My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Lightning strike

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi,
    Recent thunderstorm hit nearby overhead elec cables and power surge blew my Foxsat HDR, Skybox, 2 x toasters etc. Have replaced 1 unit with new HDR 1100s. How can I recover recordings from old drive?. I have a spare drive and an external enclosure but unable to read data on Foxsat drive. Assume possible incompatibility like Linux?? & Win 10.
    Any ideas.

Thanks.

John

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 13:51:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnA - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have a spare drive and an external enclosure but unable to read data on Foxsat drive. Assume possible incompatibility like Linux?? & Win 10.

Probably the easiest way would be to install EXT2FSD which will allow Windows to read Linux EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 file systems; see http://www.ext2fsd.com/

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 15:10:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi Martin,

Did that and installed the EXTD etc. it locked up as soon as I connected my enclosure with the Foxsat drive in it.

Would not close and had to do a hard turn off of my computer. Now my computer will not re-start - just sits and waits.

F2 or F8 will not start at boot either!

Annoyed to say the least as I have only just replaced my hard drive and re-installed Win 10 and all my software.

Any ideas as I now have what seems to be a dead computer because of this bit of software!

John

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 16:28:22 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Assuming a Windows 10 PC - I seem to recall that it will offer alternatives after three successive failed boots.

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 17:32:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi,

Since the above and many shut downs and restarts via the on/off button on my desktop I managed to get my pc to fire up via a win 10 media dvd.

Uninstalled the software and made sure no evidence remained.

Needless to say I shall give up trying to recover recordings from the hard drive.

John

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 19:41:42 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

One suggestion is to put the disk in a USB caddy and try it on the new unit.
    It may map as several drive (one per partition) so you will need to try and find the partition which holds the recordings.

Post if this works or not please.

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 21:19:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

JohnA - 4 hours ago  » 
    Annoyed to say the least as I have only just replaced my hard drive and re-installed Win 10 and all my software.
    John

The next time you "re-install Win 10 and all my software" - or now, if everything's working perfectly - it would be a good idea to make an image of the system with Acronis True Image. Then, when something like that - or worse - happens again, instead of having to waste hours messing about, Acronis will restore your system, software, data and everything else exactly as it was before in just few minutes.

It's saved me countless times and I haven't had to reinstall programs or OS for more than a decade. It gives you great peace of mind to know that whatever virus or software problem you may encounter, your computer will be effortlessly restored to a pristine state in two or three minutes. ATI has never once failed me.

It makes system images automatically at any interval you decide and allows you to verify their integrity.

| Fri 8 Jun 2018 21:22:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi,
    Thanks for the comments.
    Repassac - I actually talked to Humax UK Tech support & they told me not to connect my enclosure/disk to the new Humax unit in case it copied the data to the new drive!!. I had thought of doing this originally as my enclosure is usb3 in/out based. I will try it later.

Marius - thanks for the comments about Acronis, I will look into that as the new enclosures/Seagate 3.5" disks are to replace my WD backup drives as they were found to be limited when I tried to back up from them.

Thanks again guys.

John

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 11:14:53 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Repassac,

I have now fitted the old disk into a Inateck enclosure and connected the USB3 lead to the new DDR, switched on the unit, DDR and tv and hey presto by switching to that drive I can play all the old recordings.

Had to check how to safely eject media etc but once sorted it all looks fine.

Many thanks.

John

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 16:07:51 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

John you may not be able to play HD recordings (unless you have the custom firmware plus Nowster's patch) as these are normally encryped.

Would be rather interested if you can.

| Sat 9 Jun 2018 16:16:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.