My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

How do I delete (not hide) an 800 channel?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I receive from Mendip but I have somehow also picked up BBC1 and BBC2 Wales from Wenvoe as 800 and 801. I can only think the signal was particularly strong when I was scanning - normally the signal is too weak.

No problem I thought - just hide them.

But, when I tried to set a recording on BBC, I was told the recording was already set on BBC1 Wales where, of course, the signal it too weak to record.

How do I completely remove (not just hide) these 800 channels? Is a factory reset the only option?

| Sat 17 Feb 2024 14:22:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

When you receive signals from two or more transmitters you will get duplicate channels and the Aura puts thenm in the 800's.

You could go into Settings and then Channel & Broadcast> Edit Channel List.
    Or set up Favourites to include the Channels you prefer to watch.

Otherwise doing a manual tune to the transmitter you get the best reception from is the best alternative.

To make sure you are tuned in to the nearest transmitter or the best with line of sight to your aerial you can perform manual search using the multiplex numbers for that transmitter only.

To find out which transmitters are broadcasting in your area click on the link below and enter your postcode and house number.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information

On the next page you will see a table titled Digital Transmitters.
    This shows you the transmitters broadcasting in your area with the 'most likely' on top.
    If you have good line of sight to that ‘most likely’ transmitter then use that one or if not select one of the others which you have line of sight to.
    Once you have selected which transmitter you want to tune to make a note of the multiplex (mux) numbers the transmitter is broadcasting on.
    The mux numbers are under the white N in the black circle.
    Pay special attention to the mux number under BBC B, this is the mux that carries all the HD channels/ programmes.
    Now you have noted the mux numbers and the HD mux number you are ready to manually tune your Humax.

First take the aerial out of the Humax. Go to Auto Channel Search and start the search, this will clear the Humax ready for the manual tune.

Once that has done insert the aerial.
    Go to Manual Search.
    Tune the SD (standard definition) channels. first.
    Enter the first of the mux numbers, make sure Transmission is set to DVB-T.
    Press Search.
    When done press Save.
    Do this for all the SD muxes.
    For the HD channels enter the BBC B mux number but change Transmission to DVB-T2.
    Press Search and when done press Save.
    You should now be tuned to only one transmitter with no duplicate channels in the 800's.

| Sat 17 Feb 2024 14:31:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Thank you for your reply.

I tried all that but it didn't remove the 800 channels - they were hidden but still there. When I un-hid them they appeared in the EPG.

Strangely, the Wenvoe BBC channels should be on the Channel 41 multiplex but they were showing in the signal strength screen as being on Channel 32, which is the Mendip BBC multiplex. Retuning C32 and C41 did not remove the 800 channels.

I eventually decided to do a Factory Reset fully expecting to keep all my recordings. Unfortunately it deleted all but five recordings although the Storage used indicator still showed 70%. I have no idea why the other recordings were deleted or why just five were left.

As there was obviously something funny and as I had lost all my recordings I reformatted the disk and started from scratch by manually tuning the Mendip multiplexes.

I am pretty sure that previous Humax PVRs deleted unwanted channels. The Aura seems to keep them and hide them. This is good news if you get a programming conflict as they are available as alternatives even though you cannot see them in the EPG. However it seems they didn't think of this glitch where someone might need to completely delete and not just hide a programme.

| Sat 17 Feb 2024 18:22:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

did you take the aerial cable out, perform the auto tune to clear the channel list before performing the manual search?
    a factory reset should not remove recordings previously made the settings menu clearly states the.
    I have performed a factory reset on the aura and my recordings were saved

| Sat 17 Feb 2024 19:04:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I did take the aerial out when I scanned but that does not delete existing channels - it only prevents new channels being added.

I know a Factory reset should leave the recordings but it deleted all bar five of mine!!

| Mon 19 Feb 2024 12:58:10 #5 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

JohnH77 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I did take the aerial out when I scanned but that does not delete existing channels - it only prevents new channels being added.
    I know a Factory reset should leave the recordings but it deleted all bar five of mine!!

You are absolutely correct, it is a myth that has been propagated on the internet for many years. Removing the aerial does appear to delete old channels on some machines but what is really happening is the Auto Tune software is deleting old channels before the new scan is started.

| Mon 19 Feb 2024 14:49:46 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

My faithful old Dizzy handles this in a much better, more flexible manner providing channel delete functionality and allowing for favourites lists of channels which effectively hide those you don't want to see all the time but are still there just in case. Plus allowing manual tuning by MUX so none of this plugging and unplugging the aerial to avoid frequencies you do not want to be scanned for MUXes.

| Mon 19 Feb 2024 16:03:26 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.