-1100s but having heard about all the issues people have been having I'm not sure if its such a good idea.
    Would i be better off picking up the older Foxsat HDR and install the hacked firmware for the extra functionality?
    I use a H2000T so something close to that in function wise would be good, like backing up recordings etc.
    Cheers

| Mon 4 Sep 2017 22:35:53 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum.

Depends on your priorities

The newer boxes offer a full range of On Demand services including a few subscription ones (eg Netflix). They also have the backwards epg for catch up and the latest software gives you watch from the beginning on BBC channels when the programme has already started.

The picture quality of the newer ones is superior especially on HD channels compared to the Foxsat. (The Foxsat is a bit soft)

The newer boxes have a DLNA client and USB media playback for most common containers (eg .mp4). They don't however have any way of viewing local recorded/streamed content remotely using a home network. Basically to view remotely you need a wired solution.

The Foxsat has no DLNA client and playback of non native content requires the creation of sidecar support files (Raydons AV2HDR will create these from suitable content). The custom firmware adds a DLNA server to the Foxsat. As a result you can view Foxsat recordings using a G2 box but not vice versa. Interestingly HD content viewed this way clearly shows the picture improvement from the video processing on the newer boxes.

Other than direct recording in SD using the box analogue outputs there is no way of saving your recordings.

The Foxsat even without the CF can copy content to USB and play back from there (HD only on the box that recorded it SD on anything)

The CF adds content access by your home network (Samba and FTP).

The Foxsat is able to record non freesat channels, the G2 boxes are view only for such content.

UI can be a bit slow on the Foxsat (there are ways of significantly speeding it up - eg to view the epg avoid pressing guide and use Schedule then Red)

| Tue 5 Sep 2017 10:11:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gonzini

Hi Graham
    Thanks for the reply.
    I guess the older Foxsat will lack some of the features, that's understandable.
    Although i have DLNA NAS drives on the network which i use for media streaming, i don't to date stream from the H2000T to any other devices so wouldn't miss that. Being able to back up recordings would be a bonus but seeing how i can do that with the H2000T I've got a way around that.
    The other catchup services might be useful, but i only use iplayer occasionally. I'm not a huge TV watcher but more likely to record stuff to watch later.
    I was more concerned about the longer term reliability of the HDR-1100s, reading about the hard drives failing and worse still with the hardware itself which writes it off. I'm left with the impression having read a number of posts that Humax have let the standards drop with these later units.
    I was going to look S/H as didn't want to spend the retail price they go for, just wanted to make use of the dish and free up the H2000T as the hard drives always filling up. If the thing does fail and beyond repair i wouldn't of lost so much.
    I read the Panasonic units seem good as another option but not looked into those yet.
    Cheers

| Tue 5 Sep 2017 22:00:21 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

nevans

Gonzini - 1 day ago  » 
    I liked the idea of the HDR-1100s but having heard about all the issues people have been having I'm not sure if its such a good idea.

I bought two 1100s 18 months ago, one for me, and the other for a 'non technical' friend. Both have been faultless, and mine has been paired with the freesat app for the whole time.

The big difference for me (from the Foxsat HDR) is the ability to delete multiple programmes at the same time, and not have to wait for each to complete deletetion.

Just my 10 cents

| Wed 6 Sep 2017 9:06:15 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nevans - 8 minutes ago  » 

Gonzini - 1 day ago  » 

I bought two 1100s 18 months ago, one for me, and the other for a 'non technical' friend. Both have been faultless, and mine has been paired with the freesat app for the whole time.
    The big difference for me (from the Foxsat HDR) is the ability to delete multiple programmes at the same time, and not have to wait for each to complete deletetion.
    Just my 10 cents

You have always been able to delete multiple programmes at the same time using File Manager's Edit Mode on a Foxsat-HDR. Adding the Custom Firmware makes it even easier you can do it on a PC using Windows Explorer.

| Wed 6 Sep 2017 9:17:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gonzini

Hi guys
    I took a gamble on a S/H 1100s, it turned up yesterday.
    Added bonus that its the 1TB version, i was expecting the 500GB.
    Just plugged it in and connected to WiFi, i will factory reset over the weekend.
    Pretty impressed so far, i can see what your saying with the HD quality with these over the earlier units.
    I have a H2000T and comparing BBC2 HD between them the 1100s definitely a better picture with contrast and detail. Like mentioned with the HDR Foxsat the picture is soft by comparison with the H2000T which i guess is of a similar age / hardware.

