My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax HDR 1000s Not recognising hard drive

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gouryella101

New to this forum, so please be patient.
    I have a HD1000s.500GB
    On powering up my machine, it went into a format sequence.
    I have not managed to get my drive back after this.
    It would appear it didn't format properly and has just decided not to recognise the drive.
    I have tried fitting another hard drive but it does not want to recognise this either?
    The hard drive came out of an external 1tb drive.
    Would the human recognise it or do i have to put some software on it?
    The 1tb drive works fine on my laptop?
    Humax just told me to buy another machine?
    Great help they were
    Any help much appreciated

| Sat 25 Feb 2017 12:18:32 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Seems like you have fallen foul of the failed resistor on the motherboard. Read this thread from this post onwards.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/not-recording-no-hard-drive-hdr-1000s500gb/page/2#post-52816

| Sat 25 Feb 2017 12:27:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gouryella101

Thanks for your prompt response there.
    I will send them an email now and give them am a call on Monday.
    Thats a good price for a repair if it lasts.
    Thanks and I will report back my findings.
    Rich

| Sat 25 Feb 2017 12:54:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

GBUK7

Good luck with contacting humax , i have same probs' and so far all they have offered is a refurb' at £130 . For the time being i am using the twin tuners on my Samsung tv, there is an option to add a hdd which i may well look into, i can then Pause/ Record TV which will be fantastic.

| Sat 25 Feb 2017 20:30:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

T Bouchet

I HAVE A FIX FOR HARD DRIVE NOT BEING RECOGNISED .open the case disconnect all the cables except the hdmi and power. with a heat gun heat the heatsink until the screen feed by the hdmi goes black this resets the hard drive overload in the humax chip keep the humax switched on the screen will come back as the chip cools and with it the hard drive good luck

| Sat 1 Oct 2022 19:00:06 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

roquefort

T Bouchet - 3 days ago  » 
    I HAVE A FIX FOR HARD DRIVE NOT BEING RECOGNISED .open the case disconnect all the cables except the hdmi and power. with a heat gun heat the heatsink until the screen feed by the hdmi goes black this resets the hard drive overload in the humax chip keep the humax switched on the screen will come back as the chip cools and with it the hard drive good luck

Wow, I've had my 1010s in the loft for years waiting for a fix. I've just tried this and it worked!
    Unfortunately I've lost the proper power supply whilst in storage

Many thanks

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 14:16:49 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

T Bouchet

Glad it worked for your humax also update the software latest is UKSFAA 3.01.01 .

| Mon 10 Oct 2022 17:53:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

TerrySparker

T Bouchet
    Thank you so much for posting the fix for the HDR 1010S HDD not recognised.
    Like a lot of others on this site mine stopped working in 2016 after about 3 years of use, since then the HDD has been supporting a ZGemmaH2S and the PSU my media computer.
    After reading about your fix, I reassembled my old Humax and did the fix. Amazing the HDR 1010S SATA interface sprang into life at 85 C. I have been in the electronics design for over 40 years and have never encountered such a fix, well done! Just in case it is temperature related I have connected the fan to the HDD supply (No sign of it ever been ON). Thanks again for the posting.

| Thu 24 Nov 2022 17:32:31 #8 |
  9. ChrisT

ChrisT

T Bouchet - 1 mnth ago  » 

Just to clarify, I heat the area outlined in pink? I assume it only takes 1-2mins before the screen feed goes blank?

Attachments

1. 1.jpg (202.5 KB, 15 downloads) 1 year old
    | Mon 28 Nov 2022 14:36:20 #9 |
  10. ChrisT

ChrisT

T Bouchet - 2 mnths ago  » 
    I HAVE A FIX FOR HARD DRIVE NOT BEING RECOGNISED

You are a genius - thank you for sharing a solution that actually worked!

After 2 attempts my box has started recording again and all my old recordings from 2019 are now accessible.

Here is a summary of my 2 attempts. In both situations I had the heat gun set to 'Low' (300°C in my case) and fitted with a medium reduction nozzle. I held the gun about 5 inches away, directly above, pointing down at the heat sink chip area. When switched on I made a very slight circular motion with the flow.

With my first attempt I was overly cautious, mainly due to my lack of experience using a heat gun. I started heating the heat sink chip area but after about 15 seconds nothing had happened, I turned off the gun to inspect the area. Moments later, without any further heat, the box cut out and restarted. Once the system reloaded a brief message appeared saying the HDD needs to be formatted but when checking the Recordings section and Storage section in Settings nothing had changed; no recordings or hard drive were visible. I restarted the box but still no difference so I decided to give it a few minutes and try the heat gun again.

On my second attempt I decided to go for broke and heat the heat sink chip area non-stop until the box cut out. This took about 20-30 seconds. Shortly after cutting out, the Humax Freesat logo flashed on my TV several times and in less than a minute the hard drive fired up and the system started to load. My recordings had been restored!

I tested all the recording features (timer, live pause & rewind, etc) and played back the existing recordings in the library - everything worked. After a few hours some of the channel logos still hadn't populated so I powered down the box for a few minutes and once restarted all the logos were there.

I'm delighted with the result. I'm now curious to see how long this fix will last - I will update if anything changes. Thanks again to T Bouchet !

| Sun 18 Dec 2022 16:33:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.