My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Intermittent noise from HDR-2000T

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Beej78

Evening all,

We've just got ourselves a 2000T and after updating to the latest firmware (1.01.06), which resolved regular signal cutout issues, we're left with an ever so slight annoyance. The box makes fairly frequent irregular noises that sound like the hard drive being accessed. The noise is quiet - you can only hear it during quiet scenes - but just audible enough to irritate. While there's no real pattern to it, I'd say it happens every 10 seconds or so on average. We previously had a 9300t that didn't noticeably do the same, though that could've been due to it being an overall noisier box.

I'd just like to know if this is something others have experienced and that's just how it is with this model, or if I've got a dodgy box. And any advice on sorting it would also be much appreciated if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

| Mon 22 Dec 2014 20:28:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

not really too sure,

the disk should be spining all the time for chase-play i.e. the 2 hour buffer for pausing and rewinding so no idea as to why it would be spinning up or sound like it every ten seconds or so.

I'd be tempted to switch power saving on or off depending upon what it was set to before to see if it made a difference. If that doesn't help then a factory reset, not formatting, but take a note of the recording schedule, easiest via camera phone. I like a proper power cycle and if that doesn't help a factory reset, not formatting, after any software update as it just gives a clean baseline.

If that doesn't help then tactile measures, does the box vibrate to touch first of all, what happens if you lift it up with your knuckles facing down and the box resting on your fingertips. If you're still getting significant noise then I'd suggest getting it swapped over, if you're not then consider getting a strip of blu-tack, making 4 glass marble sized balls to put under each corner and resting the box on these, you may find that something the box is stacked on or something stacked on the box (in which case try blu-tack on top or both), obviously position different to the 9300T, is causing problems. Transient harmonics springs to mind, no idea why but sounds good; however blu-tack can be really useful in situations like this and doesn't require a technical explanation if it works.

If it's still noisy after this, and if nobody else has any suggestions and if you can't live with it, remember if you can hear it now then it won't get any quieter after your return rights have run out, and it's bugging you then swapping it over would make sense.

| Mon 22 Dec 2014 23:13:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Beej78

Thanks for the reply, damian - I shall give your suggestions a go and if there's no joy send it packing back to John Lewis. Merry xmas to you!

| Tue 23 Dec 2014 13:35:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Galactic

I bought my 2000T 1T/B from Richer Sounds about 3 weeks ago and am having a similar problem.

When recording, the noise is pretty constant - as you said Beej78, it is very quiet but irritating. It makes the same noise in standby when recording. When not recording, the noise is more infrequent but still there when watching a programme. I must admit I'd never noticed it when I wasn't recording, but after reading this thread, I put the TV on mute and then I realised it was there. Changing the power setting as damian suggested didn't change anything unfortunately.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to change it, especially as I have a lot of recordings on there now, and this is actually an exchange for the Panasonic I bought in the first place, but I don't want a faulty product if that is the case.

Did you resolve the issue Beej78?

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 20:06:05 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What electrical devices are near (2m or less?).

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 20:17:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Galactic

There's a small lamp and an electric fire which is switched off.

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 20:22:09 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Beej78

Galactic - 19 minutes ago  » 
    I bought my 2000T 1T/B from Richer Sounds about 3 weeks ago and am having a similar problem.
    When recording, the noise is pretty constant - as you said Beej78, it is very quiet but irritating. It makes the same noise in standby when recording. When not recording, the noise is more infrequent but still there when watching a programme. I must admit I'd never noticed it when I wasn't recording, but after reading this thread, I put the TV on mute and then I realised it was there. Changing the power setting as damian suggested didn't change anything unfortunately.
    I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to change it, especially as I have a lot of recordings on there now, and this is actually an exchange for the Panasonic I bought in the first place, but I don't want a faulty product if that is the case.
    Did you resolve the issue Beej78?

Hi Galactic,

I (shamefully) didn't try all the positioning/balancing/blue tac suggestions, instead just returning it for a replacement. However the new box does exactly the same, so I'm currently of a mind that that's just what this box does. Might break out the blue tac for the hell of it at some point, will update if it makes a difference.

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 20:36:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Galactic

Hi Beej78,

I did try just lifting the box up from the stand and it didn't make any difference, but I might try some of the other suggestions.

Well, in some ways I'm relieved that it's just a quirk of the box - I couldn't face going through the whole exchange thing again. It seems strange that no one else (on here or AV forums) seems to have come across the same problem - maybe we have super sensitive hearing or something Hopefully we won't notice it anymore after a while.

Thanks for letting me know.

| Thu 8 Jan 2015 20:48:27 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The thing is Galatic noise is a very personal thing, what bothers or irritates one person may not have the slightest impact on someone else. I have a Humax 1000s and recently downloaded the app to control the box from my phone. What I didn't realise is the app wakes the box up every 20 minutes bringing it out of standby.

I only ever used to hear the 'wakeup squawk' every once in a while if I turned the box on prior to the TV being switched on. Once I had downloaded the app I was hearing it every 20 minutes throughout the day when the TV was switched off. It started driving me to distraction after a few days and have since disabled the app, so I can sympathise.

I suspect though that what you describe will very quickly sound normal and may no longer bother you after a couple of weeks - fingers crossed.

| Wed 14 Jan 2015 11:49:53 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stewpy

I've just bought an HDR-2000 as well, and noticed the noise immediately.
    It's the mechanism that moves the heads in the hard drive - that's why it's more noticeable when recording.
    In my last PVR(Sony), the hard drive was mounted on rubber anti-vibration mounts. Don't know about the HDR - I'm not opening it up while it's still under warranty!

| Wed 14 Jan 2015 11:57:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.