Only problem so far is the remotes as both units share some of the same control codes.
    I'm still going to use to the H2000T, is there a way to get around that problem. Can't say I've seen any options so far, other than covering up the IR sensor on the unit you want to block.
    Maybe that is the answer?!
    Only other immediate way i thought of was to use the Humax remote app for the H2000T on the tablet.
    Don't think the 1100s is supported with that.
    Anyway see how we go with stability and hardware issues....
    Cheers

| Thu 14 Sep 2017 11:25:30 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Gonzini - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Hi guys
    I took a gamble on a S/H 1100s, it turned up yesterday.
    Added bonus that its the 1TB version, i was expecting the 500GB.
    Just plugged it in and connected to WiFi, i will factory reset over the weekend.
    Pretty impressed so far, i can see what your saying with the HD quality with these over the earlier units.
    I have a H2000T and comparing BBC2 HD between them the 1100s definitely a better picture with contrast and detail. Like mentioned with the HDR Foxsat the picture is soft by comparison with the H2000T which i guess is of a similar age / hardware.
    Only problem so far is the remotes as both units share some of the same control codes.
    I'm still going to use to the H2000T, is there a way to get around that problem. Can't say I've seen any options so far, other than covering up the IR sensor on the unit you want to block.
    Maybe that is the answer?!
    Only other immediate way i thought of was to use the Humax remote app for the H2000T on the tablet.
    Don't think the 1100s is supported with that.
    Anyway see how we go with stability and hardware issues....
    Cheers

No problem with the remotes. The faq's are your friend

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/multi-code-function-hdhdr-remote-2

The Freesat remote scheduling app (unpaired) can control the 1100S

| Thu 14 Sep 2017 11:37:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gonzini

Wow! I never knew you could that. Problem fixed

Will have to have a look at the available apps again, I didn't see the 1100 listed in the supported devices on the version I have.
    But maybe I should look again...

That's great with the remotes, thanks!

Oh... I've got the old panasonic dvd recorder connected up with the composite video out which records fine.
    I tried the timer power up and turn off function on the 1100 which works but it defaulted to the home screen which wouldn't be great to record on the dvd. I also set the Humax to record the same program just in case things went wrong. It seemed to go full screen when the Humax started recording but wondered if there's a setting to default to full screen when the Humax power on timer is set?
    Cheers

| Thu 14 Sep 2017 19:47:35 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Gonzini - 2 hours ago  » 
    Wow! I never knew you could that. Problem fixed
    Will have to have a look at the available apps again, I didn't see the 1100 listed in the supported devices on the version I have.
    But maybe I should look again...
    That's great with the remotes, thanks!
    Oh... I've got the old panasonic dvd recorder connected up with the composite video out which records fine.
    I tried the timer power up and turn off function on the 1100 which works but it defaulted to the home screen which wouldn't be great to record on the dvd. I also set the Humax to record the same program just in case things went wrong. It seemed to go full screen when the Humax started recording but wondered if there's a setting to default to full screen when the Humax power on timer is set?
    Cheers

Sorry Freesat insist on booting to the home screen for reasons frankly I have never understood. It's a pain to me as well as sometimes viewing on a kichen TV with no extra remote available. I have to pop back into the lounge to press exit.

It wasn't always that way.

| Thu 14 Sep 2017 21:56:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gonzini

I see, wasn't sure if it timed out or it was the recording starting that made it go full screen.
    Anyway it seems to work that way so ok for transfering stuff that the H2000T dosen't get.
    Had the first lockup with it tonight, playing back an mp4 from a NAS drive, bombed out after 20mins and jumped to the next file. Picture froze, then audio dropped back to the tuner. Managed to turn it off on the remote and on powering up again seemed to boot up differently but been working since.
    See how it goes...

| Thu 14 Sep 2017 23:06:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.