My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Invalid postcode error, no Freesat scan possible.

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gijs

Dear Forum,
    I am new on this forum and I hope you can help me here. I have a Foxsat HDR and it's not working properly anymore. The issue is that it does not want to accept my the postcode or any other postcode, so it prevents me from doing a Freesat scan. I have seen the November 2014 messages on this subject, but it seems my issue is a bit different.
    What happened was following. In the last weeks I started to loose some HD channels specifically the BBC ones. So ended up doing a factory reset. After this reset no post code was accepted anymore. Manually I managed to get the various channels back but clearly this is without extended EPG "red button" etc. Consequently the usability of this HDR receiver is severely hampered.
    As indicated in the November thread I also manually scanned 11428H 27500A and various channels were found and stored to my channel list. Tried a software update but the receiver tells me after checking that it's not needed. It runs 7.52 as loader and HPRSFCI 1.00.21 as firmware.
    BTW my signal is very good on most channels 100% for bot strength and quality. On 11428 the strength is 100%, but quality is marginally, 50 to 60%.
    Anybody who out there who has a suggestion on how to get the postcode accepted again so I can perform a Freesat scan?
    Thanks in advance!

| Sat 30 May 2015 16:58:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum, by sheer coincidence another poster on Hummy.TV has the identical situation. This prompted me to check the home transponder (mine usually has about 80% quality), it's now down to 60% and it's a zone 2 dish. Pure speculation I wonder if the transponder power output has been turned down as a result of the eldery solar cell power output having fallen below the design minimums.

My box is updating OK though. All I can offer is an attempt to optimise your dish alignment.

I repeat the procedure I posted in the above thread.

You are going to need some help with this.

Bring up the home transponder frequency in manual tune.

Mark the current adjustments for direction and elevation so that if you get in a muddle you can start again.

Access the dish and slacken the nut and bolt that secures the direction in which the dish points (Azimuth). Important make adjustments in tiny tiny steps, the satellites are 22000mls above the equator at longitude 28.2/28.5E a very small adjustments shifts the aiming point a long way. nudge the dish a tiny amount to the East, wait a few seconds for the tuner to respond and check the signal strength and especially quality. Continue till you find the point where the adjustment produces a reduction in quality, nudge it back to the optimum point and carefully lock of the adjustment. Gently flex the dish left and right a tiny amount and confirm the signal is worse.

Now lets tackle the elevation (assuming you now have a usable signal from EB1), flex the dish up slightly, wait for the tuner to respond if the signal gets better the dish elevation needs raising slightly, Flex the dish down a tiny amount if the signal gets better he disg needs slightly lowering. Slacken the elevation nut and bolt and optimise the elevation in the same way as the azimuth

The next step is to adjust the lnb skew (the twist of the lnb from vertical). A compromise is needed here, the Astra satellites use a non standard setting for skew and EB1 is standard. You need to find a reasonable mid position. This adjustment isn't that critical but if the skew is out on the wrong side of the 28.2 setting it will make it very hard for the lnb to distinguish horizontal polarisation and vertical polarisation channels on EB1. You may have noticed EB1 has a vertical channel with a very similar frequency to the home transponder. Mark the current twist, slacken the lnb collar clamp and twist the lnb in small steps till the home transponder has the optimal quality. If the lnb can be moved back and forwards you can repeat to find the optimal focus point. Tighten the lnb collar clamp.

While you are up there turn off the Humax, disconnect the f connectors and check for water ingress and corrosion. Water in the cables can knock out specific frequencies and if it tracks down the cables into the box can turn it into a door stop.

You can get the exact figures for your location by going to http://www.dishpointer.com, enter your postcode and select 28.2 followed by 28.5. You get a Google Earth display you can zoom into and drag the pointer to the exact location of the dish. Note the different skew for the two points.

Good luck, it sounds difficult but after doing it a few times it's not as difficult as you might think.

| Sat 30 May 2015 17:15:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

KeithT

I had the same problem on re-tuning my Humax Freesat box. My post code kept showing up as invalid. I became frustrated with this, and tried all the different ways to enter the post code and then finally it worked if I excluded the space between the first and second part of the code. I hope that helps anyone with the same problem.

Regards Keith.

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 12:24:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

KeithT - 21 minutes ago  » 
    I had the same problem on re-tuning my Humax Freesat box. My post code kept showing up as invalid. I became frustrated with this, and tried all the different ways to enter the post code and then finally it worked if I excluded the space between the first and second part of the code. I hope that helps anyone with the same problem.
    Regards Keith.

You only need the first part.

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 12:47:09 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

KeithT

I see! Thanks for that, Graham. It makes life so much easier when it all comes together.

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 12:49:35 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.