My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

iPhone/Android remote control App

(15 posts)
  1. markdarbyshire

markdarbyshire

Hi,

I'm interested in developing a native iPhone/Android app to control the Humax HDR. Having seen the one built that is available to add into the web interface, I think It would be fairly straight forward to do so.

So, my questions are...

Is there anything out there already doing this?

if no...

Is this something that might benefit the community?

I'll leave this here, and If it becomes relevant I would take great pleasure in contributing.

Thanks

Mark

| Mon 2 Apr 2012 22:24:52 #1 |
  2. oijonesey

oijonesey

[EDIT] Sorry removed this as I then spotted this is a Foxsat question not the Freeview HDR T2

| Tue 3 Apr 2012 14:23:38 #2 |
  3. markdarbyshire

markdarbyshire

I should add that I'd keep the source open and would not charge when adding it to the app store/android market.

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 10:51:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

Mark, to my knowledge there is no-one developing a native iPhone/Android remote app for the Foxsat HDR, though I do know that the web-interface remote plug-in is being used by people with iPhone and Android phones/tablets as a remote (for example to get around the limited range of the humax remote).

As you have probably seen, adrianf36 was the developer of the web-interface remote plug-in:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1613180-foxsat-hdr-web-interface-remote-control-plug.html

You may have seen the following already in his server-side scripting for the web-interface remote plug-in, but it works by sending codes to the binary /opt/bin/ir on the HDR (custom-written binary for this purpose). Run this binary in telnet to see the argument syntax. I've never developed anything for iphone/Android, but if you can script commands to this binary on the HDR, same as the web-interface scripts do, then you should be in business.

| Fri 6 Apr 2012 22:10:49 #4 |
  5. markdarbyshire

markdarbyshire

Hi,

Apologies for the time taken to reply I have been on holiday. I will take a look at the above and see what angle I can use to send the codes to the Humax. Once I've got that figured out I'll build a prototype and get it out for testing - also I'll set up a GIT so it all remains in the public domain.

I will be able to add a few beta testers to my apple dev account when the time comes, and make the android apk available at the same time.

Should be fun, and hopefully useful all round. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

| Sat 14 Apr 2012 23:53:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Get Go

I'd ask that you don't use any crappy spyware addons like AddSense AdMob, Flurry and Google Analytics etc.

Keep it as good, old fashioned, open source, no-strings-attached software please

And if possible could you also post the compiled .apk on GIT as well as on Google Play.

Thanks

| Mon 16 Apr 2012 12:34:47 #6 |
  7. markdarbyshire

markdarbyshire

That's fine. I don't mess with things like that, just want to make something useful. I' m currently messing with getting a telnet connection from the device. Once that's done the rest is GUI. Hope to have a early alpha very soon.

| Mon 16 Apr 2012 17:08:23 #7 |
  8. af123

af123

I wouldn't try to make this work over a telnet connection - rather just use the web CGI script to transmit commands, example:

http://1.2.3.4/plugin/remotecontrol/cgi-bin/remotesend.jim?signal=RECORD

Using telnet creates its own set of problems.

| Mon 16 Apr 2012 18:37:18 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Yes indeed - I would presume that all this would be only required to work on the local network, I would be a willing Android beta tester.

| Mon 16 Apr 2012 19:25:30 #9 |
  10. markdarbyshire

markdarbyshire

Yes the telnet approach looks to be a bit of a pain, mainly as i've
    been having a great time trying to write a mini telnet client. I think i'll persue it, just not for this project. I've got a long weekend coming up so this will give me a chance to get an android version together, i'll put the apk on the GIT site asap it will be bare bones, so imput on gui design and features will be welcome.

| Tue 1 May 2012 15:21:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.