My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freesat EPG design miffs. Is there a different version?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

harroagtepablo

Is there a visually better EPG available for the foxsat?

I ask because essentially I feel that the current freesat EPG needs a makeover.

Since freesat is at its heart an EPG, I hope the developers could take another look at it, make it more visually appealing - a choice of skins / colours would be a start - and declutter the screen to focus on delivering more info without resorting to button pushing.

General miffs about current EPG:

The white bar at the very top of the screen with the freesat icon seems totally wasted. Sure it bears the date and time but this is repeated again on the black bar - surely one clock and date is enough?

Also, the black area at the EPG top takes up about 1/5th of the screen and it seems largely wasted.

By decluttering the icons on the right of the black area (e.g where it says 'All Channels etc') I feel a fuller description of the program could be squeezed onscreen without having to press 'i'.

By omitting the white and black areas and with the EPG beginning directly at the screen's top I feel it may be possible to squeeze 2 or possibly 3 more channels onscreen.

Also the channel list at the left could be narrower if the channel number was omitted- again allowing for more useful detail such as program titles.

One of the reasons I say this is because I own a Topfield 5800 Freeview box and run an app caled mystuff.

Visually and functionally this EPG is superior to the humax freesat EPG - try some screenshots and judge for yourself:-

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Screenshots.cgi?shot=GridEPG&title=Grid%20EPG&t=1

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Screenshots.cgi?t=2

The mystuff EPG contains channel logos that visually pop instead of the bland greyed-out channel descriptions on the freesat.

Also I miss the mystuff EPG chain that allows the entire content of a single channel to be shown onscreen by a 2nd or 3rd press of the guide button on the remote.

Please don't think I'm one of those moaners that clog up many internet forums (not this forum, of course)

I love my humax but feel the EPG could be improved.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

Cheers.

Paul.

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 19:43:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

harroagtepablo - 1 hour ago  » 
    I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

I think the chances of it happening for the current box are relatively small; it is a relatively old design and I would have expected a new model before too long.

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 20:45:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidD

The Topfield MyStuff EPG is by far the best and can rightly be used as the de facto standard for comparisons purposes.

I agree with you about the Humax EPG. It's not the worst I've come across, but I will switch over to my 'Toppy' for program searches etc. in preference.

It would be a great improvement if the Humax adopted something similar.

| Sun 26 Feb 2012 15:03:07 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

harroagtepablo - 22 hours ago  » The white bar at the very top of the screen with the freesat icon seems totally wasted. Sure it bears the date and time but this is repeated again on the black bar - surely one clock and date is enough?

Where? Not on mine it isn't.

| Sun 26 Feb 2012 18:33:34 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

harroagtepablo - 23 hours ago  » 
    Is there a visually better EPG available for the foxsat?

No, not on the Humax or any other freesat box - see below.

Since freesat is at its heart an EPG
    Paul.

Which is why the look and feel of it is strictly controlled by Freesat! Make your suggestions to them...

Not that they listen, which might explain why manufacturers are leaving Freesat in droves - not that there were many in the first place...

| Sun 26 Feb 2012 19:41:56 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

harroagtepablo

Thx for the replies

Noodling round the net there does seem to be a replacement epg:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1528548-web-interface-v2-0-humax-foxsat-hdr.html

anyone had any experience of this?

Also of interest is the wotsat guide to modding your humax

http://issuu.com/whatsatellitedigitaltv/docs/project_humax_foxsat_hdr_linux_mods

Thought you guys might like the links

Apologies if I'm slow on the uptake and u already know about all this stuff.

Pretty new to all this sat tech.

Cheers

Paul.

PS Re gomezz not having the double clock it's on the EPG white banner just under 'receiving broadcast info' dialogue.

And on the black banner pretty much right underneath.

| Mon 27 Feb 2012 15:01:23 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

harroagtepablo - 1 minute ago  » 
    Thx for the replies
    Noodling round the net there does seem to be a replacement epg:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1528548-web-interface-v2-0-humax-foxsat-hdr.html
    anyone had any experience of this?

The mod doesn't change the built in epg, the pictures are the epg you see in a browser window on your PC.

| Mon 27 Feb 2012 15:04:15 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

harroagtepablo - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Thx for the replies

PS Re gomezz not having the double clock it's on the EPG white banner just under 'receiving broadcast info' dialogue.
    And on the black banner pretty much right underneath.

The 'time' shown in the black banner are the timings for the currently highlighted programme in the EPG

| Mon 27 Feb 2012 15:05:56 #8 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That's what I have. So not the same info displayed twice, at all, at all.

Actually my main gripe is when time-slipping live is that it is not blatantly shown as to how many minutes behind your are whereas when chase-playing a recording it is clear.

| Mon 27 Feb 2012 15:07:59 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

harroagtepablo

FYI the new style EPG is in the first post of the avforums link

This EPG seems to be an add-one to Raydons Media & File Server 4.0.4, with web interface v2.0 added.

Presumably this EPG replaces the existing one?

Out of curiosity what happens when the humax OTA update replaces the old one? Does it still work?

Sorry I'm all questions.

But that new EPG appeals at least visually.

Oh, yeah, soz gomezz.

Newbie.

| Mon 27 Feb 2012 15:12:36 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.