My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

It’s all gone a bit quiet

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

MrMiggins - 57 mins ago  » 
    I hope anything Humax is working on to replace the Aura is a massive flop! They will never get another penny of my money after they broke so many promises. Saddest thing of all.....the Aura is a great bit of kit,and could be everything they promised, but they've obviously abandoned it.....and every sucker that bought one. It doesn't need much..... it's so nearly there. Why abandon it? Humax is dead to me.

Likewise and I bought 2 auras and have been purchasing Humax boxes since they started but no bloody more!

| Mon 21 Nov 2022 19:26:43 #81 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChrispyDuck

An 18 month contract to Sky Stream is £468, my two Humax Aura cost £558 I feel a proper charlie.

My bet is nothing changes over the next 18 months on the Aura.

| Mon 21 Nov 2022 21:26:06 #82 |
  3. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

ChrispyDuck - 11 hours ago  » 
    An 18 month contract to Sky Stream is £468, my two Humax Aura cost £558 I feel a proper charlie.

Your £558 outlay was a one-off cost. After your 18 month contract runs out, $ky will probably up the ante and you'll be trapped in their money-making machine for years.

I understand people's annoyance with Humax if they expected to get Netflix and other streaming platforms on the Aura. Did Humax actually promise this? Personally, I'm not interested in Netflix et al, so the Aura (despite its issues) works fine for me as a vanilla recording device.

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 9:34:32 #83 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Totally agree Geoff_W.

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 10:13:17 #84 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChrispyDuck

Geoff_W
    After your 18 month contract runs out, $ky will probably up the ante and you'll be trapped in their money-making machine for years.

Indeed which is why I didn't go for an 18 month contract, I have 31 day contract I can cancel whenever Sky starts their usual schnenigans.

I am glad your happy with your box, to be honest I was, but the drip, drip, drip of no updates, lack of certain apps means for me the box has not lived up to the promise of an advanced piece of kit that was future proofed.

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 10:20:03 #85 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

DaveE - 4 hours ago  » 
    Totally agree Geoff_W.

Me too!

I also still use my trusty HDR upstairs, but even with the custom firmware it can’t do half what the Aura can.

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 14:27:36 #86 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

Why can’t Aura be customised??

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 17:37:08 #87 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

kr002 - 18 mins ago  » 
    Why can’t Aura be customised??

Developing custom firmware isn't easy and you need people with a fair amount of programming skill and the time to spend on such a project. Also Humax have beefed up the security compared to the earlier boxes that have custom firmware. It isn't impossible but it will need some special people to do it; unless of course Humax are prepared to assist.

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 17:58:56 #88 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

viewer777777777

Going to add my own small voice here. I've had an aura box for around a year now and over that time I would say it has become less stable. It now regularly crashes for no decernable reason. I can't remember the last time I saw any update for it.
    The implimentation of google tv is clearly not to standard, so many apps don't work with it, the built in chrome cast has little support from many app manufacturers again probably because it does not pass cert vetting.
    Humax could have had a winning product here, but instead, greedy speed to market and lack of investment in the h/w and s/w have left a lack luster product and a bunch of people like me who will not buy from them again for probably another 10-15 years.

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 21:44:39 #89 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChrispyDuck

Martin Liddle » 
    Developing custom firmware isn't easy and you need people with a fair amount of programming skill and the time to spend on such a project. Also Humax have beefed up the security compared to the earlier boxes that have custom firmware. It isn't impossible but it will need some special people to do it; unless of course Humax are prepared to assist.

I wonder how many Aura there are actually out in the wild. I remember the Dreambox had lots of support primarily because it sold in more countries than just the UK.

As Martin says it takes a lot to hack a new firmware

| Wed 23 Nov 2022 10:42:39 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.