My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax HDR-1000S/1TB-G - HD failure?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kb109

I bought a Humax HDR-1000S/1TB in 2013 direct from Humax. It has served me well but in the last six months it has now for the fourth time failed. When I switch the Humax ON I see a message that my HD needs formatting before I can record programmes. My previous recordings are no longer there. I have started afresh but this has been repeated for the fourth time. I have read through the forum and arrived at the conclusion I am not alone in this predicament. It appears to be a common fault. My understanding is that the firm Humax no longer exists and if it does it will not entertain any claim. I do not have the expertise to replace the hard drive. In any event others who have and have tried have met with problems. It appears to me unfortunately my Humax is on the way out. I am thinking of replacing it with a Freesat brand UHD-4H Smart 4KUHD Digital TV Recorder-1TB, direct from Freesat. Is my judgement correct or do I have any alernative? I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you and disappointed.

| Sat 15 Oct 2022 17:27:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

kb109

kb109 - 19 hours ago  » 
    I bought a Humax HDR-1000S/1TB in 2013 direct from Humax. It has served me well but in the last six months it has now for the fourth time failed. When I switch the Humax ON I see a message that my HD needs formatting before I can record programmes. My previous recordings are no longer there. I have started afresh but this has been repeated for the fourth time. I have read through the forum and arrived at the conclusion I am not alone in this predicament. It appears to be a common fault. My understanding is that the firm Humax no longer exists and if it does it will not entertain any claim. I do not have the expertise to replace the hard drive. In any event others who have and have tried have met with problems. It appears to me unfortunately my Humax is on the way out. I am thinking of replacing it with a Freesat brand UHD-4H Smart 4KUHD Digital TV Recorder-1TB, direct from Freesat. Is my judgement correct or do I have any alernative? I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you and disappointed.

PS: Addendum 1305hrs 16/10/22: I have looked into DIY replacement HD. There are videos available on YouTube. It appears reasonably straight forward. I have ordered a replacement HD.

| Sun 16 Oct 2022 13:06:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

kb109 - 1 hour ago  » 
    PS: Addendum 1305hrs 16/10/22: I have looked into DIY replacement HD. There are videos available on YouTube. It appears reasonably straight forward. I have ordered a replacement HD.

I think that it is more likely to be a common fault somewhere on the motherboard that prevents communication between the CPU and the hard drive.

| Sun 16 Oct 2022 14:12:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

kb109

Thank you Martin. You may be right but I thought replacing the hard drive was worth a try. I'll report how I went on.

| Sun 16 Oct 2022 15:17:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

kb109

I have now replaced the hard drive on my Humax HDR1000S. It was quite straight forward. I followed the video I found on YouTube. Upon starting up the Humax the HDR immediately recognised the new hard drive and invited me to format it, which I did. I did a test record and playback. For the moment the Humax appears to be working OK. Should it misfunction I shall have to consider a replacement. My TV is a Pioneer 4280XD. Yes, a plasma 720p but still providing a good picture and sound. Would the Freesat 4K Ultra Digital TV Recorder be compatible with my Pioneer? Thank you.

| Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:07:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

kb109 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Upon starting up the Humax the HDR immediately recognised the new hard drive and invited me to format it, which I did. I did a test record and playback. For the moment the Humax appears to be working OK.

Be aware that the hardware fault I described earlier does in its early stages come and go, particularly if the box has been switched off for a while. Let us know how things work out over the next few weeks.

| Tue 18 Oct 2022 11:18:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

kb109

Thank you. Are you or anyone able, please, to comment on my previous question re compatibility of my Pioneer 4280XD 720p plasma TV and the (Arris) 4K Ultra HD Freesat Recorder?

| Tue 18 Oct 2022 11:25:27 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

kb109 - 35 mins ago  » 
    Are you or anyone able, please, to comment on my previous question re compatibility of my Pioneer 4280XD 720p plasma TV and the (Arris) 4K Ultra HD Freesat Recorder?

I didn't answer because I have no experience at all with the Arris box. You really need to find a forum that covers the Arris box. You might try avforums.com.

| Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:04:42 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

kb109

Thank you Martin. I'll try AV forums. In the meantime, should your "hunch" prove correct, can the motherboard be repaired/replaced at a cost effective price. Cheers.

| Tue 18 Oct 2022 17:30:49 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

kb109 - 4 hours ago  » 
    In the meantime, should your "hunch" prove correct, can the motherboard be repaired/replaced at a cost effective price.

Digirepairs https://www.digirepairs.co.uk/product/humax-set-top-box-repair-booking/ offer a fixed price no fix, no fee repair service for £69.95. There have been reports that they have fixed the problem for some people.

| Tue 18 Oct 2022 22:14:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.