My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Movies stop short of end

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pewe

I have an 1100s and have an issue with the playing of movies from an external USB stick.
    When a movie being played gets towards the end it stops about 30 seconds before the end and the next movie on the stick begins to play. If the movie playing is the last on the stick the unit continues to play the sound, but the content list is displayed instead of the picture with a message 'unsupported format' above the list.

Has anyone any recommendations to help resolve this.

Thanks

| Mon 13 Jul 2020 0:16:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pewe - 10 hours ago  » 
    I have an 1100s and have an issue with the playing of movies from an external USB stick.

Do you know what format the movies are in please?

| Mon 13 Jul 2020 10:43:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pewe

Martin - they are mostly .mkv, but there are also some avi and mp4 which do the same thing.

| Mon 13 Jul 2020 10:45:45 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pewe - 4 mins ago  » 
    Martin - they are mostly .mkv , but there are also some avi and mp4 which do the same thing.

.AVI and .mkv (matroska video) are containers not a file format. The info we need is the Video compression codec and audio compression codec and the framerate within the container.

Avi (Audio Video Interface) in particlular can contain many video formats including uncompressed video

Download MediaInfo.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Open a file. Select View Tree. Export the details to a text file and post the text here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

| Mon 13 Jul 2020 10:55:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pewe

The files all seem to have similar codecs as shown for the mkv and mp4 files in the attached

Attachments

1. mediainfo2.jpg (60.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    2. mediainfo1.jpg (58.8 KB, 3 downloads) 3 years old
    | Mon 13 Jul 2020 21:52:41 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's likely the frame rate is the issue. 23.976 fps.

You have only posted the bare bones of the info. The full view is found in file View - Tree. This has the option to export the full data as a text file. This can be posted in a post as straight forward text.

The Humax boxes are designed to work with UK 50Hz refresh 25fps for HD channels Video compression H264 AVC and Audio Dolby Digital (ac3). SD 25 fps Video Compression mpeg2 and audio mpeg1 layer 2.

The best way to play back files like yours is use a 4K Firestick. Install Plex on it. Install Plex on say a laptop and plug in a USB drive with your files on it. Set up plex to serve your files on the usb drive. Use plex on the firestick to play back the files.

Plex can switch the TV to playback at the correct framerate (23.976 in your example).

https://www.aftvnews.com/explanation-of-the-new-frame-rate-matching-feature-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

You might want to experiment using free AVIdemux to remux a few to either .MKV or .MP4 containers.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Example of the data you should post

General
    Complete name : D:/23.976 Example.txt
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 2.05 GiB
    Duration : 2 h 3 min
    Overall bit rate : 2 372 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf57.71.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 2 200 kb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 23.564 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 24.390 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.060
    Stream size : 1.88 GiB (92%)
    Writing library : x264 core 142 r2479 dd79a61
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2200 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel(s)_Original : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 171 MiB (8%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 8:44:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

pewe

I got hold of a 4K Firestick and that seems to have done the trick.
    I didn't use Plex. Instead I bought an OTG cable for the firestick which allows me to add a USB device (individual stick or a hub to add more than one stick or other usb devices) and I now play the videos with a version of VLC for Firestick and they play perfectly all the way to the end.

Thanks for pointing me in the Firestick direction.

| Sat 18 Jul 2020 12:38:28 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pewe - 3 hours ago  » 
    I didn't use Plex. Instead I bought an OTG cable for the firestick which allows me to add a USB device (individual stick or a hub to add more than one stick or other usb devices) and I now play the videos with a version of VLC for Firestick and they play perfectly all the way to the end.

Plex for the firestick client and the PC with the source drive is free.

If you look closely at 24 fps content played back in this way panning shots will look a bit jerky as the inbuilt USB media player will recode to 60Hz. The Plex media client switches the TV refresh to exactly the correct frame rate. Playback even on fast pans does not drop any frames so there is no visible jump as a frame is dropped.

This is what you see if you play back a blu-ray on a HD Ready TV that does not support 1080p24.

Some are more susceptible to this than others.

Plex is free for the firestick client and the PC serving the files from a USB drive. So you might as well have a play.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plex+server&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB855GB855&sxsrf=ALeKk03Ci46ELCg3INzP0lvwbh9EQsQLqw:1595089719750&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=mItmeCkSpwBx4M%252CUTTdeRAQRfLYrM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6o9jEL0aPl0t-CuqTgzqk8wUeSQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjCpoWhnNfqAhX2ZxUIHR0QApUQ_h0wHnoECBAQCQ&biw=1536&bih=760#imgrc=mItmeCkSpwBx4M

| Sat 18 Jul 2020 16:26:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

pewe

grahamlthompson - 6 hours ago  » 

pewe - 3 hours ago  » 

If you look closely at 24 fps content played back in this way panning shots will look a bit jerky as the inbuilt USB media player will recode to 60Hz. The Plex media client switches the TV refresh to exactly the correct frame rate. Playback even on fast pans does not drop any frames so there is no visible jump as a frame is dropped.
    This is what you see if you play back a blu-ray on a HD Ready TV that does not support 1080p24.
    Plex is free for the firestick client and the PC serving the files from a USB drive. So you might as well have a play.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=plex+server&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB855GB855&sxsrf=ALeKk03Ci46ELCg3INzP0lvwbh9EQsQLqw:1595089719750&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=mItmeCkSpwBx4M%252CUTTdeRAQRfLYrM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6o9jEL0aPl0t-CuqTgzqk8wUeSQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjCpoWhnNfqAhX2ZxUIHR0QApUQ_h0wHnoECBAQCQ&biw=1536&bih=760#imgrc=mItmeCkSpwBx4M

Thanks for the info.
    I have the server running on my laptop and have used it to view my photo collection.
    I have played some video on the Firestick direct from an attached USB stick and not really noticed the issues you mention.
    I will however look more closely and experiment with USB stick vs plex to see the differences.

Thanks for your input.

| Sat 18 Jul 2020 23:22:42 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pewe - 10 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 6 hours ago  » 

pewe - 3 hours ago  » 

Thanks for the info.
    I have the server running on my laptop and have used it to view my photo collection.
    I have played some video on the Firestick direct from an attached USB stick and not really noticed the issues you mention.
    I will however look more closely and experiment with USB stick vs plex to see the differences.
    Thanks for your input.

Plex puts up a short message confirming it's matching the footage native frame rate.

| Sun 19 Jul 2020 9:54:18 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.