My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

How to view manually-tuned programmes?

(15 posts)
  1. patpending

patpending

I have bought the Foxsat HDR

I have a 2 LNB setup. The channels I like best are the German ones on 19.2°E but I also have 28.2°E for stuff that is not on Freeview from time to time (e.g. ITV4+1).

I am not interested in HD and not really interested in the standard British channels.

I have found your guide on how to scan my Astra 1 feed for German channels (how COULD it be so hard? ), scanned them and saved them.

http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/DiSEqC

I STILL cannot see any of the German programmes in the list!

How can I see them?

| Sat 13 Jul 2013 21:46:10 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The Foxsat is designed as a freesat unit and not as generic FTA sat unit. It does however support the use for non-freesat channels at a basic level. To see what you have tuned you need to change one thing in setup - STB mode - it needs to be set to non-freesat.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 6:20:25 #2 |
  3. patpending

patpending

REPASSAC - 33 minutes ago  » 
    The Foxsat is designed as a freesat unit and not as generic FTA sat unit. It does however support the use for non-freesat channels at a basic level. To see what you have tuned you need to change one thing in setup - STB mode - it needs to be set to non-freesat.

Thank you. I see that in "non-freesat" mode it is picking up English-language channels, apparently from 19.2°E, in a list starting 5xxx, but not showing me ARD, ZDF etc. How do I see these?

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 6:57:08 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Have you set up diseqc on the Foxsat ?

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 12:48:16 #4 |
  5. patpending

patpending

grahamlthompson - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Have you set up diseqc on the Foxsat ?

Yes, it was having found that link above that brought me here.

Although the menus are not quite the same on my box, I went through the procedure with the hidden menu and watched the box list the channels from 19.2°E as it found them during the scan, including the ones I want to watch. However, although by switching STB mode to "Non-Freesat" the red box at the top of my channel list says "Astra 1 19.2°E" and all the channels have a reference number 5xxx (xxx for 28.2°E Freesat), the only channels I can see in the list are British ones like Channel 4.

I have a feeling I need to break out of a list of pre-defined channels somewhere, but I can't see where...

EDIT I think when I did the setup I was puzzling over the screens too much. There it suggests that 19.2 should be set up as D but trial and error tells me that's wrong. 28.2 had set itself to B so by elimination on mine 19.2 was A!

Thanks for your help. I believe the "PVR" is a sort of inbuilt disc that acts like a videotape and can tape programmes. That will be jolly fun. Still, one thing at a time.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 13:22:06 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

patpending - 6 hours ago  » 

REPASSAC - 33 minutes ago  » 

Thank you. I see that in "non-freesat" mode it is picking up English-language channels, apparently from 19.2°E, in a list starting 5xxx, but not showing me ARD, ZDF etc. How do I see these?

They should be there but don't expect them to show the channel name. They will be somewhere in the 5000 range.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 13:24:48 #6 |
  7. patpending

patpending

They should be there but don't expect them to show the channel name. They will be somewhere in the 5000 range.

Found them, see above! Now to set favourites. I want channel 5133 to be 1 and 5134 to be 3!

I was starting to think with all this "freesat" business that I had bought a box that didn't support ordinary channels! Phew!

EDIT it appears you can't set "favourites" for non-28.2°E and that you cannot mix 28.2°E with 19.2°E in a single list. This means you have to re-arrange the main list, though so far channel 1 is 5001, how annoying if I always have to type that just to get Channel 1.
    You can find where channels are and see them through "LIST" but you have to go to the completely separate "MENU - EDIT CHANNEL LIST" to move them, which is a bit of a pain so far...

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 14:20:50 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If I remember correctly non-freesat channel numbering starts at 5000 so you would have to use 5001 and 5003. You cal allocate whatever lcn you want to non-freesat channels. The box simply numbers them in the order it finds them.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 15:06:59 #8 |
  9. patpending

patpending

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 
    If I remember correctly non-freesat channel numbering starts at 5000 so you would have to use 5001 and 5003.

Thanks, I've just found that, how user-unfriendly!

I've tried taping a programme on the inbuilt disk and the quality was marvellous.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 15:10:48 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

patpending - 58 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 
    If I remember correctly non-freesat channel numbering starts at 5000 so you would have to use 5001 and 5003.

Thanks, I've just found that, how user-unfriendly!
    I've tried taping a programme on the inbuilt disk and the quality was marvellous.

Non-freesat mode turns your box into a generic free to air box. Like all such devices they aren't user friendly to non-enthusiasts. The friendly channel numbers come by virtue of the Freesat epg, the actual free to air channels don't have a logical channel number (lcn).
    If you install the Custom Firmware add on, you can watch non-freesat (and set manual recording timers) without leaving Freesat mode, amongst a whole host of other cool goodies

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 16:11:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.