My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Network connection stopped working

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

Hi, does anyone know of a software issue that might have caused my Ethernet port to stop working? I have the customized firmware and only really use it for the remote scheduling and backing up my recording schedule. Today I wanted to backup the recording schedule before I scan for new channels. I tried to connect today from a browser and noticed I couldn't. I checked the remote scheduler page and saw that it last saw my hummy at 4:30 am on Thursday, 27th February 2014. I checked the internet settings on the box and it says it wasn't connected. The cable is fine and the router is fine. I have a YouView box that connects fine. I swapped the cables over and the YouView box connects and the Hummy doesn't. This all suggests that the Ethernet port on the hummy has stopped working. Has anyone else seen this? I have also noticed that if the hdmi cable in the back of the hummy gets knocked slightly the picture on the tv goes. Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. IMO it looks like a hardware issue.
    Thanks,
    Steve

| Mon 31 Mar 2014 18:17:10 #1 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

You might have received an OTA update. If so, it would have rendered the custom firmware dormant.

Is the current version 1.03.12? That is the version that was broadcast.

| Mon 31 Mar 2014 21:58:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

yes it is 1.03.12.
    When I go to Internet Settings via the menu options it says "Network disconnected" and there are no flashing lights on the Ethernet port.
    I did manage to get it connected for a few mins this AM but then it stopped. I opened up the box and given the Ethernet port connections a good clean. No change.

| Tue 1 Apr 2014 18:04:52 #3 |
  4. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Try the obvious things (if you haven't done so already) like using a different Ethernet cable, and check your router settings to make sure the DHCP server is running if your unit gets its IP address allocated automatically.

On the Humax, go into internet settings>configure LAN and see if you are on manual IP or DHCP. In either case, check that the settings look reasonable (for example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.0.1 the gateway address should match this value, the IP of the Humax should be 192.168.0.x [x=2 to 254], the subnet mask will probably be 255.255.255.0, and the DNS value will depend on your internet provider). If this looks OK, click apply and see if it works. If not and you are on DHCP try switching to manual, set the values as above and click apply. Or if you are on manual, switch to DHCP on the Humax and click apply.

It could be a hardware fault in the Ethernet port itself. This could be fixed by replacing the motherboard, but this is expensive and your old recordings won't play with a new motherboard installed unless they have already been decrypted. Alternatively you could switch to WiFi.

| Wed 2 Apr 2014 13:56:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Stevieboy, as Wallace was intimating, the box has had an OTA (over the air) upgrade, some might call it a downgrade, about a month ago.

If it were my box, I'd take a note of the schedule, factory reset the box, download and install the latest custom firmware which will be the 1.03.12 mod 2.22, do another factory reset and I'm sure the box would be back to normal.
    It's pointless trying to diagnose a network problem without knowing what state the box is in and resetting/re-installing/resetting will definitely do that.
    If there are still problems then follow Monty's advice and if that doesn't help then report back

p.s. a factory reset won't wipe the recordings

| Wed 2 Apr 2014 14:30:06 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

Hi, thanks for the responses. I have tried all of the usual things (swapping cables etc). As far as internet settings are concerned it looks as good as it can do given that there is no network connection. the router is fine as my Youview box works fine. I also updated the firmware on Monday.
    This morning I ordered an Edimax EW-7711USN dongle which I see various people have used successfully with the HDR Fox T2.
    I really think it's a hardware issue as I was able to connect to the network for a few mins yesterday. Portal was fine and I was able to backup the recording schedule etc I moved the box back under the tv and it went again. This time it hasn't come back.

The only thing I have not done is a factory reset. I might try that later or tomorrow as the box is recording now.

I very much appreciate your advice.

| Wed 2 Apr 2014 18:27:33 #6 |
  7. athomson

athomson

special member

Maybe InSIDDer on a smart phone will tell you how strong the WiFi signal is under your TV. It may be being blocked somehow. Just a thought.

Andy

| Wed 2 Apr 2014 18:48:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

Andy it's a wired connection. This wired connection has worked ok for the last 2 or 3 years and stopped after Feb 27th.
    Thanx

| Wed 2 Apr 2014 19:05:53 #8 |
  9. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The factory reset is worth a go, but I think you are right: it is probably hardware related. Reading the forums here and on hummy.tv, I have heard of no one else losing ethernet functionality with the software update to 1.03.12. The dongle you have ordered is good. It is too chunky to fit into the rear USB port with a HDMI cable also connected, but it comes with a reasonably long extension cord so you can find a good spot for reception and hide it away. One tip is to set your router for single channel wireless (20MHz rather than 40 MHz). I found that with dual channel WiFi the Humax appears to connect at twice the speed but the connection is less stable.

| Wed 2 Apr 2014 20:06:51 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

Factory reset done and still the same. Thanks again everyone for the tips. I'll wait for the dongle to arrive and hopefully all will be resolved.

Thanks

| Thu 3 Apr 2014 9:38:56 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.