My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Losing second input signal

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

I have had my Foxsat box for a few years and recently I am experiencing the same problem.
    This morning I was recording a programme and found I was unable to receive any other channels, getting a no signal message. After the recording had ended, I went into menu “Diagnosis” and saw that there was no signal on the second input from the LNB. I switched off the box, waited the switched it back on again and both inputs were back.
    Now for my question! Does this rebooting mean that my box is the problem or does rebooting somehow have an effect upon the LNB indicating a failing LNB?
    Thanks in advance.

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 10:54:41 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our Forum.

Which box do you have. There are several boxes that fit your query with just the name Foxsat box.

Guessing due to the age it is likely to be a Foxsat-HDR but it could equally be one of the 2nd generation Foxsat boxes.

Foxsat-HDR-1000S, Foxsat-HDR-1010S or Foxsat-HDR-1100s.

As the UI is different can you identify the box you have.

Generally problems like this are caused by badly fitted or loose screw on f connectors. With the box turned off at the mains. Disconnect each cable and unscrew the f connector assuming it's a screw on type rather than crimped. One. Look carefully for a whisper of screen touching the centre core. The connectors should be a tight fit. If they are loose you have the wrong size for your coax size. You may have moved the box slightly when you turned it off re-connecting a loose F connector.

There is lots of demos on the internet how to fit screw on f connectors.

Look carefully for any signs of damp.

More seriously the water may be getting into the coax cables at the lnb end. Water can knock out reception on some frequencies and not others. If water tracks down the coax into you box it will turn it into a doorstop.

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 11:28:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thank very much for your response. I think I have the Foxsat HDR as I bought it when the Humax Freesat units were first introduced. I will check all the things you have referred to in your reply.
    It confuses me though in some ways that rebooting seems to solve problem for a time. I would have thought that if there were connection problems or water ingress into the cables, rebooting would have no effect......or perhaps it would!
    Thanks again, appreciated.

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 11:51:57 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

biffta - 7 mins ago  » 
    Thank very much for your response. I think I have the Foxsat HDR as I bought it when the Humax Freesat units were first introduced. I will check all the things you have referred to in your reply.
    It confuses me though in some ways that rebooting seems to solve problem for a time. I would have thought that if there were connection problems or water ingress into the cables, rebooting would have no effect......or perhaps it would!
    Thanks again, appreciated.

When you rebooted the unit. It may have booted into a different transponder to the one that tuner 2 was trying to access when you found the signal missing.

Generally the higher the frequency damp in the cables has a worse effect. In time if left you will lose progressively more and more transponders.

It's possible your box may be in single cable mode.

Try the following and report what happens.

With box on enter 955 to move to 955 BBC 1 N West 10802 H. Press the record button to start a recording.

Now enter 956 to move to 956 BBC 1 NE & C 10802 H Press the record button to start a second recording. Tuner 1 is now using only 1 tuner to record both channels. Any further recording/viewing will need tuner 2.

Enter 958 to to move to 958 BBC 1 Oxford 10817 V. (different polarisation to the above 2). If you can view this and live pause the box is fully working in 2 cable mode.

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 12:19:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Hi, thanks again. Tried all the above steps and successful in all.
    As I said in my op, rebooting returned both LNB inputs as shown in diagnostics whereas prior to the reboot only input 1 was working. That’s what promoted to consider a possible box fault as I’ve had it for many years.

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 12:26:41 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

biffta - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi, thanks again. Tried all the above steps and successful in all.
    As I said in my op, rebooting returned both LNB inputs as shown in diagnostics whereas prior to the reboot only input 1 was working. That’s what promoted to consider a possible box fault as I’ve had it for many years.

Most likely as I already posted is that you have a dodgy connection. The box is currently working fine. No way a reboot would have fixed it unless you moved the box a bit and restored the connection.

Was the box by any chance recording two from the same transponder at the same time ? If so tuner 2 would only show a signal from specific transponders. That's not a fault it's just the limitations of having two tuners and using one of them to record two at the same time.

If it happens again press the channel up/down button it will cycle through the channels you can watch.

If you repeat the above test but lastly choose 157 Dave and try and record it.

Guessing the box will say channel can't be recorded without stopping one of the two recordings. . This is a high band transponder tuner 1 is using low band.. Using the programme up/down button will cycle through the few high band channels there are in the epg.

Not tried it but guessing diagnostics will show what you experienced, until you move to one of the channels on the list below.

157 Dave 12129 V HBV
    158 Drama 12129 V HBV
    159 Yesterday 12129 V HBV

146 Challenge 11836 H HBH
    147 Challenge +1 11836 H HBH
    150 DMAX 11836 H HBH
    151 DMAX +1 11836 H HBH
    165 Forces TV 11836 H HBH
    148 Food Network 12382 H HBH
    149 Food Network +1 12382 H HBH
    168 QUEST +1 12382 H HBH
    169 QUEST RED +1 12382 H HBH
    170 QUEST RED 12382 H HBH
    172 QUEST 12382 H HBH

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 13:51:45 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thanks very much. Should have proof read my last post. Meant prompted not promoted! Damned predictive text.

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 13:54:54 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.