My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Newbie experiences

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blaz

hello!

I've been an avid foxsat user for nearly a day! thought I would share some of my early thoughts.

I HDMI out to my Onkyo HTX-22HDX speakers, then HDMI out to my TV. Quality seems fine but there are seemingly no remote codes for my Onkyo which needs to be on to transfer the signal. Shame.

Volumes are complicated as my TV remote adjusts my Onkyo volume. I seem to have fun getting a comfortable volume between the 3 units.

How do you series record? I only see options to repeat daily / weekly etc.

I wouldn't really call the +1 channels at all - they are more like advertising opportunities?

I saw a Wimbledon 3D preview on BBC HD - will be interesting

I read that the current program is buffered for up to 2 hours - but if during that time I start to record it, I only seem to get the recording from that point?

Looking forward to stopping paying for SKY

| Wed 29 Jun 2011 16:47:51 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Easy ones first

You have to press OK on a epg entry to get the series/one off recording options. (not the red record button). If you look at the top right of the epg when on an entry little icons show options like series recording, split events etc.

You can't rewind the buffer and record from where you have rewound to.

Tip Rather than pressing guide and waiting for the new one to download try pressing the schedule button followed by Red. You won't lose the video and audio on the channel you are viewing this way and can set recordings instantly.

You might like to consider investing in a Harmony remote to solve the problem of having to control the AV amp. I presume you are using your AV amp to use the AC3 surround sound from the HD channels. Unlike your Sky box hdmi outputs 5.1 if it's available.

Welcome by the way.

| Wed 29 Jun 2011 17:06:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

blaz

Thanks Graham - will play when I get home re series recording.

Sky would record from the start of the buffer - but thanks for that update

Like the tip thanks - shame the schedule button is hidden down the way - not for me but for me explaining to the family

Have had a Harmony before - enjoyed it but the family refused to use it - I may wait until they suggest it this time ;o)

| Thu 30 Jun 2011 10:38:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

blaz

Updates - I removed ARC audio return channel from the Onkyo and the power off option and linked to it using Samsung Anynet. I removed the power up volume setting too - which was confusing the TV and Humax which thought the volume was per the last level. So now the volumes are not confused and I found a level that I like.

This morning though - having left my Onkyo on all night - and bearing in mind it acts as a HDMI hub - the Humax was working - sending sound at least to the Onkyo but nothing on the TV. Maybe as I had removed the analogue aerial from the TV - as it is useless. On the way out to work I connected the Humax directly to the TV to get it going again - will investigate later.

| Thu 30 Jun 2011 10:47:38 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

blaz - 11 minutes ago  » 

Like the tip thanks - shame the schedule button is hidden down the way - not for me but for me explaining to the family
    Have had a Harmony before - enjoyed it but the family refused to use it - I may wait until they suggest it this time ;o)

Hence the Schedule and Media soft buttons on my Harmony next to a soft RED. Red is is also used in media to switch the media source to a usb connected drive.

My AV amp only offers two options for audio input by hdmi. Intercept it and send to the speakers or pass it on to the TV. Nothing fancy like ARC, it's quite elderly.

I should say that my hdr is connected to the amp by spdif. It's under the TV and the rack with the amp is 10M away.

| Thu 30 Jun 2011 10:54:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

blaz

grahamlthompson - 4 days ago  » 
    Easy ones first
    You have to press OK on a epg entry to get the series/one off recording options. (not the red record button)

great - worked - thanks!

| Mon 4 Jul 2011 8:24:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

blaz

recorder timings - I'm on 'auto' start / stop and don't see 'accurate' - hence missed 12 minutes of a recording (that I could watch on iplayer so did)

Please can you confirm where 'accurate' is set for accommodating time changes? thanks

| Mon 4 Jul 2011 8:26:27 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If Menu/Settings/Recordings Recording start time and Recording End Time is set to Auto then accurate recording is enabled.

Any recording you set from pressing OK in the epg and choose one off or series will use it. You can tell because the box wakes up from sby 15 minutes before a recording is due to start if AR is being used. Unfortunately some broadcasters either don't implement it properly or screw up the timing of the signals.

| Mon 4 Jul 2011 9:07:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

blaz

blaz - 5 hours ago  » 
    recorder timings - I'm on 'auto' start / stop and don't see 'accurate' - hence missed 12 minutes of a recording (that I could watch on iplayer so did)
    Please can you confirm where 'accurate' is set for accommodating time changes? thanks

so researching more I now think that accurate is channel specific? Even worse accurate is freeview specific? I was trying to record Not Going Out on BBC HD.

| Mon 4 Jul 2011 14:23:39 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

blaz - 1 hour ago  » 

blaz - 5 hours ago  » 

so researching more I now think that accurate is channel specific? Even worse accurate is freeview specific? I was trying to record Not Going Out on BBC HD.

Not sure what you mean by Freeview specific, Freesat uses a near identical system. BBC channels are usually pretty reliable. You weren't recording something else that overan were you ? The box will complete the previous recording if it overuns and it has to use the same tuner.

There is no specific setting for Accurate Record it's automatically applied if the conditions I posted as to auto stop and start are set.

| Mon 4 Jul 2011 15:43:28 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.