My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

chriss

Hi, I'm new here. I've had the Foxsat box for 10 years and have been so pleased with it. I now have a new smart tv - LG 43UM7500PLA - and I'm still setting it up and trying to understand it all. I'm getting conflicting advice as to whether I need to keep the foxsat box or not as the new tv does record programmes. What is your advice?
    Ps. I have tried to connect the foxsat to the smart tv but not succeeded. I'd be grateful if any answers could be in easy to understand format as you can probably tell, I'm no techie!

| Thu 23 Jan 2020 13:07:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our Forum

I have a Foxsat-HDR connected to a 2019 LG 4K TV with no problem. TV's do not make good recorders as generally you can only record the channel you are watching.

Go into Home bargains and buy a new HDMI lead marked high speed. In Home bargains they are marked as 4K capable (about £5:00). Avoid using HDMI 1 in as this port has ARC (audio return channel). Try the other ports on the TV. My Foxsat is connected to HDMI3 on my 4K LG OLED.

In the TV setup menus turn off HDMI control. Manually select the HDMI port you have connected the Foxsat to.

| Thu 23 Jan 2020 13:17:23 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

I have a LG 43UK6300PLB. There is a great advantage of sticking a HDD into the LG. You get instant replay and pause live TV with absolutely no problem or fannying around. Just press the pause button and it just works.(My Samsung is a pain in the butt for both of those)
    I am just checking if it will record a scheduled programme when it's switched to standby. And the answer is? NO.

My advice for what it's worth if you want a decent recorder with good flexibility is the KEEP THE FOXSAT. You will PDQ get hacked off trying to record sensibly on the TV.

| Thu 23 Jan 2020 15:39:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

chriss

Thanks for your replies. I will keep the foxsat then and try to connect it again. I'LL also look into getting a high speed HDMI lead.

| Thu 23 Jan 2020 15:51:46 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

chriss - 5 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for your replies. I will keep the foxsat then and try to connect it again. I'LL also look into getting a high speed HDMI lead.

Make sure your Foxsat is setup to output 1080i. Anything else will cause double scaling which will cause image degredation during each operation. (1080i is the source format for HD channels).

Avoid SD channels for live TV and recordings. scaling a 720 x 576 SD source to 2160p is going to look horrible on a 4K TV. Even a HD source has to quadruple the source pixels to fit the TV.

Consider a 4K firestick. Iplayer and youtube has free 4K content. Netflix and Prime has good paid for 4K content.

| Thu 23 Jan 2020 21:50:23 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

Back to your opening post. You said that you had tried to connect it. How did you 'try' that? What leads etc? Why did it fail?

As long as you sit at a reasonable distance from the TV, SD pictures are perfectly acceptable when up-scaled to a 4k screen (but HD does look better). If you have a Huge TV (which you don't) or sit too close . I've just had a look at my 4k 43" LG from 2 feet and switched between HD and SD. Yes the SD is softer and has artefacts, but it is perfectly watchable and doesn't look horrible unless you are a perfectionist.

@GLT I think the OP's TV has what you mentioned in your last sentence without a Firestick (and correctly displays 4k HLG).

| Fri 24 Jan 2020 12:07:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

chriss

Thanks for your help with this. I got a tv man in and he has sorted me out. I'm getting terrestrial tv through Foxsat (as before with my old TV set up) so it's all fine and familiar. But it does mean I'm using 2 remote controls, the humax one to watch and record 'ordinary' tv and the magic controller for everything else digital. I'm happy with this set up as it's easy to understand and it's all working perfectly- picture, sound etc.

| Tue 4 Feb 2020 10:22:40 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.